Foxcatcher (Steve Carrell & Channing Tatum)

Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PypvNBTdxnY

Soo this is gonna be out over here in November, it looks awesome. A lot of talk going about that Steve Carrell & Channing Tatum will get oscar noms

Comments

• DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Carrell is a very good 'serious' actor. A lot of people look at him and only see The 40 Year Old Virgin or Brick Tamland, but I thought he was awesome in Seeking A Friend For The End of the World.

Looking forward to this.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Steve Carrell is a very good 'serious' actor. A lot of people look at him and only see The 40 Year Old Virgin or Brick Tamland, but I thought he was awesome in Seeking A Friend For The End of the World.

Looking forward to this.

co-sign

I haven't watched Seeking A Friend For The End of the World yet but it's on my list, I love Steve in Little Miss Sunshine
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Carell will definitely get an Oscar nod, Tatum won't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Carell will definitely get an Oscar nod, Tatum won't.

Personally I don't see that happening either but I haven't seen the film yet so I am intrigued
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't see that happening either but I haven't seen the film yet so I am intrigued

Carell has received rave reviews so far and critics have regarded his part as a career defining performance. I think he'll be nominated.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks very interesting, thanks.
  • MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this, it'll be nice to see both men in more dramatic roles. I've never seen Steve Carell in a drama before but in assuming he'll be great due to the reviews. Also I wouldn't look past Tatum, he is a summer blockbuster movie star but he has showed potential. Funnily enough I thought he was great in Magic Mike, which was alot more dramatic than I'd expected but I was really surprised by his performance, also he had good reviews for an indie film he did years ago when he was a newcomer with Robert Downey jr and Shia La Beouf , can't remember the films name.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member

I agree. Perhaps if the Weinsteins were pushing this, but they aren't
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    I agree. Perhaps if the Weinsteins were pushing this, but they aren't
    Well, not yet.

Foxcatcher has a 14th Nov release date in the US, which is well into Oscar season. So it could well be a contender for the Weinsteins.

Heard very good things about it, btw - fascinating source material, and some remarkable work by both Tatum and Carrell apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    new teaser trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE3O6jT78-Q

Channing Tatum looks awesome
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard Mark Ruffalo is meant to be terrific in this. But then he is terrific in pretty much everything, so...;)
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I've heard Mark Ruffalo is meant to be terrific in this. But then he is terrific in pretty much everything, so...;)

I haven't seen him in many roles before, but this year I've seen him in The Normal Heart and Begin Again and he impressed in both so I will be looking forward to seeing his performance in this too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8361stZ8n0w

Another trailer with new clips

Steve Carrell:o:o
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do keep hearing some oscar buzz for Mr Carell whose movies I never like but always found him to be a good actor

Channing Tatum as a potential oscar nominee makes me feel ill, like how i was when people were saying Ben Affleck was one for Gone girl. Two actors who never deserve to be associated for oscar nominated performances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do keep hearing some oscar buzz for Mr Carell whose movies I never like but always found him to be a good actor

Channing Tatum as a potential oscar nominee makes me feel ill, like how i was when people were saying Ben Affleck was one for Gone girl. Two actors who never deserve to be associated for oscar nominated performances.

If they put in a good enough performance though don't you think they would deserve the Oscar?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they put in a good enough performance though don't you think they would deserve the Oscar?

Mark Kermode said this week that Timothy Spall is better in Mr Turner than Carell is in Foxcatcher. There's also been some suggestion recently that Foxcatcher maybe too strange & downbeat for Oscar.

I'm looking forward to it a lot, mind.

Edit- it ain't out till 9th January in the UK.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You would think so, wouldn't you? But some people can't look past their own prejudices....

Anyway, this does look likely to at least secure a good number of oscar nominations, but my early hunch is this going to be another year they get spread around quite widely.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have said the same about Matthew McConaughey a few years ago.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Mark Kermode said this week that Timothy Spall is better in Mr Turner than Carell is in Foxcatcher. There's also been some suggestion recently that Foxcatcher maybe too strange & downbeat for Oscar.

I'm looking forward to it a lot, mind.

Edit- it ain't out till 9th January in the UK.

I'll definitely check it out!

Carrell is being talked up for a likely Best Actor Oscar nomination, and Timothy Spall could be another possibility.

Both are playing real-life people, and Academy voters always like that.:D
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safe to say this is a fantastic movie. Who'd have thought nearly 10 years after Tatum pirouetted onto our screens with his bumbling, awkward portrayal of a thuggish street dancer in Step Up, he'd be giving us the remarkable, personal performance he show cases here.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film. Steve Carrell deserved the Oscar nom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found the acting average

Channing tatum remains constipated from start to finish
    Steve gives the best performance but it's not what i class as high standard to be an oscar nominated performance
    While Mark Ruffalo, Sienna Miller and Vanessa Redgrave are simply forgettable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great film. Steve Carrell deserved the Oscar nom.

He can't be deserving of something he has yet to be given
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can't be deserving of something he has yet to be given

He'll get the nomination.