Options

1,400 children abused in Rotherham by primarily Pakistani men

Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just watched the press conference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28939089
At least 1,400 children were subjected to "appalling" sexual exploitation in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013, a report has found. Children as young as 11 were raped by multiple perpetrators, abducted, trafficked to other cities in England, beaten and intimidated it said.

The report, commissioned by Rotherham Borough Council in 2013, revealed there had been three previous inquiries. Five men from the town were jailed for sexual offences against girls in 2010.

Professor Alexis Jay, who wrote the latest report, said there had been "blatant" collective failures by the council's leadership, senior managers had "underplayed" the scale of the problem and South Yorkshire Police had failed to prioritise the issue. Prof Jay said police "regarded many child victims with contempt".

She also found the majority of perpetrators were of Pakistani heritage.

The police and all relevant services turned a blind eye beceause they were terrified of accusations of "racism". And so it goes on.

Comments

• Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Until those in charge of councils and police forces become accountable for their actions/inactions nothing will change.
    I would like to see some of them sent to prison.
    The more likely response will be "lessons learned blah blah blah" and everyone carry on as before.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    The police and all relevant services turned a blind eye beceause they were terrified of accusations of "racism". And so it goes on.

Where did/does it say that?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, very depressing and the fact the authorities in terms of the council and the police knew about it and didn't do anything beggars belief. One wonders about the police when loads of them turned up at a pop stars' house the other week to investigate an accusation from the 1980s and leaked it to the media.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

In the report.

Prof Jay said police "regarded many child victims with contempt" and that by far the majority of perpetrators were described as 'Asian' by victims".
    Continue reading the main story
    Analysis
    image of James Vincent James Vincent BBC Look North

The scale of this report is simply staggering and some of the detail extremely hard to read.

It lays out how Rotherham Council and the police knew about the level of child sexual exploitation in the town, but didn't do anything about it.

They either didn't believe what they were being told, played it down, or were too nervous to act. The failures, the report says, are blatant.

The report estimates that 1,400 children were sexually exploited over 16 years, with one young person telling the report's author that gang rape was a usual part of growing up in Rotherham.

The processes for dealing with these crimes have got better in the last four years, but still improvements need to be made.

There were more apologies from the council today but the report's author says they are too late

Despite this, the report concluded: "Several staff described their nervousness about identifying the ethnic origins of perpetrators for fear of being thought as racist; others remembered clear direction from their manager

Prof Jay said: "The authorities involved have a great deal to answer for."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ten lines into the report, which you apparently didn't bother to read:
    Several staff described their nervousness about identifying the ethnic origins of perpetrators for fear of being thought as racist; others remembered clear direction from their managers not to do so.

They were specifically told, by their bosses, to keep quiet about the fact that these were Pakistani men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    In the report.

Despite this, the report concluded: "Several staff described their nervousness about identifying the ethnic origins of perpetrators for fear of being thought as racist; others remembered clear direction from their manager

Prof Jay said: "The authorities involved have a great deal to answer for."

so not the police then and it seems it was managers who told staff to underplay it. Sounds like the police should be prosecuting more than just the men involved, but also the council managers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Ten lines into the report, which you apparently didn't bother to read:

They were specifically told, by their bosses, to keep quiet about the fact that these were Pakistani men.

As per my answer to anne, it was not the police who thought they would be branded racist then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    so not the police then and it seems it was managers who told staff to underplay it. Sounds like the police should be prosecuting more than just the men involved, but also the council managers.

I have quoted only a tiny part of the report. Why don't you read it all before you make baseless assumptions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As per my answer to anne, it was not the police who thought they would be branded racist then.

Stop making baseless judgements. Get the facts first.
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember an article on this in a sunday paper years ago. I was appalled then as I am now. There is no excuse. I hope they will hold the relevant people accountable and not just claim that lessons have be learnt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps the police will explain why they ignored the evidence presented to them, I mean it is not as if they are worried about being branded as racists is it.
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It lays out how Rotherham Council and the police knew about the level of child sexual exploitation in the town, but didn't do anything about it.

They either didn't believe what they were being told, played it down, or were too nervous to act. The failures, the report says, are blatant.

Did you miss that bit?
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe one day there will be no more multiculturalism, segregated ethnic minority communities will disappear and everyone will integrate and spread out and the establishment will be have no more need of this foolish political correctness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every professional involved - police, council, whoever - should be fired, and then prosecuted for complicity in rape. Of course, they won't be. They've all "learned a lesson" and it'll "never happen again".

It goes without saying what should happen to the Pakistani rapists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Stop making baseless judgements. Get the facts first.

I am not making any baseless judgements. The report does not say the police didn't act due to them being branded racist. Perhaps you should re-read it more carefully before making baseless judgements.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1,400 is a staggering number considering this a small town which many people would struggle to find on a map.

Hopefully there will be lots of prosecution for negligence and misconduct in public office for those involved in the council and the police.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you miss that bit?

I've read it perfectly well but where does it say the police didn't act due to fear of being branded racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    1,400 is a staggering number considering this a small town which many people would struggle to find on a map.

Hopefully there will be lots of prosecution for negligence and misconduct in public office for those involved in the council and the police.

It's an horrific number, especially as some of these children had petrol poured on them, amongst other things.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why, do you want to join the apologist party?
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an horrific number, especially as some of these children had petrol poured on them, amongst other things.

Welcome to 'multicultural' Britain.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read it perfectly well but where does it say the police didn't act due to fear of being branded racist.

Can you think of another reason?
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the implication is the numbers are so high because they perpetrators where not being held responsible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    Can you think of another reason?

To be fair there are others, such as money, any are equally dispicable.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More evidence of good judgement from the South Yorkshire Police.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Could the victims sue the council and police force for negligence ?
    1400 victims will mean a massive pay out
    Having to pay out vast sums should hopefully stop other authorities from making the same mistakes.