Options

Somerset DAB

gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
Forum Member
✭✭
Well there appears to be a thread for every other muxco area. But what is going on with triple muxco in Somerset? When will it launch (and will it use Coker hill)

Comments

• Options
    skandiaskandia Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    My guesses are:

what is going on with triple muxco in Somerset
    Nothing! no Heart licence to renew:rolleyes:

When will it launch
    As late as they can to renew MUXCOs or Globals licences without competition. as North Devon etc

will it use Coker hill
    No that would added unecessary ££'s to achieve the above...
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Nova radio sold thread in March
    - The only impact on Fire will be a faster roll-out of the digital versions and our visual radio build. It is a core brand for us and no discussions on disposal have taken place.
    - Triple West retains control of Triple Muxco Somerset Ltd and are working with our partners to bring DAB to Somerset in the next 12 months or sooner
    Looks like they still intend to rollout the Somerset DAB local mux in 2014 with BBC Radio Somerset perhaps Fire and some other stations?
    DAB should have better coverage than FM, so means the expensive to run1566MW service can be shut.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Hello

I have just noticed the alert for this, so let me help clarify the situation:

- Somerset DAB was impacted with the TX planning changes, hence the delay
    - We expect the service to be broadcasting before the start of Q2/2014
    - The lack of updates from Muxco for this multiplex is more down to the different ownership model compared to other MuxCo ventures than it being left out of any plans.

With overall Digital Radio listening growing, BBC Somerset TSA shows 52.2% of all radio listening is via Digital platforms [Q2/2013 RAJAR] we are very happy to invest to bring DAB to the county.

Some areas - such as the TSA's of BBC Sussex and Surrey & BBC Kent - appear already over the 60% All Radio listeners reach point; digital migration is already here.

Can also confirm the Fire branded services will appear with localised content to encourage use of the platform.

Gareth
    The Triple Broadcast Co
  • Options
    WestwardTelecomWestwardTelecom Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Hello

- The lack of updates from Muxco for this multiplex is more down to the different ownership model compared to other MuxCo ventures than it being left out of any plans.

With overall Digital Radio listening growing, BBC Somerset TSA shows 52.2% of all radio listening is via Digital platforms [Q2/2013 RAJAR] we are very happy to invest to bring DAB to the county.

Some areas - such as the TSA's of BBC Sussex and Surrey & BBC Kent - appear already over the 60% All Radio listeners reach point; digital migration is already here.

Can also confirm the Fire branded services will appear with localised content to encourage use of the platform.

Gareth
    The Triple Broadcast Co

Thank you Gareth, nice update. You say launch before Q2/2014? Q2 starts on 1st April, I'll be waiting with my DAB radio in anticipation of DAB finally reaching Somerset!
  • Options
    WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would point out that Somerset has had DAB since at least 2001, with both national multiplexes widely available and even transmitted from within its boundaries.

This also applied to the former MXR Wales & West multiplex until last summer, and that was almost immediately replaced by NOW Cardiff & Newport which adopted a number of the MXR transmitters after closure, including Mendip.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect provision for an extra local transmitter has been added to Mendip, also Hutton which recently had a new national DAB installation
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/radio/dab/expansion.html

Tauton and Coker Hill are also listed on the coverage map

The last blog with a mention of the mux was November
    http://www.muxco.com/blog/2013/11/12/november-planning-meeting/
    Looking to future multiplexes we spent some time exploring the various options for North Wales and the cost-implications of decisions in Somerset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willum wrote: »
    I would point out that Somerset has had DAB since at least 2001, with both national multiplexes widely available and even transmitted from within its boundaries.

This also applied to the former MXR Wales & West multiplex until last summer, and that was almost immediately replaced by NOW Cardiff & Newport which adopted a number of the MXR transmitters after closure, including Mendip.

:)[/QUOTE

Not in the south of the county. There was no robust DAB in Yeovil until the switch on of coker hill about a year ago. D1 is pretty much unlistenable from Stockland hill and non existant from mendip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For me it's a very exciting time. According to Gareth from Triple the Somerset Local DAB service is only days to launch! I have my radio ready to retune at any moment!

Does anyone know what stations will appear on the new multiplex?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing about a launch on the Muxco site (yet)
    The station list was
    http://www.muxco.com/applications/somerset/
    Orchard FM
    Star 107.7
    Ivel FM
    Quaywest
    Easy Radio
    UCB UK
    Traffic Radio
    BBC Radio Somerset
    Orchard is now Heart, which may go on local DAB along with Capital, XFM and Smooth?
    Star 107.7, Ivel FM and Quaywest is now Breeze which may not go on DAB?
    Easy Radio, UCB UK and Traffic Radio is very unlikely to go on local DAB
    Which leaves BBC Radio Somerset
    and Fire?
    Perhaps Jack Bristol?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello

Gareth
    The Triple Broadcast Co

Although We're just a matter of days into Q2 2014.... Any news Gareth?
  • Options
    tompaynetompayne Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    What is the latest news on DAB for Somerset? It looks like a late Summer 2014 launch so any idea of stations?

Heart
    The Breeze
    BBC Somerset

?
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Triple Broadcast might launch something on there too.
  • Options
    andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully something different from the usual music we here on FM in the area, maybe a station playing easy listening/ mellow tracks would be a nice addition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    Triple Broadcast might launch something on there too.
    Fire September?
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/07/fire-sale-confirmed-as-triple-goes-digital/
    Triple is launching a DAB multiplex for Somerset in a joint venture with Muxco, which is expected to commence broadcasting in September.
    --
    Triple tells us they have committed around £250,000 in funding across the group to roll out the digital radio brands and build on its TV business content. The company will ramp up original programme production and multiplatform content for online and mobile apps, whilst retaining the use of the Fire brand name.
    Celador now seem to have the policy Breeze will be local FM only so unlikely to be on DAB?
    Hopefully something different from the usual music we here on FM in the area, maybe a station playing easy listening/ mellow tracks would be a nice addition.
    The application had Easy, but Sunrise closed it.
    Sussex has Smile and Hampshire has Angel, so perhaps something similar?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tompayne wrote: »
    What is the latest news on DAB for Somerset? It looks like a late Summer 2014 launch so any idea of stations?

Heart
    The Breeze
    BBC Somerset

?

Capital, Smooth Bristol and Bath and possibly Jack FM. Who knows whats going on with Fire!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully something not available already on FM
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Perhaps Jack Bristol?

I noticed that the new intro has changed on Jack Bristol

it used to say 'on 106.5 and on digital in Bristol'

it don't say that any more, so maybe Jack FM Bristol is going to be on other outlets

Would love it to be on NOW Cardiff & Newport - as it uses Mendip it would make its DAB coverage area more robust!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expansion of Jack at jackfm.co.uk is "coming soon" but no timescale of what soon means?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    september 14th launch according the press release from triple when fire fm was sold.

i would think that the 'George Radio' jack style service that triple have been touting will appear at some point (they have registered trade marks for it) and will be based on the wonderhits/kisstory audience rather than dad rock. and a reversion of fire will be on the dab mux i am told.
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea what the ERP of the Mendip transmitter will be and what DAB frequency allocation will it use
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing on Google so I have emailed Ofcom for more details. I think I should easily pick it up as I can receive the SE Wales multiplex from Mendip.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea what the ERP of the Mendip transmitter will be and what DAB frequency allocation will it use

Launch transmitters and powers now confirmed:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/somerset/summary/dab-condoc.pdf
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »

Oh dear.....no Coker Hill transmitter, so Yeovil will again miss out on decent coverage. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news that my local transmitter in Hutton is one of the transmitters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original application was for Mendip and Taunton at launch!, followed later by Hutton and Coker Hill http://www.muxco.com/docs/muxco-somerset.pdf
    But no date for Coker Hill, but under the mou should be before 2016?t
    The original station list was; Star Radio • Ivel FM • QuayWest • Orchard FM • BBC Somerset • Easy• UCB and Traffic Radio, of which only BBC Somerset might launch? Perhaps also Heart (Orchard) and Fire?
    Unlikely Breeze will go on DAB?