Options

Christmas special? new titles? new music ?

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
any ideas please?

Comments

• Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doubt it. Another year at least.

Anyway, the latest theme and titles have grown on me. Silly to chop and change all the time, especially with all the merchandising issues it causes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doubt it. Another year at least.

Anyway, the latest theme and titles have grown on me. Silly to chop and change all the time, especially with all the merchandising issues it causes

not sure, there was a huge backlash at the time that people weren't totally happy with the new theme, but they did like the new title sequence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they, nothing wrong with the curren ones IMO. Only change I'd expect is Arthur getting a credit.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    not sure, there was a huge backlash at the time

that is rather overstating the case, and though the theme tune divided people on here at the time, many of those not keen initially came round to it to varying degrees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would they, nothing wrong with the curren ones IMO. Only change I'd expect is Arthur getting a credit.

they have changed them every year since new who started
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any ideas please?

Overdub some sleighbells. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they have changed them every year since new who started

If they have it's very small changes. Watching ep 1 titles from all four rtd years right now and change from 1 to 2 owing to bigger budget and orchestra availability, 2,3 & 4 sound pretty much the same to me. The end credits changed, I think because of the shorter credits sequence, but thought ten had the same (or near as makes no difference) opening credits music for his run.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hope not. I love the Moffat era theme. It's fantastic. I know Murray Gold develops on his themes each series, and I expect that for this too, but I hope they don't radically change it.
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love the new theme tune so they don't need to chnage it, the only thing i think that needs changing is the opening sequence with the time vortex, its looks cheap and tacky and something that they made in 5 mins , i don't no why they dont use the one they use as the background on the website
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only change is
    "Christmassy credits" with Arthur
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    not sure, there was a huge backlash at the time that people weren't totally happy with the new theme, but they did like the new title sequence.

Funnily enough, I like the current version of the theme, but am not a fan of the current visuals in the titles. It was a little bit too much of a leap for me to accept the change from a "swirling energy" look, which we've had for so long now, to the look of clouds and lightning. The fire at the end I can accept though. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    The only change is
    "Christmassy credits" with Arthur
    yes, though i have heard different things in relation to the christmasy credits though, some people seem to think they were no different, so I imagine whatever it is that makes them christmasy is pretty minimal if many didn't notice it. Cool news about Arthur though. :)
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall that the Christmas episode Voyage of The Damned was the first radical change to the theme (heavier drum beats, piano and guitar more prominent etc).
    I liked that one :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    A bit of the titles was snow at the beginning of this video.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11993957

Even thought the quality is poor you can see theres not much difference. The only change will be the addition of Arthur's name in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who-Fan9 wrote: »

Even thought the quality is poor you can see theres not much difference. The only change will be the addition of Arthur's name in it.

agreed, looks much the same to me from that brief glimpse.
  • Options
    nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    agreed, looks much the same to me from that brief glimpse.

At the preview screening, during the Q&A, someone suggested that
    the actors' credits had had added (try saying THAT after a couple of Christmas sherries!) to them a little 'Christmas frost'.
    There seemed a little uncertainty amongst the speakers about whether this was the case. I certainly couldn't tell.

nyingy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    not sure, there was a huge backlash at the time

People having a bit of a moan on a forum doesn't equal a huge backlash.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who-Fan9 wrote: »

Maybe they could be added to for the final transmission - as has happened before. Although the
    lightning sound effects seem to have changed for Karen's credit when compared to the original?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we do get a rework of the theme soon, featuring a return of the middle eight! It wouldn't really even need a rework - they made a Moffat version with the middle eight and have it on the soundtrack, they just don't broadcast it :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we do get a rework of the theme soon, featuring a return of the middle eight! It wouldn't really even need a rework - they made a Moffat version with the middle eight and have it on the soundtrack, they just don't broadcast it :cry:

I don't see why they should use the middle 8 just because just has been used typically. Surely the whole point was that they wanted it to be a little different.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,056
    Forum Member

It would be nice to hear it on the end credits, but I do seem to recall Murray Gold saying he wasn't that big a fan of it..could be wrong.

:)
  • Options
    Cameron KMcEwanCameron KMcEwan Posts: 1,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a soundtrack release for "A Christmas Carol":

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-carol-soundtrack-details.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I don't see why they should use the middle 8 just because just has been used typically. Surely the whole point was that they wanted it to be a little different.

I'd like to hear it return just cos I like it. It's the heroic bit. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for that! Love the hats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it's very interesting, i imagine they are looking to capitalise on the success of the last two soundtracks.