Songs where the entire lead vocal is not credited

scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm talking about songs where there are vocals throughout the song, but the vocalist(s) is/are not officially credited. Kind of seems unfair on them when they're the ones carrying the entire song.

Avicii is very guilty of this - pretty much all of his songs are credited purely to him and nobody else. For example, Wake Me Up (where Aloe Blacc is not credited) and Lay Me Down (Adam Lambert).

Another one I can think of: Wilkinson - Afterglow (Becky Hill is not credited)

Any more?

Comments

• EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do any of Milli Vanilli's songs count?
  • ChrisJamesSatsChrisJamesSats Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love. Justin Timberlake wasn't credited I don't think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the song Play by J.LO -

Christina Milian sings all the chorus but isn't mentioned in the title
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ride on Time by Black Box. Loleatta Holloway's vocals were sampled from her Love Sensation single and mimed to by Katrin Quinol in the video and 'live' performances.
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duke Dumont feat. Jax Jones - I Got U

The singer's name is Kelli-Leigh, she's actually been a back up singer for quite a few years, but has her own album out later this year I believe. She's sang it live with him though quite a lot! She's incredible live!

Here's her covering The Foo Fighters - Best of You https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibTOLxRG4dU
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    Duke Dumont feat. Jax Jones - I Got U

The singer's name is Kelli-Leigh, she's actually been a back up singer for quite a few years, but has her own album out later this year I believe. She's sang it live with him though quite a lot! She's incredible live!

Here's her covering The Foo Fighters - Best of You https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibTOLxRG4dU

I just assumed it was a straight-up remix of the original song.:blush: Silly old me!
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moby never credited his vocalists on tracks such as ''Natural Blues', Honey', 'Run On' or 'Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?'

Adamski (remember him?) didn't credit Seal on 'Killer' but the latter became a massive worldwide star. Seal of course released his own version later on.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatboy Slim's 'Praise You. has a lot of Camille Yarbrough on the vocals.

The Chemical Bros - 'Hey Boy, Hey Girl'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Give it to me by Madonna. Pharrell Williams not only produced it but sings on it too but not credited as a featured artist. Guaranteed if she released that song this year after his mammoth hits "get lucky" "blurred Lines" and "happy" it would def been released as Madonna feat. Pharrell Williams!
  • hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Wilkinson - Afterglow. Becky Hill wasn't credited on the track
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think Ke$ha is credited for singing the chorus in Flo Rida's Right Round, in fact I dont think she got paid either!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    My all wrote: »
    Give it to me by Madonna. Pharrell Williams not only produced it but sings on it too but not credited as a featured artist. Guaranteed if she released that song this year after his mammoth hits "get lucky" "blurred Lines" and "happy" it would def been released as Madonna feat. Pharrell Williams!

:D I hated this song at the time, but it would probably be huge if released now. Quite a few of his latest productions sound very reminiscent of his stuff on Hard Candy. Can't believe it was released over 6 years ago!
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink Floyd - Have a Cigar was sung by Roy Harper
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mystery Britney-soundalike in Will.i.am's Bang
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mystery Britney-soundalike in Will.i.am's Bang

Wiki has her down as Shelby Spalione, the girl in the video. I prefer the version with Leah McFall in honesty.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In A Broken Dream - Python Lee Jackson. It was obviously Rod Stewart singing, but I think he wasn't credited due to a fall-out with his record company.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Adamski (remember him?) didn't credit Seal on 'Killer' but the latter became a massive worldwide star. Seal of course released his own version later on.
    Adamski insisted that the "Killer" vocal not be credited, and threatened to get another singer in if Seal didn't back down... Seal's management realised that "Killer" would be a massive hit and provide the unknown singer with a perfect "calling card", so talked him into doing it, even though Seal felt really aggrieved over it (especially as he had written the lyrics, including the "It's the loneliness that's the killer" line which Adamski dropped...) Still a great single, though...
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    The woman on the meatloaf song i'd do anything for love, Not the one in the video but the woman who actually sang the vocals, And she made no money from it either

Interestingly the woman in the video was assumed to have sang it and got a record deal out of it
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stevie wonders harmonica is uncredited on Chaka Khan i feel for you along with Melle mel's rap. (stevies harmonica also uncredited on eurythmics - there must be an angel)
    Sean Ryder on Dare by Gorillaz
    Ashanti singing on Jennifer Lopez - Aint it funny (murder remix)
    Michael and Jermaine Jackson on Rockwell - Somebodys watching me
    Bob Dylan on Kurtis Blow - Street Rock (dylan is a b-boy!)
    Donna Summer - State of independence has a whole chorus of famous people.
    Missy Elliot on Raven Simone - Thats what little girls are made of
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carly Simon on Will Powers' "Kissing With Confidence"
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »

Interestingly the woman in the video was assumed to have sang it and got a record deal out of it

So could she actually sing though?
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    So could she actually sing though?

Not sure, She had non or very little success though
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justin asked not to be credited on where is the love. Because of the success he had with justified, he didn't want the song's success to be all down to his name being attached to it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The female in Eminem's We made you
    The female in Flo Rida's club can't handle me. Imo, she sounds like alexandra burke.

None of them were credited.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An extremely common phenomenon. I suppose it seems worse when the track is credited to an individual rather than a group and the credited individual is obvious not the singer. For instance, they are the wrong gender.

mialicious wrote: »
    Stevie wonders harmonica is uncredited on Chaka Khan i feel for you along with Melle mel's rap. (stevies harmonica also uncredited on eurythmics - there must be an angel).
    I suppose those are really just guest appearances. Stevie Wonder's harmonica is uncredited on Bobbi Humprey's 'No Way' also. Great track.

It seem quire commonplace to do the opposite now - have the artist/s reading like a list of ingredients.

Most of us relate to the performer of the main vocal on a vocal track I guess, so when the leader of a session or project is a producer, beat-maker or instrumentalist and gets the credit it tends to grab your attention. Also acts presented as groups but have featured vocalists who vary: Soul II Soul, Massive attack etc.

Then there are the records credited to the incorrect artist / to no one / to an artist working under a pseudonym. Or all those reggae records with the artists' names spelled wrong.