Oooooh - is something kicking off?

2»

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    Then it would be something red and Hawk shaped, not grey and Typhoon shaped. :)

The Typhoon's no slouch when it comes to aerobatics :)
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/typhoondisplay/features/news.cfm?storyid=6E7903D0-5056-A318-A8A5E3F5BAC3607D
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m4rk1 wrote: »
    In the event of an extraterrestrial sighting, the confirmation has to come from either the British Prime Minister or the US President, who will confirm that their respective air forces have spotted and recorded this current and intelligent life in the sky.

... and he only got odds of 1000-1 ?

Even to one as sceptical as myself on the subject, it's clear that if an extraterrestrial sighting is ever confirmed, the British Prime Minister or the US President will confirm this only once Satan has sat down at the end of his speech declaring the opening of the Winter Olympics.
  • m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    ... and he only got odds of 1000-1 ?

Even to one as sceptical as myself on the subject, it's clear that if an extraterrestrial sighting is ever confirmed, the British Prime Minister or the US President will confirm this only once Satan has sat down at the end of his speech declaring the opening of the Winter Olympics.

They have declassified the UFO files within the last few weeks too so what are they frightened of. They should pay the bloke out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have declassified the UFO files within the last few weeks too so what are they frightened of. They should pay the bloke out.

The trouble with the bet is that, if what's written on the slip is the sole definition, it's one that's impossible to win. If the object were to be confirmed as a space vehicle of extraterrestrial origin, wouldn't it then become an identified flying object and so ineligible to win?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, recent crop circles have indicated that full extraterrestrial contact will take place at the Olympic site tomorrow, and that's the reason they've got so many soldiers, missile launchers, battleships etc etc.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Or blue and Hornet shaped with Fat Albert being the 'real' star.

Always is! :D I miss them.
  • m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    The trouble with the bet is that, if what's written on the slip is the sole definition, it's one that's impossible to win. If the object were to be confirmed as a space vehicle of extraterrestrial origin, wouldn't it then become an identified flying object and so ineligible to win?

In a word. Yes

I wonder how much was actually wagered on this and what the liability is.

I've no doubt your right though and the bookies find a way not to pay out. the one you quoted is a good get out clause and it wouldn't surprise me if they knew this when they convinced the punter to word it that way;)
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    The aircraft quickly re-established contact with air traffic control and the incident was brought to an end."

To be fair, I'd quickly re-establish contact if I looked out of the window and saw a fully armed Typhoon trailing me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a word. Yes

I wonder how much was actually wagered on this and what the liability is.

I've no doubt your right though and the bookies find a way not to pay out. the one you quoted is a good get out clause and it wouldn't surprise me if they knew this when they convinced the punter to word it that way;)

£1, apparently.

And I spoke too soon. The bet was actually for a flying saucer to appear over the stadium.

Which still leaces plenty of get-out clauses - any of the other popular "UFO" forms (flying cigars, triangles, fiery wheels) could be disqualified, as could an object a mile or two to the north of the stadium rather than overhead.

But was it really worth the hassle (to William Hill) for the sake of a quid?
    Or blue and Hornet shaped with Fat Albert being the 'real' star.

I haven't seen them since the days when Robin Hood Airport was RAF Finningley, and they still had the A4s.
    To be fair, I'd quickly re-establish contact if I looked out of the window and saw a fully armed Typhoon trailing me.

It's certainly the kind of thing that would wake you up!