Options

So did River die before The Snowmen?

2»

Comments

• Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    But in the little scene where we see him about to take River to Darillium, he has his old tardis. (As Corwin has pointed out).

Last Night, was it called?

Maybe Moffat should have avoided that scene altogether, and left it to our imaginations. Or had River say "See you at Darillium next week" at the end of The Angels in Manhattan, so we'd know for sure.:D

I'm not sure I'm remembering it exactly, but we don't see the older Doctor's TARDIS directly, only know that River confused the two. Given that the minisode was written before the design change, I don't think we can read too much into that about the characters.

Besides, if you want to go down that route, River's sonic screwdriver is a modification of a screwdriver that doesn't exist any more either!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I'm remembering it exactly, but we don't see the older Doctor's TARDIS directly, only know that River confused the two. Given that the minisode was written before the design change, I don't think we can read too much into that about the characters.

Besides, if you want to go down that route, River's sonic screwdriver is a modification of a screwdriver that doesn't exist any more either!

I'll have to watch it again, if I can find it. As for the screwdriver, was it Ten's? Hurray, if so - it means they met again!

(I don't take much notice of the gadgetry:o)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll have to watch it again, if I can find it. As for the screwdriver, was it Ten's? Hurray, if so - it means they met again!

(I don't take much notice of the gadgetry:o)

Well, it was the same design, at least. But either way we can't judge much based on design decisions that hadn't been made when the episode in question was written. You have to allow from some artistic license.

Otherwise River would be suspicious that Eleven had given her a screwdriver based on a design that only past incarnations had used!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it was the same design, at least. But either way we can't judge much based on design decisions that hadn't been made when the episode in question was written. You have to allow from some artistic license.

Otherwise River would be suspicious that Eleven had given her a screwdriver based on a design that only past incarnations had used!

Yes, yes, I know all that...I'm trying to find definitive proof that River met Ten for my head canon! Don't complicate things by introducing real world facts! ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, yes, I know all that...I'm trying to find definitive proof that River met Ten for my head canon! Don't complicate things by introducing real world facts! ;):D

No worries - you don't have to invoke screwdrivers for that. Ten must have met River more than once, because otherwise she would have known the moment she saw him that it was too early for him to know her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that River has got a spotters' guide to the Doctor's faces in her diary some time after she's in the Suit at Lake Silencio - she tells the Doctor and her mum so at the Crash of the Byzantium, I reckon she has a good guide to the TARDIS desktop themes too.

So yes, the Doctor has already done Darillium before the Snowmen: I think he has to get it out of the way during his Farewell Tour of Series 6 (hide under skirts, spend time in a POW camp, dance with Stan and Ollie, visit Craig) since he couldn't risk the Paradox of not taking River to Darillium given she'd given that particular spoiler to his previous face.

As for screwdrivers, he trusted Amy and Rory with the later model.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    He didn't send her there but at some point she tells him that she's been hired to go to the Library.

When that happens the Doctor knows he has to give her the screwdriver and take her to the Singing Towers of Darillium.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. :D