Options

Scalp psoriasis

springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
Forum Member
✭✭
I have psoriasis on the nape of my neck in my hairline.

Does anyone know of a cream, lotion or potion that I can buy over the counter.that stops the itching? As where I keep scratching and making it sore one of lymph nodes keeps getting infected and that's painful.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does anyone know of a cream, lotion or potion that I can buy over the counter.that stops the itching? As where I keep scratching and making it sore one of lymph nodes keeps getting infected and that's painful.

Having suffered 10 years of this before going onto intensive treatment I found nothing over the counter worked.

Go to your GP. Ask for something from them. For me Cocois ointment used to calm it and soften the crust so that could be combed out. I then used to use Dovonex to treat the cleaned scalp.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just try and avoid anything with sodium laurel suplhate and plan your hair washing so you can dry it naturally, and also try and destress as stress can bring it on seriously
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Male or female?

If you're male I'd suggest having a really short haircut. My husband gets load on his which goes when his hair is kept really short.
  • Options
    Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having suffered 10 years of this before going onto intensive treatment I found nothing over the counter worked.

Go to your GP. Ask for something from them. For me Cocois ointment used to calm it and soften the crust so that could be combed out. I then used to use Dovonex to treat the cleaned scalp.

I use the same two treatments, Cocois ointment and Dovonex, however, the scalp and nape of the neck are the only areas which seem to have stayed permanent for me since first diagnosis yonks ago when I was in primary school. Since then at my most stressed periods I have had some body psoriasis which responds well and will disappear, perhaps to come back a little bit many years later in the same spots, but the scalp psoriasis only goes for a day or so with the above treatments and then comes back.

I wish I could say to you I've had success with the treatment and that it's disappeared, but in my case it hasn't, although every case is different and you might have better luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In general, there's nothing really that you can buy over the counter, you're going to have to go to the doctor.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both me and my son have had it for years. We sometimes get it clear, but it always comes back again. For me I use Betnovate scalp application and Capasol shampoo which I get on prescription. My son uses a special preparation from the dermatolgist at the hospital, plus Capasol shampoo. We have both used Cocais on occasion.

I think once you have got it you have it for life.

My Father also has this and is 91 now, he has had it for as long as I can remember. He uses Polytar Shampoo.
  • Options
    novicenovice Posts: 3,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cocois isn't produced now. It's called Sebco. Same thing just different name. You could also try Ketopine or Nizoral shampoo (same thing just different versions).

Steroid treatments like Betnovate, Xamiol, Etrivex, Dovonex need a prescription AFAIK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you everyone was hoping I would not need to visit a Dr but looks like thats what I have to do.

54 seems a funny age to suddenly get it and at the least stressful time im my life but saying that when it first appeared I was having a bit of a problem after a few months stress free.

Thank you again.
  • Options
    bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would try a decent pharmacist first OP - they will probably be able to help.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    bridgetb wrote: »
    I would try a decent pharmacist first OP - they will probably be able to help.

Who, if he/she is a decent pharmacist, refer you to your GP straight away. :)
  • Options
    Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ceanel shampoo from the pharmacy will get rid of it completely within 3 or 4 washes, thereafter use maybe once a week, reducing to once a fortnight. You ask for it over the counter, you don't need a prescription. It's not a tar based shampoo like Polytar which are more for dandruff and generally useless for psoriasis, but is a de-scaling agent for scalp and body. It's what they used in the dermatology unit when I was an inpatient in hospital for psoriasis. It's very concentrated and a little goes a long way so a bottle lasts for ages, the last one I bought has been going for a couple of years as I find it solves the problem so quickly I don't need it anymore:).

However psoriasis being what it is it will probably come back at random times in your life. You will never fully get rid of it, just learn to deal with it when it peaks. Everyone is different and certain things will make one person worse (stress, fatigue) and certain things will makeanother person better better(sunlight/ UVB), but if you can find a way of coping with it without continually dosing your skin with steroids so much the better. After years I just get on with life now and accept my skin for what it is and if I look a bit scabby from time to time, too bad:D:o I only resort to steroid ointment to do a temporary blitz for a very brief time if it's particularily bad.

What works best for me is sunlight and I've had UV treatment as an outpatient in hospital too. This is all very carefully monitored BTW, it's not just a case of frying under a sunbed ....please no-one attempt that, they are the wrong light wavelengh anyway !

Good luck, OP:). Do try the Ceanel. Its dear (about £7 a bottle) but you should only need to buy it once.
  • Options
    maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know it's psoriasis if you haven't seen a doctor?
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I recommend Tgel therapeutic shampoo from all superstores.
    This worked for my husband, but as regards myself I use Betnovate scalp application (on prescription) which gets rid for a while if it gets too bad but of course it always comes back. I have had scalp psoriasis for 45 years, at varying degrees - sometimes worse than other times. Trying not to scratch and pick is best as it could make it raw and get an infection. I don't use special shampoo as it strips the colour from my hair.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    T-Gel to keep it down once a perscribed 'ointment' has cleared it.

And beware of joint problems..... Mine has now become psoriatic arthritis and the earlier that this is spotted the better :eek:

Just before that scares you only a small percentage of people with psoriasis develop psoriatic arthritis. Mine was diagnosed a little late so i have had one toe joint removed and others may follow :(
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Male or female?

If you're male I'd suggest having a really short haircut. My husband gets load on his which goes when his hair is kept really short.

yes but if you have the redness which goes with some psoriasis a short haircut doesnt help but highlights the fact you have it

this is why i have long hair
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    I have had scalp psoriasis for a very long time, and have tried most medical solutions. What works for me is olive oil - massage it in and leave it overnight two or three times a week. It is gentle and natural. Steroids, even taken topically can still have side effects.

The other thing I would recommend is a good hairdresser, they seem to know far more about scalp psoriasis than most doctors, and will tell you that it is fairly common.

The best advice my hairdresser gave me was to stop shampooing my hair so regularly, but instead to smother hair in conditioner, leave for 5 minutes then rinse off in the shower. This really works, shampoo strips the hair and scalp of natural oils, whereas conditioner nourishes them. I still shampoo, but only every 10 days or so, the conditioner and water keeps the scalp and hair clean without stripping it.
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The best advice my hairdresser gave me was to stop shampooing my hair so regularly, but instead to smother hair in conditioner, leave for 5 minutes then rinse off in the shower. This really works, shampoo strips the hair and scalp of natural oils, whereas conditioner nourishes them. I still shampoo, but only every 10 days or so, the conditioner and water keeps the scalp and hair clean without stripping it.

i can back this up i tend to not wash the hair too often as i used to now and let the oils in my scalp work their magic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you everyone lots of good ideas for me to be getting on with. I really do not want to go down the steroid road or even the Dr road, that's why I asked here for people who have managed to control it by other means.
  • Options
    maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to follow a doctors advice if you don't want to but real psoriasis, not exzema(sp?) or dermatitis or other skin complaints, can be a bugger to treat and it can spread horribly and uncontrollably. So maybe you could just get a diagnosis , even if you don't want the standard treatments, which I understand completely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I'm using betnovate and mines the best it's been for years. It' a bugger to wash out though - takes about 6 shampoo's

Be careful what shampoo you use, I use head and shoulders menthol and it doesn't irritate it.

A scrub made of olive oil and salt will get rid of the scale and really kill the itching for a day or two.

Psoriasis help organisation is a really good website and discussion forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone lots of good ideas for me to be getting on with. I really do not want to go down the steroid road or even the Dr road, that's why I asked here for people who have managed to control it by other means.

You just need to put the steroid cream on when you have a flare up. One tube lasts me about a year. It hasn't thinned my skin or had any other effect on me apart from reducing the psorasis.

The thing is, you need to take care of it or it will spread and it can leave horrible scars.
  • Options
    SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found tea tree based creams were the only effective remedy for mine. And tea tree shampoo used to help soothe it too. The best solution as others have said is to address the cause - mine only flares up with financial worries and (touch wood) hasn't done for many years now, as I've learnt how to budget :o
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starman700 wrote: »
    yes but if you have the redness which goes with some psoriasis a short haircut doesnt help but highlights the fact you have it

this is why i have long hair

I dunno..I only know that my husband's clears completely on his head when I give a number 1 or with no guard cut. If he hair gets,a little bit ling between cuts it comes back with a vengeance.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Hi that must be very stressful, I had something similar and it gets you down sometimes.

I would avoid using any shampoos on your hail and use something natural.

I would use Virgin organic coconut oil - around £6 a tub (try coconoil.co.uk or ebay/amazon). Its amazing stuff !
  • Options
    MilkyRoadMilkyRoad Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    just try and avoid anything with sodium laurel suplhate and plan your hair washing so you can dry it naturally, and also try and destress as stress can bring it on seriously
    I've been using Psoeasy shampoo as my psoriasis scalp treatment and honestly the outcomes are pretty satisfying which is why I'd recommend the shampoo to those allergic to parabens and sodium sulphate-based preparations https://psoeasy.com/en/scalp-psoriasis-treatment