The Auction House - Channel 4

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
The guy who owns this place is a major dick. Some very eccentric customers. Those 2 men who live together in the house completely covered in paintings and tat. Talk about the odd couple. :D:D

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A 3 foot vagina set in bronze. :o Now that's a big box.
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Money doesn't = taste :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    extraextra wrote: »
    Money doesn't = taste :(

As long as something looks expensive that's all they care about. Even if it looks hideous which most of this stuff does.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all rather grim, & the owner is a very obnoxious man !

As my elder daughter's partner would say about some of the rich & idle female customers " Come the Revolution they'd be first in front of the firing squad " :o
  • hetty_rosehetty_rose Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Who is the narrator? we are swinging between Carson from Downton Abbey, and Fred Thursday from Endeavour?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hetty_rose wrote: »
    Who is the narrator? we are swinging between Carson from Downton Abbey, and Fred Thursday from Endeavour?

It sounds like Roger Allam.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at these poor people with their ego's and materialism. Full of their own importance fueled by status, money, ego and lifestyle.

They believe these objects and wealth makes them 'Better' people.

The owner 'I lay down then the law' -,what is going on in his head to give him such an inflated sense of self. Poor man.

If any of these people were going unfortunate to be stricken with a terminal illnesa, then nothing, nothing of these 'things' they ssurround themselve would mean absolutely NOTHING overnight.

Peace.
    I
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to know 2 things..

1. How much did the massive gorilla sell for, and

2. What's that strange eye thing at the ad break?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    I want to know 2 things..

1. How much did the massive gorilla sell for, and

2. What's that strange eye thing at the ad break?

The big eye is a trailer for another show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This American is obsessed about everything looking expensive and name dropping designer names.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulgar people.

I.doubt they've ever had to empty their penny jar to buy some food to eat for the day.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big eye is a trailer for another show.

Thanks, thought that must be the case - which one though

I thought big brother at first, but that's channel 5 now
  • IHateSpeedBumpsIHateSpeedBumps Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Very dull...much like the auction house itself. Full of depressing, ugly stuff.

All the 'characters' looked angry and tight-lipped.

A portrait of misery.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm on +1 and quite like the American woman, well what she's got to say about art and furniture so far, it's her oppo I'm not getting, then again I'd usually dislike both of them on principle.

Getting highly annoyed with 'the millionaire owner', OK he's a millionaire, I didn't need to hear it the first time let alone the 3rd or 4th.
    OK he owns the business and he's a PITA to work with, then again he can't be too far up his own arris, his staff haven't fudged it, even those who didn't say it gave heavy clues about his personality.
    If they've done that on camera, I'd say he's a PITA, knows he's PITA and wont sack people for not liking him or saying nice things about him.
    Forum Member
    The cities in China making mattresses and a bad womb could give birth a good baby, made me giggle.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Fun, quirky little documentary - I enjoyed.....but the owner.:o
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the two older guys' home, a proper treasure trove of 19th century curios. I like when people commit to their taste in such a complete way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was..... I love his voice. :)

I thought it was all a bit dull. Lily, songwriter and psychotherapist........... yes well, said it all really. Usual assortment of loons and oddballs, at least one of the gay couple can now afford his new teeth. :D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting documentary. No 'characters' among the Auction house staff so the owner will make up for that. The two Yankee blondes were fun. Sugar daddy 'babes'. :D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was :)
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Fun, quirky little documentary - I enjoyed.....but the owner.:o

Who looked like Adrian Edmundson:p

If they can't shift the furniture they should tell the owners to lower the reserve or take it away
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I set this on sky+ a week ago and, after a few minutes of it, was extremely disappointed, and switched it off. I did finish watching it later on last night, but I won't be recording it again. I wasn't too impressed that the focus seemed to be on the owner and his, what does appear to be essentially, a small scale auction house which, although in Chelsea, has a target market of buyers who are not interested, fundamentally, in sourcing genuine antique items, at huge prices. I know he is a millionnaire, but I think he has this business as an interest, rather than a money making venture. Whilst I don't agree with his 'I know best' tenet, it is his money and his profit/loss margins, so it is his choice how to arrange things. Although, I must say, brown furniture has long been on the slide and is not as sought after by the majority, as it was about 12 years ago. Personally, Ilike it, so the dip in this particular market, is advantageous for me. Did he honestly believe that mixing the brown furniture with modern pieces - a pair of lips sofa? ghastly! - would impel people to buy? imo, that is merely mixing quality with hideous tat.
    Before watching, I thought it was going to be a bit like Del Boys and Dealers, concentrating on the buyers. I don't know about others, but antiques is a passion of mine, which this programme did nothing to incite.
  • diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just catching up with this, how does anyone work for that egotistical t**t

shame there is no more personalities as not sure I can watch him again.
    Forum Member
    I must be suffering from RTV overload again, could do without the constant hunt for characters.
    I'd have rather seen more of the objects that came through the doors and customers in general without looking for the characters.

The boss wasn't 'that' bad, he's self aware so not a complete knob, I couldn't suffer though the way he talks to some of the staff, I'd rare-up and stomp out the door, very quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oooookay yah. Lah di dah lah di dah la dah.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crappy Curtains £600 quid.... any takers?????