Best selling album's of all time - YOUR VOTE.

Comments

• Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Theshane wrote: »
    If you're going to pick the Spice Girls over Led Zep or Pink Floyd, for example, in a poll about best albums, then yeah, it does make them a little bit stupid. Or 5 years old. Or, less likely popped forward in time from 1996 and that's the only record they've ever heard.
    It's like preferring crayons to nicely framed piece of art.

^ This
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    That is such an ignorant view point what makes Led Zepplin any better to the spice girls is all down to subjectivity and opinion you may think that but someone else may not. It makes them neither stupid or imature but most certainly makes you narrow minded :cool:. And give me Crayola to Rembrandt any day ;)

No. Ignorant would be picking the Spice Girls over pretty much anything on that list and not being a small girl who considers Jaffa Cakes part of a controlled diet.

If you can't see, or hear, the difference between an album written produced and played by an act that has been consistently popular for nearly 45 years and a teeny girl band album with 5 singles and filler, where they turn up and perform (its a stretch to call what the Spice Girls did singing) with a team of producers helping, and struggle to sell records just over a decade after splitting, then you may need ear glasses.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I think it's fine if people prefer to listen to the Spice Girls or Britney Spears compared to Pink Floyd or Led Zep or whoever. If they've actually listened to them all and taken this view, fair enough.

What I do find it slightly strange is people posting on a music forum who apparently havent even listened to anything other than the Spice Girls/Britney Spears.

Each to their own though eh! :D
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    That is such an ignorant view point what makes Led Zepplin any better to the spice girls is all down to subjectivity and opinion you may think that but someone else may not. It makes them neither stupid or imature but most certainly makes you narrow minded :cool:. And give me Crayola to Rembrandt any day ;)

talent makes led zepplin far better than the spice girls, i am amazed that people are voting for the spice girls who cant sing very well, didnt write the songs and an album that is horrendously dated with 5 songs of filler and 5 singles that are bog standard 90's pop
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sour Grapes.

Spice is clearly not one of the best albums of all time but it is certainly one of the best pop albums of the last 20 years.

Every song on that album is cracking.

It's all too easy to come out with the usual 'no talent' 'no input' 'manufactured' 'all down to producers' ignorance.

Yes, these songs were good because of brilliant pop writers like Elliot Kennedy and Absolute but what made them great was the input and collaboration with the 'Girls.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Sour Grapes.

Spice is clearly not one of the best albums of all time but it is certainly one of the best pop albums of the last 20 years.

It's all too easy to come out with the usual 'no talent' 'no input' 'manufactured' 'all down to producers' ignorance.

Yes, these songs were good because of brilliant pop writers like Elliot Kennedy and Absolute but what made them great was the input and collaboration with the 'Girls.

its easy to come out with the no talent stuff because they didnt have any, they also had very few decent songs and most of these have aged incredibly badly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sour Grapes.

Nothing made anything the Spice Girls did 'great'. Apart from splitting up. The only thing with that was they all tried solo careers. The splintered like the contents of a nail bomb or the product of water on a Mogwai's back.

The only decent thing about the Spices was when TFI got Peter O'Toole to read out the lyrics to Wannabe. That was entertaining.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what? I have only heard bits and pieces of any of them. Never heard a whole album and I only have a few anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    its easy to come out with the no talent stuff because they didnt have any, they also had very few decent songs and most of these have aged incredibly badly

So badly that Judy Craymer's encore to Mamma Mia! Is a musical based on the songs of the Spice Girls...

Thousands of people are leaving the Piccadilly theater singing these very songs with huge smiles on their faces.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So badly that Judy Craymer's encore to Mamma Mia! Is a musical based on the songs of the Spice Girls...

Thousands of people are leaving the Piccadilly theater singing these very songs with huge smiles on their faces.

Different strokes for different folks.

Is this not the same musical that got dreadful reviews and is apparently struggling to sell tickets?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing made anything the Spice Girls did 'great'. Apart from splitting up. The only thing with that was they all tried solo careers. The splintered like the contents of a nail bomb or the product of water on a Mogwai's back.

The only decent thing about the Spices was when TFI got Peter O'Toole to read out the lyrics to Wannabe. That was entertaining.

Selling 75 million records...
    Some people clearly thought what they were doing was great!

As for the solo careers- Geri sold 12 million records on her own including four consecutive number 1s... X factor winners would kill to 'flop' like that.
    And Melanie C has sold 10 million records and is still releasing today.

All too easy to call their solo careers failures but I can't think of many (if any) other groups where every member went on to have at least one hit single... All of the 'Girls had at least one number 1 single aside from Easy V.... And she's not done too badly for herself elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this not the same musical that got dreadful reviews and is apparently struggling to sell tickets?

Dreadful reviews as expected. Dreadful reviews like Mamma Mia!, We Will Rock You and even Les Mis got on opening..

As for struggling, Viva Forever! Took almost $4 million in advance ticket sales.

It's true that ticket sales are slightly lower post Christmas but this is the case for all West End productions. It's what happens at this time of the year.

Viva Forever! Is doing incredibly well, absolutely no sign of trouble.... Yet.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Ignorant would be picking the Spice Girls over pretty much anything on that list and not being a small girl who considers Jaffa Cakes part of a controlled diet.

If you can't see, or hear, the difference between an album written produced and played by an act that has been consistently popular for nearly 45 years and a teeny girl band album with 5 singles and filler, where they turn up and perform (its a stretch to call what the Spice Girls did singing) with a team of producers helping, and struggle to sell records just over a decade after splitting, then you may need ear glasses.
    talent makes led zepplin far better than the spice girls, i am amazed that people are voting for the spice girls who cant sing very well, didnt write the songs and an album that is horrendously dated with 5 songs of filler and 5 singles that are bog standard 90's pop
    :rolleyes:Oh God, here we go.:yawn: The fact that Spice Girls & Britney Spears make the list in the first place negates these very silly posts...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for the solo careers- Geri sold 12 million records on her own including four consecutive number 1s... X factor winners would kill to 'flop' like that.

All too easy to call their solo careers failures but I can't think of many (if any) other groups where every member went on to have at least one hit single... All of the 'Girls had at least one number 1 single aside from Easy V.... And she's not done too badly for herself elsewhere.

No one said anything about their solo careers being failures or flopping.
    I implied that they were dreadful. Instead of having one shit group you have five shit acts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    :rolleyes:Oh God, here we go.:yawn: The fact that Spice Girls & Britney Spears make the list in the first place negates these very silly posts...

They might be on the list but you don't have to pick them, especially when you look at whats on there.
    Arsenic might be on a buffet but you wouldn't eat it would you?
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might be on the list but you don't have to pick them, especially when you look at whats on there.
    Arsenic might be on a buffet but you wouldn't eat it would you?
    Congratulations on your fatuous analogy - you must be really proud.:sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    No Queen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Congratulations on your fatuous analogy - you must be really proud.:sleep:

The content of a message on a forum is nothing to make oneself really proud. It takes a bit more than that.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voted for Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Led Zepplin are painful to listen to.

Utter pap.

Give me a good melody, a catchy hook and a bit of sheer pop star quality any day.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Led Zepplin are painful to listen to.

Utter pap.

Give me a good melody, a catchy hook and a bit of sheer pop star quality any day.

I don't like Led Zep at all either.

However, I do accept that they were a supremely talented band and were immensely influential.

So hardly "pap".
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The last 20 threads you started we're about the spice girl or geri - scary guy!
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes your opinion to some one else it may sound completely differenta nd shock horror actually like it. That doesn't mean they are stupid just have a differing opinion to yours. I agree with your point to me ther is no comparison but it doesn't make me any cleverer my tastes any better than someone who disagrees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Spice Girls & Led Zepplin were massively influential during their era. Led Zep lasted years longer so have the respect of critics and music fans alike. The Spice Girls had a few fights and called it quits during the biggest pop phonominem since the Beatles and therefore lost out on creating a long lasting impact which Lep Zepplin managed to sustain till this day.

Neither have a back catalog to be sniffed though so stopped comparing at respect others opinions.

Anyway am I the only one that is shocked that Bat Out Of Hell has NO votes. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is the TRUE winner won't actually win this pole. The majority of users here are from a certain generation.

Anyway, I voted for Shania Twain ... Believe it or not its a great album :)