Options

I plan to spend up to £40 on a dvd player with the following features....

Multi region.
Good picture in zoom facility.
crisp picture on DVD-R.
Ergonomical handset.

I currently have a cheapo Pacific 1001 dvd player and fancy an upgrade.

Sorry my technical jargon isn't the best ! :o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you. Thanks for letting us know.
  • Options
    kenny brockellykenny brockelly Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any recommendations rather than smart arse comments?
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Note the name. Says it all!!!

Seriously though, I think you would be better off spending about £60-70 on the Toshiba SD-360, which will upscale normal DVD's to near HD via its HDMI output. This will to some extent 'future-proof' you for when (if) you get a new TV set which accepts HDMI. The lowest I've seen it advertised is £59.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote:
    Seriously though, I think you would be better off spending about £60-70 on the Toshiba SD-360, which will upscale normal DVD's to near HD via its HDMI output. This will to some extent 'future-proof' you for when (if) you get a new TV set which accepts HDMI. The lowest I've seen it advertised is £59.
    Be very careful that you don't read too much into the hipe regarding what these cheap upscaling players are advertised as being able to do with SD discs. Yes they will upscale but the quality is nowhere near HD quality. You would probably see no difference between the upscaled image via the player to the image via it's scart connection and upscaled via the display to it's native resolution.

You really need to be looking at the top end players for good quality scaling, but as HD DVD players are much cheaper, approx £330, there really isn't any point in paying over the odds, especially when the real thing will most probably out class even the dearest upscaler.

kenny brockelly - What display are you using?

Is it a standard display or HD ready?
  • Options
    kenny brockellykenny brockelly Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, it's just a standard display. I'm not really looking for anything fancy. I just want something with good picture quality.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, it's just a standard display. I'm not really looking for anything fancy. I just want something with good picture quality.
    To be perfectly honest, I don't think upgrading from the Pacific to a £40 player will reward you with any improvement(s) in picture quality.

The only way to improve the picture quality will be to add a fair bit more to your budget I'm afraid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

how about a samsung blu ray..
    £999.00 in comet i think, you should notice the difference then