Weight loss thread - 2015 edition

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17st 0.8lb this morning.... so close!?!?!

Well done Steve.

Do you have any thoughts on why your weight loss slowed down when you got under 17.5 stone? Exactly the same thing happened to me, it's odd.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,766
    Forum Member
    Weight as of one week ago (24 April): 16st 4lbs
    Weight as of now (1 May): 16st exactly
    Net change: -4lbs

All I can say is :D. Another week ahead!
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Steve.

Do you have any thoughts on why your weight loss slowed down when you got under 17.5 stone? Exactly the same thing happened to me, it's odd.

Thanks

I think part of it is that your body gets used to whatever you're doing and starts to level out.
    So you then have to do even more to work the weight off. I expected that... just not this early considering I've only lost a quarter of my target!

I'm guessing some changes to my diet didn't help either. I was sticking to 3 meals a day and no snacks. Also avoiding anything blatantly unhealthy. However for a period of 2 weeks we were struggling money wise and so waiting for payday before getting more shopping in.

Since January I've mainly been having cereals for breakfast. Lunches have been leftovers from the previous nights dinner which was stuff made from scratch.

During the period where we were running low on food breakfasts were mainly toast and lunches were sandwiches so straight away I was adding probably at least a loaf of bread to my diet throughout each week.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You lost half a stone in 2 weeks? I haven't eaten chocolate in over 4 months and go to the gym 4 times a week and struggle to lose a pound.

Trust me when I say you're eating something your body can't metabolise with the efficiency it needs in order for you to lose weight. I'm obviously no expert, but I've spent the last 7 years (on and off) trying to get down to 12st anything and have only just managed it (today in fact). Chocolate is the main culprit. But the cause of my craving is a spike in my blood sugar levels after eating my main meal.

Please don't misunderstand me. When I say I was eating chocolate, I mean I was buying a £35 box of chocolate coated monster flapjacks (36 in a box) and wolfing the lot down in less than 2 weeks. And of course in addition to this, the harmless bars of chocolate when I was out and about.

Controlling my blood sugar level is the key to my current success. Of that there is no doubt. But another thing is my meals are all prepared by me now. No more vegetable patties with all that lovely pastry to keep me from losing weight.
    I'm done with that.

Tell a lie I did buy 5 of them last night, but it won't be an every day thing like it was.

Bread is the key ingredient my body can't process. If I analyse everything, it all boils down to my diet. I'm not going to the gym any more than I use to. I don't even use the treadmill (recently) when I go.
    Just to touch on my main point. My body can process potatoes in a couple of hours. It means I urinate more, but no adverse weight gain.

Find out what your body can and can't metabolise and take it from there.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    sounds a bit excusish. either people want to lose weight or not.

no point saying well im doing this which is better than nothing.

go hard or go home i say

Sorry, only just seen this.

Excuse or not it is working for me. Only exercise I do is walking and swimming. Currently at 9.5 stone lost.

I am not saying it is all I will ever do and I won't need to change something up in the future but it is working for me at the moment and I am enjoying it much more than HIIT sessions (which I have done in the past).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 17st 0.4lb in my weigh in this morning. I was 17st 4.8lbs two weeks ago, so 4.4lb lost.

2.2lbs a week is reasonable I suppose.. I mean not compared to what i'm doing but as long as I keep it over 2lbs a week i can live with it. Just another 35 weeks to go . . . . . :(
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15.7st now. And that is without low carb and eating 85% coco chocolate which is apparently good for the blood vessels. Going to go low carb for this week.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16st 13lb this morning.
    2st 1lb loss since the beginning of the year! :D
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Sorry, only just seen this.

Excuse or not it is working for me. Only exercise I do is walking and swimming. Currently at 9.5 stone lost.

I am not saying it is all I will ever do and I won't need to change something up in the future but it is working for me at the moment and I am enjoying it much more than HIIT sessions (which I have done in the past).

and that is great if you are happy with amount of weight you are losing.

what i am saying is for optimal fat loss you need to do HIIT. this is for optimal i repeat, not the only way to lose fat full stop.

as for others talking about metabolism, you should try to fit in refeed days(once every 10-14 days) or reffed weeks every 10 weeks to give your metabolism a shock and get it burning faster again before dropping your calories back down.

increasing calories by 700-800 odd calories for those days should do the trick,continue to do excercise though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what i am saying is for optimal fat loss you need to do HIIT. this is for optimal i repeat, not the only way to lose fat full stop.

as for others talking about metabolism, you should try to fit in refeed days(once every 10-14 days) or reffed weeks every 10 weeks to give your metabolism a shock and get it burning faster again before dropping your calories back down.

increasing calories by 700-800 odd calories for those days should do the trick,continue to do excercise though.

The human body is dumb :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a complicated one thats for sure. just when you think something is working BHAM! keep you on your toes thats for sure.
  • StevenukStevenuk Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the beginning of the year i was 18.4 Stone so i out out snacks and chocolate and since then i'm now 14.4 Stone and still seems to be going down little bit every week so i'm very happy with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stevenuk wrote: »
    At the beginning of the year i was 18.4 Stone so i out out snacks and chocolate and since then i'm now 14.4 Stone and still seems to be going down little bit every week so i'm very happy with that.

That's pretty good weight loss.

Out of interest, did you also increase your exercise levels and/or cut down on drinking or anything else like that? Or was it literally just chocolate and snacks you cut out?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am happy with losing weight slowly - although I average just under 2lb per week so it's not that slow and is a healthy rate. I know I could lose more if I did more exercise and had less calories but I don't want to do the extreme. I am aiming for a lifestyle change and extremes are more likely (for me) to be forgotten about in the long run and I will end up yoyoing.
  • Katharine_RangeKatharine_Range Posts: 2,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My stomach has quickly become noticeably flatter despite all the junk food I always eat because over the past two months, I have been walking unusually long distances in hilly areas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I am happy with losing weight slowly - although I average just under 2lb per week so it's not that slow and is a healthy rate. I know I could lose more if I did more exercise and had less calories but I don't want to do the extreme. I am aiming for a lifestyle change and extremes are more likely (for me) to be forgotten about in the long run and I will end up yoyoing.

2lbs a week is ALOT, may aswell keep going as you are
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A54F733D-270B-4BC0-8C30-56D0E18719EF_zpsc5plgy1w.jpg

Before during and as of now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Befor during and as of now

awesome job! much respect

can i ask how you went about that change?

weight training and cardio? eat at calorific defecit? macros etc?
  • Katharine_RangeKatharine_Range Posts: 2,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Before during and as of now

Excellent. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awesome job! much respect

can i ask how you went about that change?

weight training and cardio? eat at calorific defecit? macros etc?

Pretty much all of the above really ... I joined a Bootcamp ... So it was a complete mix of cardio... strength.. Body weighted exercise .. Also tyres kettle bells and core bag work ... (Which resulted in pictures 1-2) ... And basically cutting out the rubbish from my diet sugar sweets chocolate crisps ..... Then from 2-3 ... It's been more high protein based diet (so lots of chicken broccoli eggs etc protein shakes ) .... And the last stage I have just joined a gym so I can lift heavier than what we have at Bootcamp

Bear in mind I pretty started out working out at Bootcamp three times a weeks then as the trainer increased the sessions I did the extra session which equated me to working out 5 times a week (sometimes doing a double session ) so a lot of sweat has gone into getting where I am .... It's mainly diet now which will get me to where I want to be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent. :)

Thank you Katherine it's been a hard slog .... Have a way more to go to where I'll be happy

I've actually lost two jeans sizes and out of XXL shirts and t shirts to large and in spitting distance of meduim :)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bermondseybrick - well done :D

17th April - 13 stone 0.4Ib
    Today - 12 stone 10.8Ib.

So ... not exactly the best weight loss in the world, but it ain't bad. I have to say that my stomach does seem flatter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

Today - 12 stone 10.8Ib.

So ... not exactly the best weight loss in the world, but it ain't bad. I have to say that my stomach does seem flatter.

Thank you porcupine :) ... Good job on your weight loss .... Every time you lose a pound you're winning :)
  • StevenukStevenuk Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's pretty good weight loss.

Out of interest, did you also increase your exercise levels and/or cut down on drinking or anything else like that? Or was it literally just chocolate and snacks you cut out?

No more exercise then i do already ( Walking the dog ) i still have doughnuts and things like that . It was more the snacking i think eating when not hungry! Still have my full English fry up on a Sunday morning to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

Today - 12 stone 10.8Ib.

measurements and mirror always tell better story than the scales i would not worry about the numbers if you look and feel better
    Pretty much all of the above really ... I joined a Bootcamp ... So it was a complete mix of cardio... strength.. Body weighted exercise .. Also tyres kettle bells and core bag work ... (Which resulted in pictures 1-2) ... And basically cutting out the rubbish from my diet sugar sweets chocolate crisps ..... Then from 2-3 ... It's been more high protein based diet (so lots of chicken broccoli eggs etc protein shakes ) .... And the last stage I have just joined a gym so I can lift heavier than what we have at Bootcamp

Bear in mind I pretty started out working out at Bootcamp three times a weeks then as the trainer increased the sessions I did the extra session which equated me to working out 5 times a week (sometimes doing a double session ) so a lot of sweat has gone into getting where I am .... It's mainly diet now which will get me to where I want to be

thats good stuff. do you count macros to the tee?

im on high protein diet too but also low carb as they just stick on me. weights x3 a week and cardio x2-3,

think i may increase cardio by 1 more session to really cut for the summer.