Options

The race for Premier League promotion is ridiculously exciting right now

Comments

• Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,392
    Forum Member
    Derby had the sort of night out of form teams have..

Poor luck in the first half then TBH 2 good examples of shooting THEMSELVES in the foot 2nd half.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Its not rot. The League would have a lot of explaining to do.

One thing that I do agree with FIFA is in coming down hard on any team that goes near the courts of law re football matters and also expecting its member associations to come down hard.

The teams effectively sign up to ( I think maybe actually sign up to ) accepting no comeback on results of games. They participate on that basis.

And incompetent officiating ( as opposed to corrupt officiating ) can be moaned about as much as the teams and us fans want, but ultimately it has to be accepted as a done deal unless another team voluntarily decides to rectify things.

I certainly consider that that Bournemouth goal should have stood. But I also firmly believe Lee Mason to have been incompetent here and NOT corrupt.

It is hard on Bournemouth, could be very hard, but all teams at times have crucial decisions made wrongly for and against them. Even out ? - probably not within a season, but start going to courts of law and chaos and anarchy will reign.

Just NO !
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 defeats and 2 draws in their last 6 now.

Could easily have been five defeats and a draw. We really should have beaten them recently - we were much the better team in that game.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    International break has come at the right time for Derby; they should be back to full strength after that. It might be too late for them, though; you couldn't see them making up the gap if Middlesbrough and Watford win today.
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    One thing that I do agree with FIFA is in coming down hard on any team that goes near the courts of law re football matters and also expecting its member associations to come down hard.

The teams effectively sign up to ( I think maybe actually sign up to ) accepting no comeback on results of games. They participate on that basis.

And incompetent officiating ( as opposed to corrupt officiating ) can be moaned about as much as the teams and us fans want, but ultimately it has to be accepted as a done deal unless another team voluntarily decides to rectify things.

I certainly consider that that Bournemouth goal should have stood. But I also firmly believe Lee Mason to have been incompetent here and NOT corrupt.

It is hard on Bournemouth, could be very hard, but all teams at times have crucial decisions made wrongly for and against them. Even out ? - probably not within a season, but start going to courts of law and chaos and anarchy will reign.

Just NO !

I said right at the top the case would be incompetence, not corruption. Making a decision without seeing an incident goes way above and beyond seeing it and getting it wrong. Referees can apparently only give incidents if they see them. I assume this is in laws and/or interpretations of the game that teams play a part in and also sign up to.

However, as Bournemouth don't look like pursuing it, and it hopefully won't affect the outcomes at the top, maybe it won't come to that.

Just because you, or FIFA, mightn't like it, is hardly a reason to say it shouldn't happen if a club thinks its got a case. If a result cant be changed then it should be financially addressed where the circumstances are wholly clear. The head in the sand mentality is weak.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,058
    Forum Member
    Derby are getting desperate now, McLaren going on about how they were much the better team and the none sending off killed them.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said right at the top the case would be incompetence, not corruption. Making a decision without seeing an incident goes way above and beyond seeing it and getting it wrong. Referees can apparently only give incidents if they see them. I assume this is in laws and/or interpretations of the game that teams play a part in and also sign up to.

However, as Bournemouth don't look like pursuing it, and it hopefully won't affect the outcomes at the top, maybe it won't come to that.

Just because you, or FIFA, mightn't like it, is hardly a reason to say it shouldn't happen if a club thinks its got a case. If a result cant be changed then it should be financially addressed where the circumstances are wholly clear. The head in the sand mentality is weak.

Football is a sport.

Events that happen in games should be decided upon by the governing bodies, not by courts of law.
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on Boro!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Football is a sport.

Events that happen in games should be decided upon by the governing bodies, not by courts of law.

Bournemouth should just turn a blind eye to losing 90million on a point of principle then.

Interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bournemouth should just turn a blind eye to losing 90million on a point of principle then.

Interesting.

Effectively yes. There is nowhere really to go with this.

They could go to CAS after the FA would have told them where to go, and I am sure CAS would rightly not entertain doing anything re an official's error in a sporting contest.

Of course, it's big money. But another thing is you couldn't logically ever change things in any way / compensate teams for one high profile bad decision. What about team X's wrongly disallowed goal in the say the 3rd game of the season that if retrospectively awarded would then put them back ahead of Bournemouth, what about team Y with regard to this and team Z with regard to that ?

It would be chaos to set any sort of precedent regarding this incident.
  • Options
    Tusk0312Tusk0312 Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bournemouth lead Middlesbro' 1-0 at half time in the top of the table clash. enjoyable game so far.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,085
    Forum Member
    Bournemouth looking the better side so far and deserving of the lead. Boro very much still in this though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Middlesbrough at Bournemouth at 12.15 ?!

Do both teams have to agree to play at whatever time for a TV match ( and take the money ), i.e. could Middlesbrough have said no, it doesn't exactly suit our fans ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2-0 to Bournemouth now. Cracking goal.
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goal that! We are looking awful here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Effectively yes. There is nowhere really to go with this.

They could go to CAS after the FA would have told them where to go, and I am sure CAS would rightly not entertain doing anything re an official's error in a sporting contest.

Of course, it's big money. But another thing is you couldn't logically ever change things in any way / compensate teams for one high profile bad decision. What about team X's wrongly disallowed goal in the say the 3rd game of the season that if retrospectively awarded would then put them back ahead of Bournemouth, what about team Y with regard to this and team Z with regard to that ?

It would be chaos to set any sort of precedent regarding this incident.

But you are confusing this decision with all others where they were honestly made and replays or other sources later found to be wrong. What we have is an incident where a referee had his back turned, a linesman didn't flag, and a goal was disallowed and a player booked.

If it is patently obvious that the referee has guessed to what has happened, and a key principle of refereeing being giving what you see, that is entirely a different matter to whether an offside was missed by a hair's breadth.

I would agree it could probably go nowhere but I would raise the matter anyway. If the referee can and/or has accounted for his actions then fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The ref got that last penalty decision wrong but 3-0 it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the ref's been suckered there. clear dive by Arter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bournemouth enhancing their already best in the division GD.

Could change but looking pretty likely that any team going to finish ahead of them will need more points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    full time: Bournemouth 3-0 Middlesbrough

big result for Bournemouth. 6 of their 7 final games essentially against mid-table sides.

as it stands:

1) Bournemouth - p39; 73 pts
    2) Watford - p38; 72 pts
    3) Middlesbrough - p39; 72 pts
    4) Norwich - p38; 67 pts
    5) Derby - p39; 67 pts
    6) Brentford - p38; 65 pts
    7) Wolves - p39; 65 pts
    8) Ipswich - p38; 64 pts

currently Brentford 1-0 down to Millwall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very impressive win for Bournemouth, they completely outplayed Boro.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tusk0312 wrote: »
    big result for Bournemouth. 6 of their 7 final games essentially against mid-table sides.

If they can get a win against Ipswich in their next game then they will be very well placed with the last 6 fixtures against teams with nothing to play for as you say. They play Reading on the Tuesday before their FA Cup semi too. I can see Reading playing their second string in that match.
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always had this nagging feeling that when it came to the crunch Bournemouth might slip away from the automatic spots and have to settle for the play-offs, but you know what, after this huge win today and looking at their remaining fixtures I'm now thinking only complacency will stop them from gaining one of those top two spots. They are an impressive side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    full-time: Brentford 2-2 Millwall

amazing comeback from the Bee's, scoring twice in the final few minutes to salvage a draw.

as it stands:

1) Bournemouth - p39; 73 pts
    2) Watford - p38; 72 pts
    3) Middlesbrough - p39; 72 pts
    4) Norwich - p38; 67 pts
    5) Derby - p39; 67 pts
    6) Brentford - p39; 66 pts
    7) Wolves - p39; 65 pts
    8) Ipswich - p38; 64 pts

this afternoon it's Watford v Ipswich, and Norwich v Nottm Forest.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tusk0312 wrote: »
    full-time: Brentford 2-2 Millwall

amazing comeback from the Bee's, scoring twice in the final few minutes to salvage a draw.

Yep, a fantastic comeback to snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat. Although I suspect Brentford will ultimately be extremely disappointed to have not beaten the team 2nd from bottom in the table at home.