Options

The Last of Us Story Thread - CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Can anybody lip read?

I'd really like to know what Joel says to Ellie in the cut scene where they are reunited after she kills David.

The sound cuts out and there are no subtitles but he's still speaking. I'm not sure if this is how ND meant it to be or if it's a bug.

You not suppose to hear anything :) I thought it worked well but i would guess he was just telling her she will be ok and he will look after her.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I hate to reference Call of Duty (a franchise i still like) when talking about story in games

But does anyone wish this had a type of dynamic story telling like Black Ops 2?

I mean in Black Ops, doing certain things changes the game slightly, you could accidentally burn a characters face and they'd joke about it in the next mission, simple stuff really

They could of included stuff like that in Last of Us, what if the part where its revealed Sam has been bitten and then Henry kills himself, changed depending on who the saved first when the runners jump on them during the sniping part, other stuff could be done as well that didn't affect the plot but would still change events
    Couldn't disagree with you more tbh! This is a story that is very well written, pretty much everything that happens has significance and resonance and any part of it being open to whimsical change depending on trivial details would be just awful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't disagree with you more tbh! This is a story that is very well written, pretty much everything that happens has significance and resonance and any part of it being open to whimsical change depending on trivial details would be just awful.

Oh don't get me wrong everything works and everything is amazing

But we can't forget this is a videogame not a movie and i have to question as great as it is, how many times is it going to be fun playing through the exact same thing in the exact same order

Some of my favorite games of all time, Final Fantasy IV, VII, X and the uncharted trilogy are in my opinion perfectly written but that doesn't stop parts of them from becoming boring after a few playthroughs

Dynamic storytelling in parts would off set some of that boredom without taking away from the overall product
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I'm on my second play through and watched out for this last night. It's funny :)

There's also a funny bit of banter between Joel and Ellie in the hotel if you stand behind the check-in desk.

I laughed at what Ellie was saying in the back of the car when she was looking at the magazines.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I laughed at what Ellie was saying in the back of the car when she was looking at the magazines.

I really liked ellie's jokes :o so much so, I went to the trouble of listening to them all, the bonus of a gold trophy had no influence on me ;)

I think ellie's dialogue is so typical teenage wise ass, they did a great job of her script.
  • Options
    TellyAddickTellyAddick Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong everything works and everything is amazing

But we can't forget this is a videogame not a movie and i have to question as great as it is, how many times is it going to be fun playing through the exact same thing in the exact same order

Some of my favorite games of all time, Final Fantasy IV, VII, X and the uncharted trilogy are in my opinion perfectly written but that doesn't stop parts of them from becoming boring after a few playthroughs

Dynamic storytelling in parts would off set some of that boredom without taking away from the overall product

I think it's just fine the way it is

If you want new stuff to play within the game just wait for the DLC to come out?
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished it.

Good game, but ending was a let down.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Finished it.

Good game, but ending was a let down.

What didn't you like about the ending? I've seen lot's of discussion about it. I liked it, it was bittersweet i'd say.
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    What didn't you like about the ending? I've seen lot's of discussion about it. I liked it, it was bittersweet i'd say.

The ending was fantastic.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think maybe the ending disappointed some people because they were expecting some sort of massive twist that never came.

Well, I mean, it was blatantly obvious that Ellie was going to have to be killed for them to get the cure - it's just classic storytelling, build the relationship and then tear it down. And of course Joel was never going to let Ellie die after what happened to his daughter.

Any other ending would not have fitted in with the rest of the tone of the story.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cliche is to have a super happy ending. I imagine a lot of people were expecting Naughty Dog to find a way to resolve the story by somehow finding a way to save humanity AND Ellie.

Of course, I for one am glad they didn't do that.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    The cliche is to have a super happy ending. I imagine a lot of people were expecting Naughty Dog to find a way to resolve the story by somehow finding a way to save humanity AND Ellie.

Of course, I for one am glad they didn't do that.

Agreed. The story is open for a second game now.

We had enough of 'all turned out well' with the Uncharted series, i think this ending is more plausible and suited to the story.
  • Options
    Purple-KiwisPurple-Kiwis Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished the game today. Terrifying and compelling, I really liked it! The clickers were so creepy, yet the scariest villain of the game was by far David, the whole sequence leading to his defeat was so wonderfully intense. I wasn't all that amused when the Fireflies ended up being evil but I guess it keeps up with the theme of the game, everybody is at war with each other.

Anyway, I want a sequel.
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished the game today. Terrifying and compelling, I really liked it! The clickers were so creepy, yet the scariest villain of the game was by far David, the whole sequence leading to his defeat was so wonderfully intense. I wasn't all that amused when the Fireflies ended up being evil but I guess it keeps up with the theme of the game, everybody is at war with each other.

Anyway, I want a sequel.

David was excellent, Winter as a whole was top notch for me, a real high point.

The Fire Flies aren't evil - they're doing their best to save mankind from an existential threat and a dystopian authority. Can that really be evil?

Could they let the one of the best chances for creating a vaccine for a plague which had decimated mankind on an entire planet slip, because it would mean the death of a 14 year old girl?
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    The ending we got was great fitting way to the whole game i mean it says what it says on the box... The Last of Us ;)
  • Options
    bob856bob856 Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    David was excellent, Winter as a whole was top notch for me, a real high point.

The Fire Flies aren't evil - they're doing their best to save mankind from an existential threat and a dystopian authority. Can that really be evil?

Could they let the one of the best chances for creating a vaccine for a plague which had decimated mankind on an entire planet slip, because it would mean the death of a 14 year old girl?

I think the writing was let down a bit at the end. To me the Fire Flies were some sort of fascistic organisation with an illusionary higher purpose - to find a cure (I think Ellie was the 13th victim they had used). I was happy to kill all of them including all the medical staff. They were just following orders, ok , then you die.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I finished it this morning. I loved the story especially the ending. I don't think it was as good as bioshock infinite but it's a close second.

There's an awful lot of wondering about with a few set pieces thrown in. Take away the great story and you're left with a fantastic looking game but I can't quite put my finger on it but it's missing "something"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an awful lot of wondering about with a few set pieces thrown in. Take away the great story and you're left with a fantastic looking game but I can't quite put my finger on it but it's missing "something"

For me it was the pervading sense of danger that is essential in a zombie game.

The clickers were fantastic enemies, but the game very clearly split itself into three - exploration, human combat, and zombie combat. And n'er the three should meet.

For me, that was perhaps the main thing that stops it from being the best title on PS3 (that's still Uncharted 2 or God Of War III for me). Whenever I was in an exploration section I knew that I could go into every room, I could explore every nook and cranny, and I'd never run into a clicker or an enemy. It just wasn't going to happen. That is a serious design flaw because in a game where ammo and resources are scarce, that should have been a consideration when thinking about whether you should go explore that old shop's top floor or not - and it never was.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    For me it was the pervading sense of danger that is essential in a zombie game.

The clickers were fantastic enemies, but the game very clearly split itself into three - exploration, human combat, and zombie combat. And n'er the three should meet.

For me, that was perhaps the main thing that stops it from being the best title on PS3 (that's still Uncharted 2 or God Of War III for me). Whenever I was in an exploration section I knew that I could go into every room, I could explore every nook and cranny, and I'd never run into a clicker or an enemy. It just wasn't going to happen. That is a serious design flaw because in a game where ammo and resources are scarce, that should have been a consideration when thinking about whether you should go explore that old shop's top floor or not - and it never was.

That's exactly it. I never worried about running out of ammo as the threat just wasn't there.
  • Options
    NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished this last week. Loved the game. I found the combat to be tense and brutal - getting stealth kills was really satisfying. The clickers and the runners were excellent enemies (the sound effects are amazing).
    Although the game was bleak and grim there were moments of lightness and humour in there. Usually these are dialogue exchanges between the main characters (ellie and bill were fun together, and the scene with ellie and Joel in the car with the smut mag was really funny).
    I found the whole story really moving. Watching Joels gradual shift in motivation as he grew to care for ellie was really well handled.
    The ending surprised me in how it played out - I was anticipating that Ellie would need to die to find the cure and that Joel would try to stop it. The more conventional ending would have been a heart-felt cutscene between the two of them where she sacrifices herself in essence.
    I like the fact that they went another way with it. Difficult to know how to feel about Joel at the end - but I have a great deal of empathy with his motivation as a father.

Best gameplay section for me was either the hotel or the subway section. Both really strong. Although I did enjoy working my through the university dormitories (I really thought those monkeys were going to rush me!)

Best cutscene - was either right after the fight with ellie and david. I loved how they handled that, really effective. Or the giraffes, which was really uplifting. The game did manage to throw in moments of real beauty to balance out the violence.

I am working through my new game plus and getting all the collectables/ trophies etc.

Has anyone tried survivor mode? Is it just the same difficulty as hard but without the listen mode?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob856 wrote: »
    I think the writing was let down a bit at the end. To me the Fire Flies were some sort of fascistic organisation with an illusionary higher purpose - to find a cure (I think Ellie was the 13th victim they had used). I was happy to kill all of them including all the medical staff. They were just following orders, ok , then you die.

I thought Ellie was the only person to have been immune though, that's why they were so excited. They had tried to get a vaccine by studying infected people (as in runners and clickers) and it didn't work. Ellie was different and they really believed this was finally going to work. I was quite torn at the end, I wanted to save Ellie and I'm glad Joel did in the end.

The Fireflies thought Ellie's death was for the greater good, they weren't 'bad' they were doing what they thought would save humanity. They wanted to resture the government and end Martial law, I didn't get a major 'cult' vide from them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's exactly it. I never worried about running out of ammo as the threat just wasn't there.

You should try Survivor mode, it's a lot different and i'm really enjoying it. I'm about halfway and I have hardly any supplies, it's so stingy. On normal, I didn't feel like I would run out, but now i'm torn between using a shiv on a door because I only have 1 left and it will be a long time before I get another. You have to be really careful with your supplies or your screwed.

It's a shame it's not available from the get go, because I get the impression that survivor mode is how the game is designed to be played. Though it would be really difficult for a first playthrough. Maybe that's why it's unlocked after completing it.
  • Options
    Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wonder when the DLC stuff will come out for this...
  • Options
    bob856bob856 Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I thought Ellie was the only person to have been immune though, that's why they were so excited. They had tried to get a vaccine by studying infected people (as in runners and clickers) and it didn't work. Ellie was different and they really believed this was finally going to work. I was quite torn at the end, I wanted to save Ellie and I'm glad Joel did in the end.

The Fireflies thought Ellie's death was for the greater good, they weren't 'bad' they were doing what they thought would save humanity. They wanted to resture the government and end Martial law, I didn't get a major 'cult' vide from them.

In the world of video games they may not have been a cult. In the real world the chances of them finding a cure after 20 years was obviously barmy. A nation state might have had a chance but not them. Given the quality of writing in the game I assumed that 20 years had turned them into purely terrorists willing to sacrifice anything for what they perceived as the greater good. Tommy had left the fireflies as dreamers and I think he had it right, generate electricity and build a town.

Having said that Joel thought of Ellie as his daughter by the end of the game and no parent would allow the sacrifice that the fireflies wanted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the thing was that Ellie's sacrifice would have been based on a theory - nothing more. They had no scientific proof that they could reverse engineer a vaccine from her fungal growth, nor any idea how said vaccine would work. I think Joel, aside from his paternal instincts, realised this, and that despite Ellie's willingness to actual go through with it, it wouldn't necessarily have been a success. The Fireflies weren't on the same sort of level of sophistication/mini-society as, for example, the survivors from I Am Legend.