Options

Plummeting quality of Levi jeans

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody else noticed this? I've seen stock in Oldrids which look like cheap fakes, but they're almost certainly the genuine article. My niece recently brought me some dusty black 501s back from the States, which were half the price you pay in this country, but still too much for what could easily be mistaken for an anonymous bargain basement brand. The material used to be noticeably thicker, with the inside being a lighter shade, which used to be displayed when you turned them up at the bottom of the legs. Now they're a shabby material that's the same all the way through and the stitching is dyed over and looks cheap.

I can honestly say that a similar, own-brand pair at £12 from George at Asda was superior in every way.

p.s. I wonder why it is that Levi jeans sold as "dusty black" in the UK are actually dark blue, whereas the US ones really are a faded black.

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new super skinnies are appalling. They're like a pair of Top Shop jeggings but with an £80 price tag
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't afford Levis but like black jeans. However I find it really hard to find them these days. I don't want grey (they'll turn that eventually of course) and I don't want china's, I don't want those horrible soft cotton ones and I don't want dark blue that looks like black in the shop and are suddenly blue after 2 washes. Grrrrrrr. >:(

I want them to be like they were in the 70s..... So stiff to start with they can stand up on their own. PROPER denim.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denim is not what is was that's for sure!
    I remember Levi Jeans being really hard wearing. They are not the quality product they used to be.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    I want them to be like they were in the 70s..... So stiff to start with they can stand up on their own. PROPER denim.
    They also used to make a hell of a noise when you walked in them. :D I'm not sure if that's a major selling point, but they're now of a worse quality than the Walrus jeans that we used to make fun of in the 1980s. The M&S Blue Harbour jeans are infinitely superior in quality, but unfortunately they're terribly tailored. Even the cheap Asda jeans are made of better quality material, but yet again, the fit is very hit and miss.

The dark blue "dusty black" jeans from Asos were definitely better quality material than the faded black ones from an official Levi store in America. I wouldn't mind so much if they sold for about £20, which is all they're really worth (at the most).
  • Options
    Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I can't afford Levis but like black jeans. However I find it really hard to find them these days. I don't want grey (they'll turn that eventually of course) and I don't want china's, I don't want those horrible soft cotton ones and I don't want dark blue that looks like black in the shop and are suddenly blue after 2 washes. Grrrrrrr. >:(

MH bought 3 pairs "Faded Glory" made in Mexico, black jeans in Wal-mart, in the US in June 2011 and they have lasted until this week, used almost daily and washed on a hot wash, if anyone knows if these are sold in the UK please let me know. TIA.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member

I had some Lois jeans in the early seventies, which I could probably still be wearing now (if I could get into them :( ) the quality was so good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    You can still buy new old stock Levi jeans, they will cost you though. Also look into the "deadstock" range, these are USA made, not quite as pricey as nos.
    Finally you can go vintage/used through various outlets. ( have a read of the link )

https://www.denimhunters.com/2012/04/levis1970s/

The modern Levi range is made in India & yes, it's garbage for the mass market thicko's. You're better of buying Iron Heart, Samurai etc.:cool: