Would you be a medical guinea pig for £2k?

londonitelondonite Posts: 1,291
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After reading an article in the metro this morning, i saw you can earn 2 grand if you offer to test new medicines

Anyone done this, anyone thinking of it......anyone got a link for it!!?

Would you do it or do you?

Comments

• epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I volunteered to do it for an eczema treatment when I was a student, but I was disqualified on medical grounds. I don't know if I'd do it now, as I'm older and a bit more risk averse.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No amount of money would persuade me to allow myself to be turned into a guinea pig. They don't have opposable thumbs and their eyesight is poor :)
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done trials back in my student days, but I always made sure that I understood the trials that I did. One was for those pills that block fat-absorption and the other was for a new eczema cream. There is no way that I would have taken part in those trials about ten years ago, that boosted the immune system to crazy levels, and resulted in peoples immune systems attacking healthy tissue.
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way. This thread brought back memories of those people who had a bad reaction to a drug. Think one had his feet or something amputated. Was in the newspapers years back
  • maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read up on what happened to those men- their white blood cells disappeared completely and they face a lifetime of contracting cancer, lupus and other awful diseases.For a few hundred pounds.
  • TominxsterTominxster Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read up on what happened to those men- their white blood cells disappeared completely and they face a lifetime of contracting cancer, lupus and other awful diseases.For a few hundred pounds.

Lupus. I have this as well as sjorgrens and epilepsy. I also have Brugada Syndrome and have an ICD implanted as well as antiphosphilipid syndrome.Wouldn't wish it on anyone, Just taken the day off work to go for another operation later today. (taken as holiday as I don't like to go off sick).
    Personally I wouldn't do it however as I would be scared I am very grateful to the people that have as Im sure that Ive benefited from some of these tests.
    The shame of it all is however is it tends to be people that are desperate for money and therefore if it does go wrong like the guys you have mentioned they are left with the consequences for the rest of their lives. Very sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member

Do you mind posting a link? Not sure what im searching for...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly enough, the number of volunteers for clinical trials went up after the Parexel disaster of 2006. People reading the massive press coverage appear to have thought - "Hello! I didn't know you could earn £2000 just for having a couple of injections!" - and missed the bit about one of them losing his fingers.