Options

Passing on the family home

Comments

• Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Second off, it's not in earned. It was earned by the parents or who ever who is leaving it behind. It's been taxed.Why should general society get a hand in?

See post #74.
  • Options
    MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    There is definitely 2 sides posting within this group.

1) How dare anyone assume they are entitled to whatever happens to be left to them by whoever chooses to leave it to them without anything taxed.

2) People who think that because the assets have been accumulated through someone else's life, and had various forms of tax on whatever the assets are already placed on them through their life time, that it shouldn't then further be taxed when given in a will.

Whilst both sides are entitled to their opinion, I find it hard to follow this thread now with the underlying snipes between the two camps. It's hardly an adult way to handle things. It has potential to be a very informative thread for people. I for one am genuinely interested in the facts that people are stating here rather than assuming anyone ASKING is a self-entitled windfall merchant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Most people are subject to double taxation (or sometimes more) .

Most of us pay income tax on earned income. We then pay VAT on goods that we purchase with our net (after tax) income. If we choose to invest in stocks and shares or buy a second property, we also pay tax on any income generated by those assets. When those investments are sold, we are liable to pay Capital Gains Tax on any profits made, subject to certain allowances/exemptions.

Inheritance tax is in many ways similar to Capital Gains Tax. For many (probably most) people, the biggest "profit" that they make in their lifetime will be the increase in the capital value of their home. This "profit" is not taxed during their lifetime (*see below), but is instead captured by Inheritance Tax when the property is "disposed of", i.e. when the estate is wound up. It should also be noted that IHT is a tax on the estate of the deceased, not on the beneficiaries - they simply receive their inheritance after tax has been deducted from the value of the estate. Personally, I regard this a windfall but others will no doubt disagree ...

IHT is a tax on wealth and whilst it may be imperfect, it is at least "progressive" (meaning that it impacts to the greatest extent on those who are wealthiest) so for the majority of people, it's probably better than the alternatives (e.g. raising income tax, VAT etc.)

* Council Tax bands and bills are based on property values in 1993 and therefore do not reflect the substantial increase in property values since then.

Thank you for this. Very interesting read.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minnimo wrote: »
    There is definitely 2 sides posting within this group.

1) How dare anyone assume they are entitled to whatever happens to be left to them by whoever chooses to leave it to them without anything taxed.

2) People who think that because the assets have been accumulated through someone else's life, and had various forms of tax on whatever the assets are already placed on them through their life time, that it shouldn't then further be taxed when given in a will.

Whilst both sides are entitled to their opinion, I find it hard to follow this thread now with the underlying snipes between the two camps. It's hardly an adult way to handle things. It has potential to be a very informative thread for people. I for one am genuinely interested in the facts that people are stating here rather than assuming anyone ASKING is a self-entitled windfall merchant.
    Actually there is a third camp.

Those who, probably like myself, will stand to inherit from an estate where inheritance tax will be due and who is happy for that to be taxed :)
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is my opinion put more perfectly than I ever could.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    panixs wrote: »
    As for other rich people there are ways around the inheritance tax but you need a good accountant and lawyer.

You reckon?

We're not rich, but we're happy to invest a decent amount to avoid a quite monumental bill as and when.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »

Those who, probably like myself, will stand to inherit from an estate where inheritance tax will be due and who is happy for that to be taxed :)

You're quite right. Apologies. :)
    That is my opinion put more perfectly than I ever could.

I don't mean either option to come across as bad towards either. That's what makes it an interesting discussion, and helps more information come through. It's just the little snipes here and there that were starting to spoil it slightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Panixs meant that as a slight. I think the point about needing a good account and lawyer has been proven by how many of us here had no real understand of how IHT works.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    First off, you've proven your first statement to be false with your last statement.

I really haven't. Its basic maths. Because the first 325k is not taxed, the total tax would never actually be 40% of the total amount left by the deceased.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Personally i would be very pleased (and incredibly lucky) to be getting an inheritance so large it is subject to inheritance tax. Its just pure selfishness to complain about some of that cash going to the greater good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Personally i would be very pleased (and incredibly lucky) to be getting an inheritance so large it is subject to inheritance tax. Its just pure selfishness to complain about some of that cash going to the greater good.

You see I am from the other camp. I have done several things to ensure that should I pass away I have left people in a comfortable position.

Various things have already BEEN taxed for the greater good. I willingly choose and WISH for my property and assets to go to someone so that their life may be comfortable should it be for the rest of their days.

I don't think that as selfish. I think of that, as through my life I will have contributated in various ways, as will the receipient of my assets should I pass away before them, and we will have already helped contribute to the greater good as you say through our life times.

I stand by what I say in that I don't see that as selfish at all. More that I care about people that I may leave behind and wish for them to be comfortable to a degree (as much as you can in life anyway).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what options there are for "creative" valuation, not illegally so, but getting the lowest possible valuation using any potential trick in the book?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    I wonder what options there are for "creative" valuation, not illegally so, but getting the lowest possible valuation using any potential trick in the book?
    We did have a situation in our family where the three main beneficiaries were myself, my brother and my aunts partner. She'd expressly said she wanted him to be able to afford to buy her home with a comfortable mortgaged.
    It all got very complicated but basically the 3rds were made up of the house, insurance polices and pensions.
    The value of the house was more than anyone expected but we (all the beneficiaries) agreed on a lower sale price of the house to her partner.
    It was below market value but it was all legal apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The value in question is a few 10s of thousands over the 325K threshold, so a decently creative under valuation would be just the ticket. There must be lawyers out there who can do this stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You see I am from the other camp. I have done several things to ensure that should I pass away I have left people in a comfortable position.

Various things have already BEEN taxed for the greater good. I willingly choose and WISH for my property and assets to go to someone so that their life may be comfortable should it be for the rest of their days.

I don't think that as selfish. I think of that, as through my life I will have contributated in various ways, as will the receipient of my assets should I pass away before them, and we will have already helped contribute to the greater good as you say through our life times.

I stand by what I say in that I don't see that as selfish at all. More that I care about people that I may leave behind and wish for them to be comfortable to a degree (as much as you can in life anyway).

I don't think the person giving away the wealth can ever be thought of as selfish, and I'm sure everybody wants to give their loved ones a comfortable inheritance upon their passing.

What is selfish is receiving a large inheritance and then wanting it to be even bigger, causing other needy causes to miss out as a result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    The value in question is a few 10s of thousands over the 325K threshold, so a decently creative under valuation would be just the ticket. There must be lawyers out there who can do this stuff.

You could indeed try to defraud the system for personal gain, or you could just pay what is going to be a very small amount of tax in light of the overall sum of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think the person giving away the wealth can ever be thought of as selfish, and I'm sure everybody wants to give their loved ones a comfortable inheritance upon their passing.

What is selfish is receiving a large inheritance and then wanting it to be even bigger, causing other needy causes to miss out as a result.

Tax isn't a charity though? It is rare that people are millionaires, nor very well off in this day and age, and whilst they're not dependant upon any leavings as a life or death situation, it could potentially make their lives a lot more comfortable. It would be my wish that my full estate is distributed how I dictate in my will. Thats my money, my assets, my valuables that I have earned through my life. I don't think thats an unreasonable want?
    You could indeed try to defraud the system for personal gain, or you could just pay what is going to be a very small amount of tax in light of the overall sum of money.

I could be wrong, but I think what started this is that it's not that small. And could potentially cause people to have to sell family homes, or be indebted for 10 years in order to pay off something that they really dont have a lot of control over. I could be misreading though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tax isn't a charity though?

But where does tax go? Schools and hospitals are quite nice things to have.
    I could be wrong, but I think what started this is that it's not that small. And could potentially cause people to have to sell family homes, or be indebted for 10 years in order to pay off something that they really dont have a lot of control over. I could be misreading though.

"A few 10s of thousands" was what was quoted. So lets say its 30k over. Tax on that is going to be 12k.

12k out of a total inheritance of 355k is about 3%. 3% tax is tiny! I don't think anyone is going to be loosing there home over a debt that is 3% if the total value of the property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But where does tax go? Schools and hospitals are quite nice things to have.

"A few 10s of thousands" was what was quoted. So lets say its 30k over. Tax on that is going to be 12k.

12k out of a total inheritance of 355k is about 3%. 3% tax is tiny! I don't think anyone is going to be loosing there home over a debt that is 3% if the total value of the property.

Thanks for clarifying for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But where does tax go? Schools and hospitals are quite things to have.
    And we've been paying taxes to fund these things all out lives. When I pop off this mortal coil I don't expect what I left behind to be taxed again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And we've been paying taxes to fund these things all out lives. When I pop off this mortal coil I don't expect what I left behind to be taxed again.

Well this valid also.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But you would have amassed that wealth because of your health and your education.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member

This goes for me too.

And as I was reading through the thread I was itching to add that I had never understood the argument that you shouldn't pay tax on inherited wealth as tax had already been paid on it, as the same could be said about almost all taxes you pay. But then I got to Yosemite's post #74 which makes that point excellently.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wondered what would happen, if gave away £500,000 amongst, say 10 friends to share and I died 1 year later. I assume the taxman goes after them, what would happen if there was no record whom I gave them to and that I left no further assets. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you would have amassed that wealth because of your health and your education.
    This point makes no sense to me. If we go through life paying taxes we pay for health and schools. Debt repaid.
    Why then should my things be taxed a again when I've died?
    Surely it's the hospitals fault in the first place that I died....as most likely that's the last place I'd be seen alive :p:p ( joking joking)