Options

the 90's -pre 2000's were the best times

neil_harwoodneil_harwood Posts: 44
Forum Member
We had good tv progams for kids and adults (too many to list) and no US trash tv or no trash talent shows

every one was out and about playing outdoors and talking with one another

life was simple before internet and social media-

stuff was reasonable and too expensive
everythign was made top qaulity with diecast metal and chrome
life was easier and enjoyable

what is your opionion on this

Comments

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    There has been a thread on this exact subject this morning?!

Why not contribute to that one?
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you must be about 20-25?
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In twenty years, we'll be saying now was the best time. It's just rose tinted spectagoggles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    There has been a thread on this exact subject this morning?!

Why not contribute to that one?

Maybe it's the same person creating a new idendiddee to agree with himself and make it look like a groundswell. ;)
  • Options
    McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. You could have declared me a posh tramp in them days.... I hardly saw home.

"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up"
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nineties? Yuk.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Am starting to think you should not be able to create posts until you have been a member for three months....
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Yup the 90s was fun when growing up, for me it all went down hill around 2004 ish and I lost enthusiasm for a lot of things. Rose tinted glasses indeed but theres no harm is reminiscing about the good times :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    In twenty years, we'll be saying now was the best time. It's just rose tinted spectagoggles.

I agree. Same with music.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had good tv progams for kids and adults (too many to list) and no US trash tv or no trash talent shows

every one was out and about playing outdoors and talking with one another

life was simple before internet and social media-

stuff was reasonable and too expensive
    everythign was made top qaulity with diecast metal and chrome
    life was easier and enjoyable

what is your opionion on this

My opinion is that you are getting older, welcome to manhood. Every generation says the same about the last. Your point about there not being any US trash on the tv is incorrect too, I remember quite a few trashy US tv shows in the 90's (Baywatch for eg), the same goes for talent shows: Stars In Their Eyes anyone.

The 90's are best forgotten for 2 reasons, New Labour and Noels House Party. :p
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite right.

But this is the first time I have heard anyone nostalgic for the 90s. The 90s!? Why?

Btw there was lots of American junk on tv. Didn't "friends" start here in the early 90s?

Some people have to be nostalgic for some era I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Just the two then? Never pegged you for a Spice Girls fan tysonstorm.
    But this is the first time I have heard anyone nostalgic for the 90s. The 90s!? Why?
    Check the calendar. It's getting around to the twenty year mark. Time for thirty- and fortysomethings to look back to their teens and twenties.

Funnily enough I can understand nineties nostalgia better than eighties nostalgia. It was a time of relative economic stability comparatively. The eighties was a bit of a cultural wasteland for me post Stock Aitken Waterman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Just the two then? Never pegged you for a Spice Girls fan tysonstorm.

They kept me warm on those cold, lonesome nights. ;):p

Well ok, maybe 3 reasons then. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They kept me warm on those cold, lonesome nights. ;):p

Well ok, maybe 3 reasons then. :p
    Those SpiceWorld posters were pretty combustible once chucked into braziers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite right.

Historically, there always seems to have been a roughly twenty year span for nostalgia... eg... Grease was huge in the late 70s, and was all about the late 50s; 'Hi de Hi' was a popular 1980 sitcom set in 1960... 1989 was called 'the second summer of love', afte the first one in 67, and there was a lot of late 60s imagery around then particularly with Madchester... a lot of 70s nostalgia came around in the early 90s, with Channel 4 having a big 'Glam Rock' weekend for instance... 80s acts like Human League and ABC started doing successful revival tours in the 2000s.

So I've been wondering when 90s nostalgia was going to start. It's been a while coming. 'The Ice Cream Girls' has been the first original, mainstream tv drama partly set in the 90s that I've been aware of. But when I started a thread on this a while ago, the general consensus was that life in the 90s wasn't that different from life today for nostalgia to be as much fun for people.

So the '20 Year Rule' has probably outlived its usefulness.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Historically, there always seems to have been a roughly twenty year span for nostalgia... eg... Grease was huge in the late 70s, and was all about the late 50s; 'Hi de Hi' was a popular 1980 sitcom set in 1960... 1989 was called 'the second summer of love', afte the first one in 67, and there was a lot of late 60s imagery around then particularly with Madchester... a lot of 70s nostalgia came around in the early 90s, with Channel 4 having a big 'Glam Rock' weekend for instance... 80s acts like Human League and ABC started doing successful revival tours in the 2000s.

So I've been wondering when 90s nostalgia was going to start. It's been a while coming. 'The Ice Cream Girls' has been the first original, mainstream tv drama partly set in the 90s that I've been aware of. But when I started a thread on this a while ago, the general consensus was that life in the 90s wasn't that different from life today for nostalgia to be as much fun for people.

Beautiful People and My Mad Fat Diary are two recent sitcoms that are set in the mid-90's. Couple that with the huge success of ITV2's Big Reunion feauting late 90's/ early 00's bands, it would seem we're in the midst of a mini 90's revival!
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As opposed to the 90's -post 2000?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Beautiful People and My Mad Fat Diary are two recent sitcoms that are set in the mid-90's. Couple that with the huge success of ITV2's Big Reunion feauting late 90's/ early 00's bands, it would seem we're in the midst of a mini 90's revival!

Yes, well I didn't see them, but people made me aware of them in the thread I started.

I was thinking about the Big Reunion stuff after I'd posted, so you're probably right, the 90s stuff is starting to filter through. But I don't think there's going to be any more big nostalgia waves after that... eg 'The Noughties' from 2020 onwards.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Those SpiceWorld posters were pretty combustible once chucked into braziers.

<reminisces about Spice Girls' braziers>
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion is that you are getting older, welcome to manhood. Every generation says the same about the last. Your point about there not being any US trash on the tv is incorrect too, I remember quite a few trashy US tv shows in the 90's (Baywatch for eg), the same goes for talent shows: Stars In Their Eyes anyone.

Yeah but the 80's were no better.

Maggie thatcher.
    Middle class people getting payed more.
    It was very cheesy.
    People losing the house.
    People out of work.
    The Falklands war.
    And most off all we lost are coal industry the bread and butter of this country.
    The pole tax was up.
    racism.

Sum it up the 80's was not all Duran Duran.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Yeah but the 80's were no better.

Maggie thatcher.
    Middle class people getting payed more.
    It was very cheesy.
    People losing the house.
    People out of work.
    The Falklands war.
    And most off all we lost are coal industry the bread and butter of this country.
    The pole tax was up.
    racism.

Sum it up the 80's was not all Duran Duran.

As an 80's child I agree. :D

I'd add awful music, terrible fashion, crap technology, yuppies.......
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member

I put the 20 year nostalgia rule down to those who where kids in the those decades getting into the media.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I agree. Same with music.

I disagree I'm 17 so hardly a 90's child and I can't stand the majority of music today.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an 80's child I agree. :D

I'd add awful music, terrible fashion, crap technology, yuppies.......

The Cure, Pet Shop Boys, INXS, Dire Staits, Billy Idol, Smiths, New Order, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, Stone Roses are crap to you???

bloody hell.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree I'm 17 so hardly a 90's child and I can't stand the majority of music today.

Music used to evolve with time , in recent years it appears to have gone backwards , badly .