Options

Programming over the BST changover

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
I'm about to go away for a few weeks and wanted to set up to record a few things eg Planet Earth. On last Saturday I used the program guide to set a recording of Planet Earth on the following day, and then edited this to a weekly schedule. On Monday morning I deleted the already watched it. I noticed then that the title in the recording schedule had changed from Planet Earth to News. When I looked in the program guide for this coming Sunday, it shows Planet Earth on at 20:00 instead of the normal 21:00, with the News following at 21:00.
I guess this is all related to the BST switch over.
What I need to know is - do I leave my schedule set to start at 21:00 and assume by then that the box will know that it is BST and will record Planet Earth at 21:00 and not News at 22:00 - which would really p*** me off :mad:
Thanks for any thoughts. :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Why not set it to record both? (PVRs (and Freeview!) have been notoriously bad at doing the GMT-BST thing in the past!). In fact I'd just set a manual recording for about 3 hours to capture everything around that time!

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow, have I had my humax that long??? I'm sure that something similar happened with going to GMT last year, compounded by the fact that the beeb had a hiccup and the video and PVR clocks didn't change. I can't remeber the outcome, but maybe search for previous posts...

Otherwise yes, record 3 hours!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Last time, the hiccup was not the humax's fault. The BBC forgot to broadcast the time change until several hours after they should have done. (See here for details.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Was it just the BBC I thought it affected all channels and was the responsibility of the DTG (or was that just the thing where there was clock fault for about 8 hours a couple of months back) ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:
    Was it just the BBC I thought it affected all channels and was the responsibility of the DTG (or was that just the thing where there was clock fault for about 8 hours a couple of months back) ?
    I thought the BBC was responsible for the time signals, but I could be wrong. Whoever was responsible, it took them until about 2pm to start broadcasting the correct time signal!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfmf wrote:
    I thought the BBC was responsible for the time signals, but I could be wrong. Whoever was responsible, it took them until about 2pm to start broadcasting the correct time signal!!!

you are correct it is the BBC that sends out a time signal, and during the switch to GMT it took quite some time for the signal to change.

I would tend to go for the three hour option to cover all eventualities, obviously this is no good if you want to record lots of overlapping programmes but it is the best option or you could mnually disable the auto adjust and alter the programmed recordigns yourself.

It is important to note the problem wasn't just with Humax units during the GMT change, it was with lots of other brands and systems as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AFAIR schedule time is in the time zone when the recording takes place - which is better for repeat/manual recordings but not automatic ones from the guide, which shows in the current time zone when looking at it.

You can manually set the time zone too if you want.