Russell Howard's Good News

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I agree with the last two posts. They get hung up on new internet clips that they run into the ground throughout the series. Usually some sort of animal expressing human like emotions.

He needs to stick to getting humour from topical material. I think the mustery guest and the standup should both be in the XL version and fill up the regular edition with the topical clips and jokes.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They get hung up on new internet clips that they run into the ground throughout the series.

Oh God yes - especially the current (and already boring) "liquid ass" bit.

I also hate how they have something early on, then repeat it several times during the show (like the old woman offering blow jobs).
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »

I also hate how they have something early on, then repeat it several times during the show (like the old woman offering blow jobs).

It's funny at first but then it gets boring. It still brings in the viewers but I think it'll bring even more in if he'd try to fix the flaws (like some people have mentioned).
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is starting to get like the TV Burp one did why can't people just enjoy it what is the British obsession with having to bring down a popular show.
    Forum Member
    It's not the viewers that bring it down. Or may be it is if most of them are happy to see a show go down hill and then finish.

Most of the posters here do like the show but think a few tweaks could make it better and help it run for longer.
  • BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    The last episode (9) was truly terrible. I didn't laugh once. In fact, I didn't even crack a smile. Russell himself is one of the least funny people on television. He has no wit or skill at humour, so it goes without saying that anything he says won't be funny (usually it's just an impression of an animal, or an imitation of a clip, or a funny voice saying a non-funny thing). The only thing worth seeing in Good News are the clips, but those are now of a low quality and becoming overused. Liquid Ass is getting so old now.

If you watch Good News Extra, it really makes it stand out just how unfunny Russell and the rest of the show is when you get a real comedian telling stand up.
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    This season has been very poor. I was especially gutted when the wonderful Norman Barrett was wheeled out as a "mystery guest" when everyone over the age of 40 (like me) would have recognised him instantly. He's even an MBE and "This Is Your Life" subject.

Whatever happened to Charlie Cairoli?
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He died in 1980. They put a statue of him in a Blackpool park and it keeps getting vandalised. Everyone told his son they should have it opposite the Tower, where his dad did his act, but he wouldn't listen.
    Forum Member
    It was a good shout having Brian Blessed on.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was especially gutted when the wonderful Norman Barrett was wheeled out as a "mystery guest" when everyone over the age of 40 (like me) would have recognised him instantly.
    To be fair the over 40s isn't really BBC3's target audience. :D
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »

There are moments which are very clever and funny, however, I cringe at all of the sexual jokes...they are in very poor taste. The silhouette sketch was the last straw for me the other week...I am not prudish, but just feel it is not needed and is cheep comedy.
    Forum Member
    I only noticed in the last episode that Kate Silverton has been removed from the title sequence
    Forum Member
    Interesting to see it being pushed back to 9pm.
    Forum Member
    notin wrote: »
    There are moments which are very clever and funny, however, I cringe at all of the sexual jokes...they are in very poor taste. The silhouette sketch was the last straw for me the other week...I am not prudish, but just feel it is not needed and is cheep comedy.

I hated that - it was just plain immature. I would like if more of his jokes were a bit more clever. Still, it's a ratings hit for BBC Three.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only noticed in the last episode that Kate Silverton has been removed from the title sequence

I think the Andrew Marr Effect has permeated.... although there is absolutely no truth to the rumour that Kate Silverton took out a superinjunction against the producers for referring to her lack of competence, and undermining her stature as a mere TV Autocue Reader. She became notorious for muffing her lines when reading the autocue during her habitual appearance on Matthew Wrights Programme on Channel 5.
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member

Wow. I always (genuinely) thought that was Sarah Palin.
    Forum Member
    DariaM wrote: »
    I think the Andrew Marr Effect has permeated.... although there is absolutely no truth to the rumour that Kate Silverton took out a superinjunction against the producers for referring to her lack of competence, and undermining her stature as a mere TV Autocue Reader. She became notorious for muffing her lines when reading the autocue during her habitual appearance on Matthew Wrights Programme on Channel 5.
    Just looked it up and she was on the titles for Ep9 but not for Ep10.

She was on the BBC news last week though.
    Forum Member
    I liked the most part of the show last night - I didn't like the fact they showed that 'silhouette' sketch again.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it a compilation show last night? Any new material?
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Was it a compilation show last night? Any new material?

I think it was just a compilation show - I don't seem to recall any unseen bits.
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually the last two eps in the series are compilation shows. Next week will be the stand-ups...I haven't seen any Extra editions, but if this crop were as bad as the last crop...avoid. Can't see how a man shouting, a guy with a record player with a big 'fro and some weird Australian woman are funny. If this is stand-up comedy....no wonder the world is a depressing place.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, won't bother seeking it out on iPlayer then.
    Forum Member
    Usually the last two eps in the series are compilation shows. Next week will be the stand-ups...I haven't seen any Extra editions, but if this crop were as bad as the last crop...avoid. Can't see how a man shouting, a guy with a record player with a big 'fro and some weird Australian woman are funny. If this is stand-up comedy....no wonder the world is a depressing place.

One of the guys the previous series was really good (Doc Brown) - thanks to Good News his material seems more popular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtK_vfp8po8
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a hole I didn't thought that this series was any good, yes the was some good funny bit but not as good as preview series.

do anyone think Russell will bring back that Chinese guy for next series or do u think that last we seen of him?
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    In a hole I didn't thought that this series was any good, yes the was some good funny bit but not as good as preview series.

do anyone think Russell will bring back that Chinese guy for next series or do u think that last we seen of him?
    God:eek:, is English your first language?, i hope not.