Has Frankie Boyle gone TOO far now?

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see what the problem is here... the PM joke was funny... the only censorship of comedy should be the off switch... I don't like a lot of FB's stuff but hey humour is subjective... I really cannot be bothered with the hysterical 'offended' by everything brigade... show some self censorship ffs and don't look... it isn't rocket science.

Wish we had a like button on here.

I agree with you about the 'I don't like it so no one should and it should be banned - think of the children' mentality. If I don't like it, I don't watch it. Life really can be that simple :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't see what the problem is here... the PM joke was funny... the only censorship of comedy should be the off switch... I don't like a lot of FB's stuff but hey humour is subjective... I really cannot be bothered with the hysterical 'offended' by everything brigade... show some self censorship ffs and don't look... it isn't rocket science.

I don't think most people are offended.
    I think most people are just disappointed to see a comedian with a lot of talent deteriorate into just saying things that are attempts at trying to shock people.
    He seems to have reduced himself to the level of school playground type jokes. Like when you see young teenagers vie for attention and try to impress each other by trying way too hard to think up things designed to shock people.

He does have a lot of talent as a comedian. But he just seems to have abandoned that talent.
    Don't get me wrong, he can still be funny, but it comes across as so very contrived and forced. As though he has to try his very best to shock as much as he can, and the talent takes a back seat.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think most people are offended.
    I think most people are just disappointed to see a comedian with a lot of talent deteriorate into just saying things that are attempts at trying to shock people.
    He seems to have reduced himself to the level of school playground type jokes where young teenagers vie for attention and try to impress each other by trying too hard to think up things designed to shock people.

He does have a lot of talent as a comedian. But he just seems to have abandoned that talent.
    Don't get me wrong, he can still be funny, but it comes across as so very contrived and forced. As though he has to try his very best to shock as much as he can, and the talent takes a back seat.

Definitely.

He was funny on MtW, but just seems to want to shock now. I'm not bothered that he had a go at the Queen, as I laughed at the 'pussy' joke, it's just I don't think it's funny to wish anyone dead. As Agent Krycek said ^, it's like a kid discovering a naughty word and using it at every opportunity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difference is, Hilary Mantel's comments were taken out of context mainly by DM reader types. Her lecture was about the perception of Royalty, not a personal pop at Kate.

No danger of that with Boyle however. He's hasn't Ms Mantel's intellect.

I agree. Hilary Mantel was speaking of Kate as an image, or a product.
    It wasn't really an attack on her personally, it was more about how she's presented as a mannequin doll.

The irony was when we saw the television news media criticizing Hilary Mantel, then going on to comment on what a lovely dress Kate was wearing that day.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't actually. I said ''IF Boyle died'' not 'I hope Boyle dies and.....'.

Death comes to us all, from the Queen to so-called 'comedians', but there's no need to wish someone dead.;)

I never accused you of wishing him dead.

I said you were making a joke about it. It was just an observation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask where you get the idea "he can't stand the heat"? Countless media sources have tried to whip up storms over him to get themselves attention, but he has never played their game. The only real response I can remember is him suing for being labelled a racist, an action he rightly won.

Well I think he has.
    The media whip up a storm, then he reacts by giving them more.
    I think that he knows full well that the controversy gets him attention and probably in turn fills up his concert venues.
    It's almost a symbiotic relationship. Frankie Boyle gets attention and is kept in the public eye, the media get their news with which to fire up the publics emotions.

It probably makes good business sense for him to keep trying to shock people, with the very useful help from the news media who let people know when he's been shocking again.
    But I just think it's to the detriment of his talent. Because I do think he's very good when he's at his best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think he has.
    The media whip up a storm, then he reacts by giving them more.
    I think that he knows full well that the controversy gets him attention and probably in turn fills up his concert venues.
    It's almost a symbiotic relationship. Frankie Boyle gets attention and is kept in the public eye, the media get their news with which to fire up the publics emotions.

It probably makes good business sense for him to keep trying to shock people, with the very useful help from the news media who let people know when he's been shocking again.
    But I just think it's to the detriment of his talent. Because I do think he's very good when he's at his best.

His 'best' isn't wishing people dead, or having pops at people who can't answer back. As I said ^, it's lazy comedy with no thought or wit behind it, just taking pot-shots at minority groups and people in the public eye. He was good in the past - what happened?
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suncity wrote: »
    It's an artform. If you don't like it, odn't watch it would be my advise. I don't like scary films as they disturb me - so I don't watch them. Simples.

To call anything Frankie Boyle or other insult comics do, an artform, is really beyond belief. They cater to the lowest impulses of human nature.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Some of it was on BBC 1 not half an hour ago. (Worse luck).

How wrong can you be? :D
    Are you referring to me or the article?
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I don't think he went too far but it just wasn't very funny.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he 'alternative'? :confused:

That could explain why he isn't funny.:yawn:
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What will Frankie Boyle do next? Make fun of Katie Hopkins's children and claim how 'hideous' they are? How would FM's who make such claims feel if it was their children/grandchildren at the centre of such insults???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are you referring to me or the article?

The article naturally. :)
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything about him is derivative, dire and deadly boring. I confidently predict that in 10 years time he'll be more or less forgotten, and those who remember will feel embarrassed.
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I checked she is just another human - not a protected micro-species. What a load of reactionary nonsense.

I am far more scared of the DM-led censorship than I am anything Frankie can say.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he 'alternative'? :confused:

Alternative to laughing?
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Au contraire - while the Beeb didn't air it - someone's posted it...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYdH_JfU97Q
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I checked she is just another human - not a protected micro-species. What a load of reactionary nonsense.

I am far more scared of the DM-led censorship than I am anything Frankie can say.

That's it though isn't it - she is another human not an Aunt Sally that can be slagged off just because you don't like the family she's a part of.

Yes the DM frighten me more too but it doesn't stop me finding Boyle a tad puerile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Au contraire - while the Beeb didn't air it - someone's posted it...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYdH_JfU97Q

Not much "booing" going on, is there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    That's it though isn't it - she is another human not an Aunt Sally that can be slagged off just because you don't like the family she's a part of.

Yes the DM frighten me more too but it doesn't stop me finding Boyle a tad puerile.

He was commenting far more on the nonsense around her than her.

Also, however puerile you (or I) find that set, people were laughing along with him. The problem is not FB, it's the fact that newspapers lie in order to tell their readers what they should be shocked or outraged by.
  • ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This man is not, and will never be, funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie Boyle is not funny. He is a bully. Being funny is not about hurting people and being personal. He is like those bullies in school that thinks it funny to insult people but it's not funny when it hurts. He is just a bully calling himself a comedian. He is a D**khead.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Boyle is not funny. He is a bully. Being funny is not about hurting people and being personal. He is like those bullies in school that thinks it funny to insult people but it's not funny when it hurts. He is just a bully calling himself a comedian. He is a D**khead.

Agreed, if there's one thing I can't stand it's bullying, insulting, name-calling ********s. Bunch of *****, the lot of them. :D

youtube to mp3
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't notice all the audience booing and moaning on the Youtube clips that are knocking about either, clearly the Mail making stuff up again.

I personally find him funny, some of his stuff misses the mark but generally I find him pretty amusing. Different people like different things. With regards to the Queen joke, the joke itself wasn't him wishing her dead, the joke was about the scenario of what would have happened if she'd died the night before the jubilee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I didn't notice all the audience booing and moaning on the Youtube clips that are knocking about either, clearly the Mail making stuff up again.

I personally find him funny, some of his stuff misses the mark but generally I find him pretty amusing. Different people like different things. With regards to the Queen joke, the joke itself wasn't him wishing her dead, the joke was about the scenario of what would have happened if she'd died the night before the jubilee.

He said:
    ''I wish she’d died- because they wouldn’t have been able to tell anyone. They would have had to hollow out her body into a suit and fill it with helium.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/i-wish-the-queen-had-died-offensive-frankie-boyle-jokes-cut-from-bbc-comic-relief-broadcast-8524030.html

Could it be any plainer? Imo, nobody should wish anyone dead. It's nothing to do with if it's Liz II or not. There's a vid on You Tube of the gig and a woman can be heard heckling him after the joke about Kate's t*ts. To be fair, that vid was filmed on a phone, whose mic is probably rubbish and mightn't have even picked up any booing.