Options

Video senders

Hello,

I'm looking for a video sender to use to send the signal from my cable STB to my PC's TV card, so that I can eliminate one of the numerous wires stretched across my lounge.

I've had a look around, and just about every model I have seen so far uses SCART (or sometimes RCA plugs) to connect to the equipment. This is fine for the cable box (a PACE DTV1000) but no good for the tuner card (an old WinTV PCI) as it doesn't have SCART or RCA sockets. However, it does have an S-Video socket.

Does anybody know of a Video Sender that has an S-Video output at the receiving end? It would also need to have SCART at the sending end, as my cable box doesn't have S-Video or RCA Video sockets. I'm not too worried about it being compatible with the ntl remote as I manage without this at the moment, although it would be handy.

Alternatively, if I could get one with both SCART and RCA connectors, could I use an RCA to S-Video converter cable? Or do they only convert the other way? But then I've not seen a model with both RCA and SCART either, just one or the other.

One last question :) I'm also considering getting a Wireless Router and network card for my Broadband to eliminate another cable. As I understand it most video senders use the same frequency range as wireless networking devices (2.4Ghz). Would there be any problems with interference between the two, or can they happily co-exist using different channels?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I can't think of a way of converting a compostie picture to an S-video one, someone may make the device, search on maplin.co.uk but i don't think there'd be much demand for one.

Re the old 2.4GHz, because of some electronic wizardry devices on the 2.4GHz band don't interfere. which is nice, when you have a bluetooth phone, wireless router, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, cordless DECT phone and digisender.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you just get a normal video sender with SCART sockets and then plug a different cable into it - SCART<->SCART at the cable box end and SCART -> SVHS+2xPhono at the other? You need the right sort of SCART->SVHS cable since those are directional or have a switch to change the direction.

A wireless router will use the same frequency range as the video sender - 2.4GHz - but you should be able to change the channel that both use so that they don't interfere with each other (too much). Partly this will also depend on what else you have that uses the 2.4GHz spectrum and also what your neighbours use too - there are only 13 channels and adjacent ones interfere with each other so I think you have to use ch1, 5, and 9 for example.