Options

"Objectification" amongst gays?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
Forum Member
You know how sometimes some people go on all the time about men and society "objectifying" women - does anyone go on about this in gay society?

I say this because, and please correct me if I'm stereotyping, gay men are infamous for being fabulous.

Does anyone who has a problem with the "objectification of women" have a problem with how high the sexy bar is set for gay men?

I'm not really sure where lesbians fit into all of this.

Comments

• Options
    TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabulous?
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »

I say this because, and please correct me if I'm stereotyping, gay men are infamous for being fabulous.

You're stereotyping, yes. Gay men I know are no more fabulous than anyone else - in fact, they're prety much like other people - kind of ordinary, really. And none the worse for that.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a difference though. It is men who objectify women and men who historically have been the 'species' traditionally holding women and feminism down.

Gay men objectify other gay men and the only holding down usually involves lube and handcuffs, so it's not the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    There's a difference though. It is men who objectify women and men who historically have been the 'species' traditionally holding women and feminism down.
    Perhaps my understanding of what people mean when they say "objectification" is not that good. Perhaps it's kind of subjective.

My understanding of it is "finding people physically attractive", and that there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps my understanding of what people mean when they say "objectification" is not that good. Perhaps it's kind of subjective.

My understanding of it is "finding people physically attractive", and that there's nothing wrong with that.

But some would argue that by objectifying them as in holding them up as objects of attraction, you simplify and dismiss women's role in society beyond that. So that they are merely seen as desirable objects for male lust as opposed to people entitled or 'permitted' to do all the 'man' stuff like get jobs, run companies and become elected leaders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But some would argue that by objectifying them as in holding them up as objects of attraction, you simplify and dismiss women's role in society beyond that. So that they are merely seen as desirable objects for male lust as opposed to people entitled or 'permitted' to do all the 'man' stuff like get jobs, run companies and become elected leaders.
    But people can be sexy and intelligent at the same time. We are all sentient objects!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But people can be sexy and intelligent at the same time. We are all sentient objects!

I don't disagree but this is what the objection is to 'objectification'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't disagree but this is what the objection is to 'objectification'.
    :) Thanks for trying to explain.
  • Options
    Donk25Donk25 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your post is a valid question but in all honesty I pretty much doubt it OP

However I think you`ll find Gay people are all from the same society as hetrosexuals the only reason gay people tend to stick together in their own comfort groups is because they don`t feel fully accepted by the hetrosexual side of society just yet and don`t fully trust it enough to embrace them and I can see why what with the recent headlines in the news!

Its a shame really because this is all because of stereotyping and ignorance! such as the fact people always assume that gay men are camp for instance when in reality more than half of gay men are as butch and manly as straight men are and do pretty much the same things as straight men do in terms of their behaviour except they chat up guys not girls!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    If they banned John Barrowman from the TV screen it would rebalance the perspective.