Ah so that's why 3d!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
Forum Member
I can see the 3d paintings are going to potentially look stunning in 3d! I'm a mahoosive fan of 3d when done well (life of pi, avatar, Gravity)and rendering the special in the format was a stroke of (expensive) genius... 3d works best when drawing you in and suggesting depth. I'm away workin the night of the broadcast and was going to catch it on iplayer when I got back to my accomodation but I may now wait till I get home to my 3d tv as I think it's going to be the best way to watch it.. Don't even get me started on seeing it in the cinema! Gutted.

Comments

• QuannoiQuannoi Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except anyone on Sky won't be getting 3D it seems.
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quannoi wrote: »
    Except anyone on Sky won't be getting 3D it seems.

switch to freeview for 75 minutes, its not that big a hassle

though apparently the bbc are trying to sort it out with sky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping they get it sorted with sky, I gotta 3d tv but can't get freeview. Would love to see it in 3d do sky charge the bbc?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snopaelic wrote: »
    I'm hoping they get it sorted with sky, I gotta 3d tv but can't get freeview. Would love to see it in 3d do sky charge the bbc?

I believe that Sky want to charge for listing the BBC Red Button HD service on the epg.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    The easiest answer would have been for Sky to simulcast it free to air on their 3D channel.
    Unfortunately they're showing the whole series of Micro Monsters back to back over that period on Saturday, so it won't happen now, but imagine the PR kudos Sky would have had if they'd done that just this once!
    :)
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    The problem with watching the 3D on the Red Button is that, as far as I know, you can't record it or pause it. I guess I've been spoiled but I'm not sure I want to watch it under those conditions.

I reckon I'll just watch it in 2D and then see the 3D when I get my 3D Blu-Ray, later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snopaelic wrote: »

why cant you get freeview?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    The easiest answer would have been for Sky to simulcast it free to air on their 3D channel.
    Unfortunately they're showing the whole series of Micro Monsters back to back over that period on Saturday, so it won't happen now, but imagine the PR kudos Sky would have had if they'd done that just this once!

the easiest answer would be for sky to just allow red button HD on to the epg temporarily for free, I cant see it being more than about 5 minutes worth of effort for them
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching in 2D because its all I have. I'm not a fan of 3D movies anyway so I'm not that bothered.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    The problem with watching the 3D on the Red Button is that, as far as I know, you can't record it or pause it. I guess I've been spoiled but I'm not sure I want to watch it under those conditions.

Some boxes you can tune to 301 which is the red button feed.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the easiest answer would be for sky to just allow red button HD on to the epg temporarily for free, I cant see it being more than about 5 minutes worth of effort for them

..or simply allow the 3D episode to be automatically downloaded to everyones Sky HD box....and activated at the same time as the show broadcasts. You wouldn't even need the red button then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    ..or simply allow the 3D episode to be automatically downloaded to everyones Sky HD box....and activated at the same time as the show broadcasts. You wouldn't even need the red button then.

that'd work too though may be would require a lot more planning and coordination

BTW are there any bit rate geeks here, if so can anyone tell me does the freesat red button hd stream run at a significantly better bit rate (and thus picture quality) than the freeview version? my tv has both freeview and freesat tuners built in though it will be a lot more faffing around to set the freesat up
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »

I suppose they could add the 3D version to the Push On Demand content.

I'd be happy if it was just available later on the normal On Demand content.
    Forum Member
    You probably wouldn't be able to record it if they did that, which would be a great shame.
    If it was on the normal Sky 3D channel you would.
    Hypothetical anyway sadly.
    :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You probably wouldn't be able to record it if they did that, which would be a great shame.
    If it was on the normal Sky 3D channel you would.
    Hypothetical anyway sadly.
    :(

if they gave red button hd a channel number and schedule info you could
    Forum Member
    if they gave red button hd a channel number and schedule info you could
    True, but you can't record the present red button feed of The Night of the Doctor so there's no reason to think that any 3D feed of The Day of the Doctor would be any different.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, but you can't record the present red button feed of The Night of the Doctor so there's no reason to think that any 3D feed of The Day of the Doctor would be any different.

what about manual record freesat will do that and so will Sky if they let the red button channel on the epg freeview is a different matter though
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've got 4 pairs of 3d glasses but I hate 3D! I'm with film critic Mark Kermode on this one. Those glasses give me a headache and I feel as thought the 3d rarely works for me unless I can wear those Freddie's Dead glasses before my family do.

Wings Of Desire is one of the most visually stunning films of all time directed by one the greatest living auteur's, Wim Wenders. It is not shot in 3D, in fact it is mostly in black & white!