Options

Is it possible to transfer recordings to a handheld portable multimedia mp3 player?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
Forum Member
I recently went on holiday and was delayed at the airport for hours. I am due to go away again and i am strongly considering buying a handhelp multimedia MP3 video player or a handheld PSP video player / games console.

Does anybody know if it is possible to transfer humax video recordings to either of these handheld MP3 video machines?

If so, how is it done?

Do you have to transfer to PC then to MP3 / PSP?
Or can you transfer directly from the humax to the MP3 or PSP?

I am not a whizz kid on computers unfortunately but the thought of flying next to New Zealand = 24 hrs flight without some entertainment will drive me mad!

I would appreciate your help.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Most media players (certainly the video Ipod and the Sony PSP) use MPEG4 encoding and there are freely available tools that will take the output of a Humax (or any Freeview PVR) and convert to .mp4 after the usual TS to PES steps (ProjectX + Imago etc.)

I've taken streams from a Fusion, converted to .MPG as if I were going to make a DVD as usual but then have run this through MPEG->PSP conversion tools and watched it from a PSP memory card. A James Bond film (about 2 hours) converted to about 450MB which fitted nicely onto a 0.5GB memory card.

If it IS a PSP that you are converting for then read the PSP forum in the games section here on DS as there's been a lot of threads about video conversion where I've posted links ot the tools that worked for me.

Cliff

PS Just to avoid confusion I hope you understand that this has nothing to do with MP3 which is an audio compresion format. What you are trying to do here is take the Humax video (in MPEG2 transport stream format) and get it into MPEG4 (aka H.264 aka AVC) video format and it can only be used on a machine that has VIDEO playback (obviously!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Buy an ipod video!, The resulting file when transfered from the humax is a native mpeg.ts stream, which you then have to convert to a readable mpeg file ( i use hdtv to mpeg) then you will have to convert to another format for your portable media device player (in ipods case mp4).

i am buy no means an expert but your better off buying something like the ipod video, i personally have one and would not be without it, especially on a long journey. With so much content on the newsgroups ready converted to ipod video standard (and the psp for that matter) you can't lose here. :p