So whats your Broadband speed at the moment?

Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,708
Forum Member
✭✭
Having spent many years with BT dial-up connection, I decided to go with the Talk Talk Essentials offer at the very last moment.
I was quoted an average speed of 3.3 megabits with a high of 4.7 and a low of 1.7(semi rural area).Went live last Thursday so the novelty value is still there and I can actually watch moving pictures so to speak. However the average speed Im getting is just 1.2 to 1.3 megabits though im not using the master phone socket. It works fine but just interested in the speeds people are getting from their various deals and the difference it makes.

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with Virginmedia and get 9.8M download on an up to 10M deal. They are due to upgrade to 20M for free in the next couple of months.

If you can get cable I think it is generally better.
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT Infinity, around 60 mbps. :)
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    60mbps on BT infinity connected wireless :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's around 11.5Mbits download and 1.07Mbits upload.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,542
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Having spent many years with BT dial-up connection, I decided to go with the Talk Talk Essentials offer at the very last moment.
    I was quoted an average speed of 3.3 megabits with a high of 4.7 and a low of 1.7(semi rural area).Went live last Thursday so the novelty value is still there and I can actually watch moving pictures so to speak. However the average speed Im getting is just 1.2 to 1.3 megabits though im not using the master phone socket. It works fine but just interested in the speeds people are getting from their various deals and the difference it makes.

Depends entirely where you are, and what the lines are like, and your wiring, and if there's anything more modern like cable available . The neighbour has just gone for talk talk and it should be a bit faster than BT, which struggles to give 1.25 or 1.5 here, Talk Talk may do better than that as its a LLU service. She's had no service though for a month and the engineers looking for her problem have disconnected my line several times too looking - the latest yesterday so mine is currently running at half speed. Basic Broadband used to take a time to settle down and find its stable level so you may be in a period where its still trying out different settings. if its still slower than the promise, it may be useful to find and post the statistics from the router a bit later on. There are equations which relate distance to attenuation, and achievable speed, and there are settings which simple broadband can set itself at which limit the speed - sometimes because there's a problem, sometimes because there was once a problem and sometimes because they just don't work properly.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Sky BB unlimited. Getting about 12.5Mb down and 1Mb uip.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,431
    Forum Member
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2273399869.png

71.12Mbps down/16.31 Mbps up, BT Infinity 2, wired.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Virgin Media.Wifi. 60 down
    http://speedtest.net/result/2273444222.png
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6meg download 0.6meg upload sky broadband
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We get a fairly stable 6 Meg on a Virgin 10Meg package.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SKY BB Unlimited here and get 12.9Mb down and 1Mb up
  • madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Media.

31 down and 2 up.

30mbps service with Superhub.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plusnet:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2273958741.png

I average about 9mb down.

I know my upload is capped atm, and I could uncap it, but I'm planning on getting Fibre with Plusnet at the end of the year.

I will say I've always seemed to get a fair good ping - http://www.pingtest.net/result/71488395.png
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends entirely where you are, and what the lines are like, and your wiring, and if there's anything more modern like cable available . The neighbour has just gone for talk talk and it should be a bit faster than BT, which struggles to give 1.25 or 1.5 here, Talk Talk may do better than that as its a LLU service. She's had no service though for a month and the engineers looking for her problem have disconnected my line several times too looking - the latest yesterday so mine is currently running at half speed. Basic Broadband used to take a time to settle down and find its stable level so you may be in a period where its still trying out different settings. if its still slower than the promise, it may be useful to find and post the statistics from the router a bit later on. There are equations which relate distance to attenuation, and achievable speed, and there are settings which simple broadband can set itself at which limit the speed - sometimes because there's a problem, sometimes because there was once a problem and sometimes because they just don't work properly.

Yes its very early days, and Im doing regular speed checks.Its geat just to be able to move about so to speak, though cable does seem to be the way forward. In a years time when this contract ends, will then give some more thought to the next stage.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2274961449.png

12.24 down, 1.15 up - and my house mate is currently watching the iPlayer. Normally it's around 15 down and 1.2 up.
  • darren221980darren221980 Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I'm with TalkTalk Business (Was residential until June this year), only 0.1 miles from local exchange and max download speed i've had is around 22mb, i get just under 1mb upload. Openreach have supposedly upgraded my exchange to fibre, now waiting for TalkTalk to say they offer me fibre speeds.
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM at 18.37 pm 58.81mb down with 2.82mb up.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I'm with Virginmedia and get 9.8M download on an up to 10M deal. They are due to upgrade to 20M for free in the next couple of months.

If you can get cable I think it is generally better.

Virgin Media,
    I was on 10mb, then the speed got upgraded to 20mb, as it says on the letter, but it still shows at 10mb when I go to speed test??
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally it is around the 11 to 12 Mb/s, but at the moment is 9.26 down and 1.42 up.

i don't have a fixed line broadband, instead it is point to point wireless with a module on the roof of my house. when i was on ADSL i got 4 is I was lucky and that was if the wind was blowing the right way :)
    The extra speed is good as it is always over the 5 megabits that I need to watch Netflix at a decent quality. I not bothered about HD, but I can normally watch in HD.

i don't know why the speed is a bit lower today, but that the way things go. Still better than ADSL.
  • DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossby41 wrote: »
    Plusnet:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2273958741.png

I average about 9mb down.

I know my upload is capped atm, and I could uncap it, but I'm planning on getting Fibre with Plusnet at the end of the year.

I will say I've always seemed to get a fair good ping - http://www.pingtest.net/result/71488395.png

I recently moved to PlusNet Fibre. It has been constently good at around 38MB. There is a 40GB cap which I have not breached yet.
  • davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just switched back to Virgin - getting around 20meg down and 2 meg up.Up to 30 meg deal.

On ADSL prev was getting 12 meg down and 1 meg up. Up to 24 meg deal. Primus, who retail TalkTalk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    37.7mb down, 8.1mb up on Sky Fibre

More importantly though no traffic management and no monthly download limit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched to Plusnet Extra Fibre, supposed to get 65mg with a 250 limit, but I'm only getting 47mg at the mo but there is a problem my phone is not working and is yet to be fixed Plusnet are still working on the problem.

Was with Sky previously but the normal broadband was dire so went with someone else.