Options

My Easter Egg tastes weird

13»

Comments

• Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The filling in the mini eggs definitely tasted different to that in the normal size creme eggs, and it wasn't very pleasant.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    The filling in the mini eggs definitely tasted different to that in the normal size creme eggs, and it wasn't very pleasant.

mini eggs and creme eggs are two different things, mini eggs have solid chocolate in the middle and creme eggs have fondant like goo (I don't know how else to describe it) in the middle
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So my granddaughter had a Cadbury's egg, inside it was a Jelly Popping Candy Shells bar.
    Here's the ingredients:o:
    Milk, sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, vegetable fats (palm, shea), glucose syrup, invert sugar syrup, lactose (from milk), wheat dextrin, emulsifiers (E442, E476, soya lecithin), dried whey (from milk), fat reduced cocoa, dried whole milk, glazing agents (gum arabic, beeswax, shellac, carnauba wax), colours (anthocyanins, E172, E171, beetroot red, carotenes, E101), flavourings, citric acid.

And it said: Not suitable for vegetarians. I though what on earth:confused:... eventually got to shellac.
    This is what it is: SA resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is processed and sold as dry flakes and dissolved in ethanol to make liquid shellac, which is used as a brush-on colorant, food glaze and wood finish. :kitty:

Apparently they scrape it off the trees and a load of bugs come with it: The shellac, which contains bark shavings and lac bugs removed during scraping, is placed in canvas tubes and heated over a fire. This causes the shellac to liquify, and it seeps out of the canvas, leaving the bark and bugs behind. The thick, sticky shellac is then dried into a flat sheet and broken into flakes, or dried into "buttons" (pucks/cakes), then bagged and sold. :o

I'm guessing that's why the veggies (never mind everyone else) should avoid it.

Edited to add: On the Easter Egg box it says "Not suitable for vegetarians", but on the Cadbury website it says it is. Not very good.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't say it on an actual Jelly popping candy bar, I've just looked at the wrapper.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't say it on an actual Jelly popping candy bar, I've just looked at the wrapper.

No, it was just on the Easter Egg box, under a long list of ingredients which started with the chocolate of the egg, then went on to the egg's content bars. The other parts of the egg have various warnings for stuff like gluten.

I've just had a look on their website and it says another contents of that egg - Cookie Nut Crunch bar, is not suitable for vegetarians.
    Its ingredients:
    Milk, sugar, cocoa butter, vegetable fats (palm, shea), wheat flour, cocoa mass, chopped roasted hazelnuts, emulsifiers (E442, E476, rapeseed lecithin, soya lecithin), invert sugar syrup, blanched almonds, tapioca starch, sweetened condensed skimmed milk, wheat starch, fat-reduced cocoa, salt, dried whey (from milk), dried skimmed milk, milk fat, raising agents (sodium bicarbonate, ammonium bicarbonate), partially demineralised dried whey (from milk), flavourings, glazing agents (gum arabic, shellac).

Underneath that list:
    CONTAINS: ALMONDS, HAZELNUTS, MILK, WHEAT, GLUTEN, SOYA. MAY CONTAIN: OTHER NUTS. NOT SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS.

Surely it must be the shellac, also in the candy poppers?
    Cadbury's seem to be in a muddle over this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be the shellac, it's the same reason why Smarties aren't suitable for vegetarians.

But the actual bar doesn't say suitable for them so I would reckon theyre no good for them.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mini eggs and creme eggs are two different things, mini eggs have solid chocolate in the middle and creme eggs have fondant like goo (I don't know how else to describe it) in the middle

Used to be nice goo in the middle of Creme Eggs until Kraft changed it, Or is that the chocolate around the side that has the stupid aftertaste of USA chocolate :(
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

These mini eggs DID have white goo in them, and it tasted different.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    I am not surprised to read this. A couple of years ago I bought myself a Cadburys easter egg and it was utterly revolting. The chocolate had a strange flexible consistency and placing in the fridge made no difference. There was a sour aftertaste and the egg itself was ridiculously thin.
  • Options
    blahblahblah57blahblahblah57 Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People were advised to boycott Cadbury's chocolate months ago as it now tastes disgusting. It seems the message didn't filter through in time for Easter.
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Cadbury are probably using a cheaper recipe as they are with Crème Eggs
    Asmo wrote: »
    They've been doing some underhanded changes to the recipe/quality of the range - where in the past any Cadbury product was made with the familiar tasting 'dairy milk' chocolate, now you'll notice that this claim (made with 'dairy milk') is absent from many of the familiar products (such as the creme egg, see link below) - it's just a generic, cheaper substitute chocolate. The thinking must be that, in particular, the novelty seasonal items can be any old crud, as they sell as gifts on the whole, and the brand has such a profile.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/12/shellshock-cadbury-comes-clean-on-creme-egg-chocolate-change

There's your answer up above - a boycott is definitely in order - creme eggs are now disgusting.
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Go get a Hershey's bar and if its the same. I fear Hershey's quality may be the future for Cadbury!

I 100% agree - this is what happens when we sell UK chocolate firms to the Americans.

Could they not have sold Cadbury's to the Swiss or the Belgians?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange that the Irish Cadbury's actually seems to have gotten better. Or maybe it's just in comparison.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you are probably a little to old to be eating Easter eggs, they are for kids

Nonsense.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    These mini eggs DID have white goo in them, and it tasted different.

Then they sound seriously suspect :o

Mini eggs don't contain white goo. Had mine last night and they were as they should be, and jolly nice too :D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are probably a little to old to be eating Easter eggs, they are for kids

Easter eggs are to remind us all to heed Christ's good example of having a good lie-in, every now and then, even if three days is overdoing it.

Incidentally, with the whole Ascension thing that happened forty days after, could Christ not be retrospectively certified as world all-time high jump champion?
  • Options
    Chippy ChipsChippy Chips Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after a phone call this morning, we received an apology and the promise of vouchers in the post.

They claimed that sometimes things can go wrong on the production line, and these eggs were probably casualties of that.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a thread recently about Cadbury's crème eggs tasting different, since the American company also responsible for the disgusting Hershey bars, had bought them out and changed the recipe.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    It'll be the shellac, it's the same reason why Smarties aren't suitable for vegetarians.

But the actual bar doesn't say suitable for them so I would reckon theyre no good for them.

:o

nor is guinness i very sadly discovered a while back.

luckily i have a poor memory.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Hershey bars

Didn't Sham 69 do a song about them?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can get mini creme eggs.