Options

Rita, Sue & Bob Too

2»

Comments

• Options
    makomako Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    AppleTango wrote: »
    I bet you'd both feel differently about it if a 39 year old man was having sex with your 15 year old daughters.

Still doesn't make the character a paedophile.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Not one negative post in this thread thus far.

Who knew a movie about a paedophile could be such a crowd pleaser.

Ephebophile not paedophile. An important distinction.

If I was to enforce a moral code on every piece of entertainment I would be left with Fifi and the Flowertots. Besides I don't have daughters.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Send 'em up Manningham Lane!
  • Options
    Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not forgetting the immortal chat-up line - 'Fancy a jump?'
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet you'd both feel differently about it if a 39 year old man was having sex with your 15 year old daughters.

Just lost your bet then. I'd be very angry with the man, but despite my anger I would know the distinction between a paedophile and an ephebophile.

Plus, my enjoyment of films doesn't depend on a ridiculous comparison such as the one you've made above.

Anyway - where did it say in the film that they were 15 and not 16?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Not one negative post in this thread thus far.

Who knew a movie about a paedophile could be such a crowd pleaser.

I think you missed the point of this film. I don't think there is anything in it worth condoning but what people do appreciate is the way the way in which those gritty subjects such as under-age sex, racism, poverty, alcoholism and domestic violence are handled, with a sense of compassion and wry humour.
  • Options
    AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway - where did it say in the film that they were 15 and not 16?

It states that they are 15 in the official blurb of the film which is on the DVD cover etc.

I'm not sure if it is ever actually mentioned in the film.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People enjoy films about serial killers murdering teenagers in horrible ways, sometims even elevating the killer to heroic status, which is indescribably worse than a 39 year old shagging a 15 year old.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It looks like a frozen sausage!"
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    No one's mentioned the director - the great Alan Clarke (The Firm, Made in Britain) :eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Send 'em up Manningham Lane!

The line: "Send 'em on Manningham Lane, it's the best place for 'em" is a reference to Bradford's Red Light district - but, in fact, it was Lumb Lane which was synonymous with (and infamous for) prostitution in Bradford during the 1980s, albeit Lumb Lane is in Manningham.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FYI :-

Maureen Long, who had a non-speaking role in the film as Rita's mother, had survived an attack by the Yorkshire Ripper.

There is a new film out about the Yorkshire ripper called 'Peter'. I think.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    porshacat wrote: »
    The line: "Send 'em on Manningham Lane, it's the best place for 'em" is a reference to Bradford's Red Light district - but, in fact, it was Lumb Lane which was synonymous with (and infamous for) prostitution in Bradford during the 1980s, albeit Lumb Lane is in Manningham.

Porsha, think about who you are talking to!

You'll be explaining 'Spencer Place' is next! ;)
  • Options
    AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porshacat wrote: »

Thanks Wikipedia.