VuTV: New premium pay TV service on Freeview HD channel 238

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Sky have no stake in MTV and the Turner channels.

of cause not... oh what about this
    http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2009/mtv
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    2corney wrote: »
    Not very polite.

Here's the results of my research to give an up-to-date, relevant answer: In 2011, MTV Networks International was absorbed into Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN). Sky has now got a 0% stake in MTV and VIVA branded channels. I'll credit you half a point for Nickelodeon and Comedy Central. The brands are 100% owned by Viacom and VIMN is the majority shareholder in the UK channels. But BSkyB is a minority shareholder. With 25% stake in these channels only, it clearly has insufficient control to stop involvement with other platform operators. It is a minority shareholder in its own right - not a shareholder in the Viacom subsidiary as it once was with MTV Networks Int'l.

I can't find any evidence that Sky is involved with Turner above and beyond such matters as carriage agreements, which does not constitute owning part of the company.

A&E Networks is owned by Disney and Hearst Corporation - owners of Digital Spy.
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    It will only work on the latest Freeview HD devices (most 2012 models onwards), but there's no need for a viewing card - so CI+ compatibility is not an issue.

Tip: can you already watch CCTV on channel 226? If the answer is yes, then your receiver is most likely going to be compatible with VuTV when it launches during the 4th Quarter of 2013.

It is unlikely to be made available on YouView receivers, despite these being Freeview HD devices: understandably BT and TalkTalk will want you to go to them for such extra channels.

My Samsung TV played all content on the IPTV channels, including 4music additional channels, but according to the splash screen for 232 The SPACE, my TV wasnt compatible.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    es6300 wrote: »
    My Samsung TV played all content on the IPTV channels, including 4music additional channels, but according to the splash screen for 232 The SPACE, my TV wasnt compatible.
    Exactly the same on my Panasonic.
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Guess will have to wait and see.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A&E Networks is owned by Disney and Hearst Corporation - owners of Digital Spy.
    I don't think that Sky's ownership necessarily has any effect on carriage agreements; if the joint ventures favoured Sky the other shareholders would lose out! These joint ventures build on Sky's UK expertise and scale.

BSkyB owns the following stakes in these joint ventures:
    50% A&E Networks UK.
    25% Paramount Partnership UK
    40% Nickleodeon UK
    50% MGM UK
    46% At the Races
    21% National Geographical Networks International

Source: http://corporate.sky.com/documents/pdf/publications/2012/sky_annual_report_2012
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I don't think that Sky's ownership necessarily has any effect on carriage agreements; if the joint ventures favoured Sky the other shareholders would lose out! These joint ventures build on Sky's UK expertise and scale.

BSkyB owns the following stakes in these joint ventures:
    50% A&E Networks UK.
    25% Paramount Partnership UK
    40% Nickleodeon UK
    50% MGM UK
    46% At the Races
    21% National Geographical Networks International

And of course we have to remember that BSkyB has a minority stake in Freeview itself (as well as itv, which in turn owns a share in both Freeview and Freesat). BSkyB's presence as minority shareholder means it gets to know what's happening in the sector. (The share in Freeview is pretty meaningless now as all the big decisions are made through Digital UK).

What is happening though, is that BSkyB is being gradually marginalised/watered down*, with some of the main broadcasters taking full control over their channels. Ironically, itv was (I think) the first when the Granada Sky joint venture was scrapped. As we can see, they hold a lesser position over the Viacom channels since the article linked to earlier from 2009, with no control over MTV, Viva or BET. For Paramount Partnership UK, read Comedy Central.

Viacom has also made a deal with Amazon's Lovefilm service - Viacom owns the brands and the rights to many programmes shown on its networks and so can distribute them as it wants completely sidestepping the actual linear channels that are the basis of any joint venture.

With these ongoing developments, it is clear why BSkyB is focusing more on its own channels and developing those brands and retaining exclusivity over some content and channels, while certain other channels become widely bundled onto every conceivable pay TV platform imaginable.

Therefore, any consideration of Sky shareholdership of certain channels in the context of VuTV is a bit of a red herring, which has unfortunately diverted the thread away from what is going to be a fantastic alternative to other providers, and what Top Up TV should have looked into had it wanted to adapt to survive.

I would like to think UKTV will join VuTV or similar service in the future. National Geographic must surely also be a contender for future addition. Discovery may also be a good candidate, with Eurosport not far behind.

*e.g. once upon a time (2004?) Sky held 50% of shares in Nick and Nat Geo's UK operations.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    The website is now up at http://www.vutv.com/
    You can "check your compatibility" by going to Ch238. Here it just says "coming soon".
    There's also a space to request a beta invite.

I had a look at the website and,although it said a Freeview HD TV was necessary, it doesn't actually state that the transmissions would be in HD - although if they are going to charge premium rates for it, I would expect them to be. The channel doesn't appear on either my six month-old HDTV or my YouView box, so I don't suppose I will be getting it. The historical channels might have been interesting, but there is always the chance that they might appear on YouView one day.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately like most of the retailers' descriptions it is impossible to say. Rather worrying is that "Freeview HD" is only mentioned under tuner types as the set has to have that sticker and have been tested after April 2011 for compliance. You will almost certainly get nowhere asking DRG staff if it is compatible and capable of receiving IPTV using MHEG-IC although if you do buy, make it absolutely clear that you wish to do so - ideally in writing. That way if it cannot, you can return it for a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act (including any incidental costs) as it would be "unfit for purpose".

As a general point, Samsung manufacture for the whole EU market with some features not available on UK sets. The tuner for example almost certainly is DVB-C (cable) compatible as this is used extensively on continental Europe, particularly places like the Netherlands and Germany. MHEG-IC is a particular requirement of the Freeview HD mark which is why, for example, YouView boxes do not carry it as they use a different IPTV protocol.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I had a look at the website and,although it said a Freeview HD TV was necessary, it doesn't actually state that the transmissions would be in HD

They probably won't be (although they might). The Freeview HD requirement is because MHEG-IC is part of the Freeview HD spec.
    The channel doesn't appear on either my six month-old HDTV or my YouView box, so I don't suppose I will be getting it.

Have you retuned? Can you get QVC? This service won't work on the YouView box, but should on the HDTV. In either case you'll still see it on the EPG, if you can pick up the SDN multiplex.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NowTV/Sky is using the Roku route to get extra viewers with Freeview.

It's also an app on Smart TV's. I'm currently beta testing NowTV on my LG.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2corney wrote: »

Other people have corrected you already, but that's just a deal for channel carriage and ad sales. So as previously said Sky have a 0% stake (ownership) in MTV and the Turner channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Freeview is really just a brand to promote free-to-air digital terrestrial TV channels. The platform is really "digital terrestrial television [DTT]", and it's had pay TV on it since 2004 after a (nearly) two year gap from the end of ITV Digital.

It is a shame that devices with MHEG-IC compatibility can't have a standalone logo on equipment, rather than being hidden behind the Freeview HD standard. As a result of the current branding and marketing arrangements, consumers are told they need a Freeview HD device to receive a service that is neither free nor in HD.

I know it's DTT, but they are all broadcast as 'Freeview HD'. That's the problem. The name 'Freeview' is in it.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    I've had a press release this morning (see website) regarding VuTV, which appeared on channel 238 earlier this week:

I've been informed more details about the launch date and subscription pricing will be made during IBC2013.

Thank you for this informative news, a516. It will add more TV choice to those who want/can afford to pay for such content. This is exactly the route that I would have expected Top Up TV to go down but someone's beaten them to it.

If VuTV eventually showed UKTV channels such as GOLD, Watch and Alibi then that would strengthen their channel portfolio.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for this informative news, a516. It will add more TV choice to those who want/can afford to pay for such content. This is exactly the route that I would have expected Top Up TV to go down but someone's beaten them to it.

If VuTV eventually showed UKTV channels such as GOLD, Watch and Alibi then that would strengthen their channel portfolio.

Its pretty much IPTV so there are loads of offerings out there already which have beaten VuTV to it :D

There is a lot of competition already in this market so it may struggle especially if there is likely to be compatibility issues.
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my tvonics hdr500hd, picks all of these up.. if vutv offer value for money id be tempted to get rid of my sky entirely.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Price will be everything. Can't help but think that Netflix's £6/month for a lot of on-demand films and TV will be hard for TUTV-style operations to compete with.
  • Mark_Cameron1Mark_Cameron1 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    What is happening though, is that BSkyB is being gradually marginalised/watered down*, with some of the main broadcasters taking full control over their channels.[/I]

Next step will be when the Premier League football teams take control of their matches and decide who will show their games, only a matter of time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Price will be everything. Can't help but think that Netflix's £6/month for a lot of on-demand films and TV will be hard for TUTV-style operations to compete with.

Its nothing like TUTV! Its IPTV which is not something TUTV ever did. Its merely using the DTT platform as doorway for IPTV delivery.

There is no live DTT content stream.
    There is no over the air download of content.

Its done over the internet ie IPTV.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few parallels with Top Up TV to be fair.

* No annual subscription term
    * Lower tier subscription channels offered
    * Claim of a low monthly subscription fee
    * Uses the DTT platform (albeit in a different way)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    There are a few parallels with Top Up TV to be fair.

* No annual subscription term
    * Lower tier subscription channels offered
    * Claim of a low monthly subscription fee
    * Uses the DTT platform (albeit in a different way)

Much the same as YouView :D
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is unlikely to be made available on YouView receivers, despite these being Freeview HD devices: understandably BT and TalkTalk will want you to go to them for such extra channels.
    It's now appearing on my Humax retail YouView box with VUTV COMING SOON on the screen.
    The only other services showing in the 200s are
    207 Kiss Me TV. On-screen message: Coming soon.
    208 Proud Dating. On-screen message: Coming Soon.
    237 Peace TV. On-screen message: You do not have a compatible Freeview HD device.
  • onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone point me in the direction of a CHEAP box that will work with this service. Doesnt need to do anything fancy as I have a Youview box for most stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onephat wrote: »
    Can someone point me in the direction of a CHEAP box that will work with this service. Doesnt need to do anything fancy as I have a Youview box for most stuff.

Your YouView box might work with it so you may not need to spend a penny. As for what boxes actually work with the service you will be best sticking to this forum to see what does or doesn't work due to vague technical standards! Just because its Freeview HD certified doesn't meant that it will work even though it should. Which has been a major problem with DTT for years!
  • onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your YouView box might work with it so you may not need to spend a penny. As for what boxes actually work with the service you will be best sticking to this forum to see what does or doesn't work due to vague technical standards! Just because its Freeview HD certified doesn't meant that it will work even though it should. Which has been a major problem with DTT for years!

cheers, i'll sit tight then.

Ben