Doc Martin (Part 13 — Spoilers)

Comments

• dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »
    I have to disagree acmac. The DM writers are not avoiding any issues, all the little hints are there. It's de rigueur to have characters in today's TV shows jumping into bed (metaphorically - usually a bed is the one thing definitely not required;);)) at any and every opportunity, so much so that if it's not there we complain, but IMO it's predictable and lazy writing and is there to titillate the viewers rather than for any dramatic effect. The understatement in DM is much more effective - just look how much discussion, not to mention fan-fic, it generates:):) The best drama stimulates the imagination - if you want to have everything laid on a plate, then try virtually any other UK offering.

In the first few episodes we saw them a lot in the bedroom, and I always felt there was a strong sense of intimacy in those scenes. I think it's interesting that Eleanor came into their bedroom, and sort of invaded their sanctuary. I think it's clear that he likes having Louisa in his bed, and she and his son are the light of his life. Once she is gone, he realizes how much he misses her and that not even performing surgery can top the joy he feels when he is alone with her there. I love how he speeds up to Ruth's house to get rid of the dog after it interrupts them. The writers purposefully bring us in on the middle of conversations in the bedroom, and I believe they imply that there is a closeness the two of them feel towards each other there. Series 5 is the first time we've seen this much of the Doc's private life, he's more vulnerable to his feelings when he doesn't have his suit on. I think they will imply love making in series 6, but I don't think they will make it explicit. But just because it wasn't explicit in series 5 doesn't mean that some affection, closeness and intimacy were not happening given the tone of the bedroom scenes. IMO, of course.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    In the first few episodes we saw them a lot in the bedroom, and I always felt there was a strong sense of intimacy in those scenes. I think it's interesting that Eleanor came into their bedroom, and sort of invaded their sanctuary. I think it's clear that he likes having Louisa in his bed, and she and his son are the light of his life. Once she is gone, he realizes how much he misses her and that not even performing surgery can top the joy he feels when he is alone with her there. I love how he speeds up to Ruth's house to get rid of the dog after it interrupts them. The writers purposefully bring us in on the middle of conversations in the bedroom, and I believe they imply that there is a closeness the two of them feel towards each other there. Series 5 is the first time we've seen this much of the Doc's private life, he's more vulnerable to his feelings when he doesn't have his suit on. I think they will imply love making in series 6, but I don't think they will make it explicit. But just because it wasn't explicit in series 5 doesn't mean that some affection, closeness and intimacy were not happening given the tone of the bedroom scenes. IMO, of course.

Certainly they feel close to each other. I would even add "trust" to the feelings you mention, which is very evident in the early episodes.

And I too love how quickly he got rid of the dog:)

And following on to SimplyRed's comments about explicitness versus implied -- yes, having now plowed through the first of the very popular trilogy with so many copies in public libraries (why?) I agree with her!

However, I still think that certain boundaries continued to be maintained between them.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I tend to think that his exchanges with LG have at least the hint of "bantering" between them, and I must say, to some degree, he was able to take that tone with Edith. I know we all love to hate BT, but I think he had an affection and respect for her that enabled him to let down his guard with her in this way. But I think those "bantering" exchanges -- or those that verge on that -- have a different character than the mordant putdowns he sometimes uses on his patients or other characters.

Two things -- the character clearly has a biting wit -- as I suspect MC does -- and keeps it hidden most of the time. Another indicator of how tightly held his character is.

Also, somehow this discussion reminds me of how like a fish out of water he is in PortWenn, where except for LG and perhaps Roger Fenn, he has no one to show that side of himself, whereas I think that that syle of interacting -- would be very common in the circles he would travel in London and he would be good at it.

i don't know how I got myself to this point, but I have always found it significant, and a little sad, that the most congenial conversation he seems to have had throughout the entire series, is with the looney ranger. You can just see DM relax, and think, yes, this is someone I can talk to, who understands just how I feel about PortWenn and the villagers etc., etc., at least until the topic of Anthony comes up!

When Martin saw his first patient at the surgery he said something like: "Collect a thousand loyalty points and you receive a free coffin." I thought this was the way the show would go with the Doc making funny quips to patients and villagers, but that ended in season 1. Too bad as he is such an intelligent man and they usually are quite witty.

Regarding New Park's comments on London. During the one brief scene when Martin is in London, he seems very different. Walking to the tube and then down the stairs to the underground, he seems almost jaunty, unlike his stiff walk -- particularly noticeable when he scrambled away from Louisa's cottage. At Imperial Hospital the other surgeon banters with him, and although he says little, he responds appropriately.

He also seems oddly more at ease with Edith, who he just ran into after many years at Truro Hospital, than Louisa, who he has known for (presumably) a few years. He and Edith seem more like old pals than old lovers. I think they probably had a much more easy relationship because they were on the same "wave length" professionally and intellectually.

Maybe in Season 6 the writers will re-introduce wit and humor to the show and this will be the way to reconcile Louisa and Martin's future. I for one hope so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I tend to think that his exchanges with LG have at least the hint of "bantering" between them ... But I think those "bantering" exchanges -- or those that verge on that -- have a different character than the mordant putdowns he sometimes uses on his patients or other characters.

Two things -- the character clearly has a biting wit -- as I suspect MC does -- and keeps it hidden most of the time. Another indicator of how tightly held his character is.

Also, somehow this discussion reminds me of how like a fish out of water he is in PortWenn, where except for LG and perhaps Roger Fenn, he has no one to show that side of himself, whereas I think that that syle of interacting -- would be very common in the circles he would travel in London and he would be good at it.

i don't know how I got myself to this point, but I have always found it significant, and a little sad, that the most congenial conversation he seems to have had throughout the entire series, is with the looney ranger. You can just see DM relax, and think, yes, this is someone I can talk to, who understands just how I feel about PortWenn and the villagers etc., etc., at least until the topic of Anthony comes up!

Yeah, I think what bookfan2 and I were originally talking about were those "bantering"-type exchanges, or what I called "friendly-humorous" lines. Obviously there are endless examples of Doc saying funny things (it's one of the foundational elements of the show -- at least until S5). But most of the time they are sorta mean-spirited. We were looking for examples of DM making jokes with someone, not at someone, and noticing that Louisa and Fenn are pretty much the only ones he does that with.

Interesting point about his appreciation of Stewart's PW-mockery and his assumption that his wit would be lost on the PWers. If he feels "constricted" by that assumption, then yet again DM is being his own worst enemy, because I think he's selling the villagers short; I think many of them would jump right in to a bit of banter with the Doc, if only he'd let them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    somewhere in S3, there is a cute little scene where DM shows up in LG's schoolroom to report on something or another WRT some illness of one of the children (I think.) He is sitting at a desk, and she says to him with a smile -- "but you didn't have to come see me just to say that" --or WTTE -- and he just smiles at her nicely, acknowledging that he wanted to see her. Unfortunately, just then one of the kids pukes (the Oakwood kid, I think.) So much potential there, folks! :D
    Forum Member
    simplyred wrote: »
    I have to disagree acmac. The DM writers are not avoiding any issues, all the little hints are there. It's de rigueur to have characters in today's TV shows jumping into bed (metaphorically - usually a bed is the one thing definitely not required;);)) at any and every opportunity, so much so that if it's not there we complain, but IMO it's predictable and lazy writing and is there to titillate the viewers rather than for any dramatic effect. The understatement in DM is much more effective - just look how much discussion, not to mention fan-fic, it generates:):) The best drama stimulates the imagination - if you want to have everything laid on a plate, then try virtually any other UK offering.

I don't want everything laid on a plate; just a few "hints" involving actual physical affection. The only affectionate touching there is (the "I bought a fish" scene and the cheek-kiss goodbye in the kitchen) are instead (to my eye) presented as anomalies, with the camera lingering on the recipient for a "reaction shot" of surprise. There was less physical contact in S5 than in the first three seasons. So, I think they were cohabiting, co-sleeping, and planning to move to London together without having really re-established their couplehood. Weird, yes, but slightly less weird (for me, anyway) than the alternative. :)
    Forum Member
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    I recognize Edith for what she was -- a plot device that the writers used in order to construct and then tear down the road block to a reunion. She gave us the backstory we needed -- yes, Martin had had a relationship before, yes, he had been abandoned once again. He wrote poetry -- yet another side of him that we didn't know. In fact, at times, they wrote Edith almost over-the-top as the anti-Louisa.

I think Martin definitely respected Edith, but I don't think there was so much affection as a memory of that time in his life. He flirts with the idea of a relationship with her and then firmly rejects it when they are in the hotel. I think he is flattered and reassured that a woman can want him -- especially one that had previously rejected him. The classic boy-girl syndrome I recognize as the "I may not want you, but I sure am happy you want me."
    :)

I guess I'm in the minority, because I absolutely adored Edith. She was probably my favorite part of S4 (until that incredible moment when DM holds the baby for the first time). I think she has some of the best lines of the series, and Lia Williams and MC have a really nice chemistry (I kinda want them to do a show together). It was a relief to watch DM interact with someone who takes his personality in stride. You can see how they'd be a good match in a lot of ways, and yet your loyalty to Louisa never wavers. And neither does Martin's, bless, which to me is the crux of the arc: Martin is presented with a woman who unequivocally wants him, someone with whom he has a history, who he loved once, a fellow doctor who understands him and wants for him the same things he wants for himself. She is the logical choice in every respect. But he loves Louisa. Le sigh. :)

Well done, Show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hemophilia is a magnificent show (but then, which episode isn't?)

I did think it was lovely of LG going in to stand up against Adrian Pitts, but her "warning" to him was SO lame, I was really disappointed in what she said. I thought the writers could have made this sort of non-confrontational woman (except with Martin!) say something a little more "in your face" than, "If you speak badly about Martin, I'll come looking for you." (paraphrase) Who's LG to Adrian? Why would he care, if she comes after him?

The fact that he seems chagrined was more to the director's desire than what I think really in life would occur. I don't think that someone like Adrian would feel that put back by LG's fairly mild threat. I wish it was a lot stronger. I wish, for example, she would have pushed him out of the hospital, like in about 40 minutes she's pushing DM out of the taxi! :)

IMO

I think where Louisa scored over Adrian Pitts was that she took him down a peg or two ( a whole row of them ) in front of his students who had already heard of Martin Ellingham by repute and AP was hanging onto DM's coat-tails and Louisa storms in and bursts his bubble.

Real ' Stand by your man ' time...Move over Tammy Wynette
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the audience was meant to like Edith despite the fact that she was DM's professional and intellectual equal. She was all up in Louisa's business - asking why she came back to PW and when she had sex with Dr. Ellingham. She was all up in Martin's business - talking to the surgeons in London about him and talking to the therapist about him. She was a bossy busybody. If he had stayed with her she would have wanted to lead him around by his nose and try to run his life for him. I think he must have realized that. Louisa is not going to tell him what to do. Her personality is not that way so he is forced to come to decisions on his own with her regarding their relationship and future together. If they stay together it will be an equal partnership where both of them have to contribute to making it work. A relationship with Edith would allow him to remain passive and would enable that side of him that doesn't want to make decisions. It would make for very boring television.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    somewhere in S3, there is a cute little scene where DM shows up in LG's schoolroom to report on something or another WRT some illness of one of the children (I think.) He is sitting at a desk, and she says to him with a smile -- "but you didn't have to come see me just to say that" --or WTTE -- and he just smiles at her nicely, acknowledging that he wanted to see her. Unfortunately, just then one of the kids pukes (the Oakwood kid, I think.) So much potential there, folks! :D

Yes NewPark, that was a nice moment for them - as usual, interrupted by the fine citizens of Portwenn.

DM did make a little joke in S5 when he was dealing with the floor licking boy (he's called "Adam":D) When Louisa tells him that the children in the school are very well behaved, mostly, he responds with, "Mmm. Where do you keep those ones?"

I was re-watching S5E7 the other day and was again taken with the scene when the Doc was treating the Cat Lady while Bert, Al and Joe were arguing around the corner with the loan sharks. While he was gently (gently!) wiping the blood off her face he told her that she wouldn't fall so much if she bought new glasses. He used his "Louisa" voice on the lady who rescues cats! Even while he was telling her that a little soap wouldn't go amiss. And he continued in that vein when Joe came to question her and DM told him that it wasn't a good time. It was only as he went to leave that he looked at her with his patented scowl. I think he realized all of a sudden who he had been being so nice to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    acmac wrote: »
    Yeah, I think what bookfan2 and I were originally talking about were those "bantering"-type exchanges, or what I called "friendly-humorous" lines. Obviously there are endless examples of Doc saying funny things (it's one of the foundational elements of the show -- at least until S5). But most of the time they are sorta mean-spirited. We were looking for examples of DM making jokes with someone, not at someone, and noticing that Louisa and Fenn are pretty much the only ones he does that with.

Yes acmac that's exactly what I meant. It's a flirtatious teasing that is appreciated by both parties. Martin's wit and snide remarks can be biting and rude. But these interchanges were meant to engage Louisa, not turn her off.

It does occur to me that some of the rude remarks he makes to Louisa are a product of his social awkwardness, that he doesn't know how to fill a silence so he falls back on medical commentary. I'm thinking about the moment after he reveals James Henry's name to Louisa, he's so very pleased that she is so happy. You see that crooked little smile and he of course ruins it with advising her how to hold the baby. Clearly he knows she knows how to do it, but he doesn't know what to do with a compliment or a sincere thank you, and feels the need to fill the void.

As long as we're thinking of Martin's humor, we see fairly often the small, crooked smile he gives when he's happy, usually in response to Louisa, but also to Aunt Joan and Aunt Ruth. It's there right after he holds the baby for the first time. A tiny glimmer of a smile.

Are there any full out smiles/grins -- or is that totally out of character? Even in Season Three when she accepts his proposal, we don't see a smile, we just see a face of immense relief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes acmac that's exactly what I meant. It's a flirtatious teasing that is appreciated by both parties. Martin's wit and snide remarks can be biting and rude. But these interchanges were meant to engage Louisa, not turn her off.

It does occur to me that some of the rude remarks he makes to Louisa are a product of his social awkwardness, that he doesn't know how to fill a silence so he falls back on medical commentary. I'm thinking about the moment after he reveals James Henry's name to Louisa, he's so very pleased that she is so happy. You see that crooked little smile and he of course ruins it with advising her how to hold the baby. Clearly he knows she knows how to do it, but he doesn't know what to do with a compliment or a sincere thank you, and feels the need to fill the void.

As long as we're thinking of Martin's humor, we see fairly often the small, crooked smile he gives when he's happy, usually in response to Louisa, but also to Aunt Joan and Aunt Ruth. It's there right after he holds the baby for the first time. A tiny glimmer of a smile.

Are there any full out smiles/grins -- or is that totally out of character? Even in Season Three when she accepts his proposal, we don't see a smile, we just see a face of immense relief.

Some have remarked that as they are walking down from the castle, as the camera shot gets longer and longer, he turns to her and smiles as he is lifting her arm (to help her on the path). I think I can see that, but it's so fleeting.....

One of the larger smiles I remember is in the very first scene of E1 where he is watching Ross' car sink into the harbor. That was almost full-on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the US version of the DM season 5 DVD published VT Acorn Media. It has all eight episodes, the full KCET behind the scenes interview series and a cast filmography section. It also has an extensive advert of British tv DVDs available from Acorn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    Two of my favs:

Roger: I have to come see you.
    DM: I'll try to squeeze you in. (after everyone in the village has canceled their appts)

After diagnosing Peter Cronk before LG's interview:
    Peter: Am i going to die?
    DM: Yes. Not soon enough, though.

S1 E1: Bert tells DM two people knew each other in the biblical sense. DM said, "She gave birth to him in a stable?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At Joe's birthday party at the Wilson Hotel in S3, as LG is leaving after inviting him to the concert, he gives us (her) a nice,full-on smile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »
    I have just returned from a trip to Great Britain which included a visit to Port Isaac. It was quite exciting to see the place and to try and recognize the various spots used for filming. My visit to the village was on a cold, drizzly and windy weekday in mid-May. Even so, the village was fairly crowded with sightseers. Midsummer will be much worse, I imagine. I was struck by how small the harbour area was in reality. There were boats on trailers parked in most of the concrete area above the harbour itself and the feeling was quite cramped. I can only guess they use wide angle lenses for filming in the area. The path up to the “surgery”was thronging with pedestrians, many of them (including me) getting themselves photographed in front of it.

I did drive down to the harbour area but it is pretty much a single lane from above the school and mid-day there are delivery trucks stopped at various points. However there is no parking allowed (except for residents) and so I had to drive back (and even turning around was not easy) out to a fairly spacious public (pay) lot over the top of the hill facing the ocean. (It is easy to see on Google Maps or Earth). It was about 90% full when I was there so it must be jammed in summer. The walk down the hill is about a quarter or third of a mile. One of the routes is the cliff walk where LG and her mother walked with the baby carriage. (There is another parking lot near the entrance to the village, but it is probably a mile from the harbour.) Three roads lead to the village, but the most westerly one (which leads up to the barn used as a studio) is extremely narrow and single track and is posted as “not recommended” (or something like that). The main road, B3267, is nominally two lane–each lane is extremely narrow and occasionally too narrow to pass and it has no shoulder or verges. It comes in from the top (south) of the main village. Finally one can approach it from Port Gaverne, also a single lane road but fairly manageable. (Many of the roads in the area are single lane with passing areas but are difficult without some experience and a clear sense of the width of one’s car–fairly tricky to judge for a North American driving a British car with its steering wheel on the right side.)

The surgery is easy to spot as is the “school” (now a hotel and restaurant) and, of course, the harbor itself. But some of the scenes which should have been obvious were not. I couldn’t find the “curb” over which Penhale drove and hung up his car after he was accidentally blinded–I think it was temporarilly "added" to the paved area of the harbour. LG sits out on a balcony at the pub on several occasions, but the only structure with a balcony overlooking the harbour is the Golden Lion Pub but it doesn’t look much like what I remember in DM–but it was closed that day and I was inside only for a couple of minutes. White Rose Cottage has had its name painted out but it is easy to spot just uphill from the "school"--and can be rented out by the week as a “self-catering” cottage. It is on the web. I could see in the window and it looks just like it appears in DM.

The surrounding area is very scenic. One can drive to Port Quin and the National Trust (which owns the “castle”) has a parking lot at the end of the cove. (It is also a one lane with passing places road.) The castle is a fair hike away and I don’t know how close one is allowed to get. (But, for a very high price, one can rent it for a week from the National Trust–see the website. There are lots of Bed & Breakfast and other accommodations around but since it is a very popular area, they tend to be pricy. (Padstow, nearby, is a major tourist attraction with several very good--and pricy--restaurants.) My wife and I stayed in an extremely good one (actually the best B&B in which I’ve ever stayed in the UK and I probably been in over a hundred of them over the years) near St. Endellion but it was £95 a night and it might be more in mid-summer. (I could see the upper part of the "castle" at Port Quin from our room--but I needed field glasses to see it in detail.) There is also a B&B at the top of the hill above the surgery but it must be hell to drive up to it and if one is using a car during the day, it would be very time consuming to go back and forth. There are also some B&Bs in the main part of the village (which is up on the top of the hill) and the “school” is in reality a hotel (with parking and not too hard to drive to once one is in the village).

I enjoyed my visit–I could have used more time I suppose but I’m now going to have to re-watch all of the episodes to see if I can match what I saw to what is on the disc.

Thanks so much for the info. It's all good to know. The narrow roads sound a little worrisome. If we end up in a bog on the moor after being run off the road by a truck maybe Mark Mylow will rescue us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    At Joe's birthday party at the Wilson Hotel in S3, as LG is leaving after inviting him to the concert, he gives us (her) a nice,full-on smile.

I think he smiles when he sees AJ the first time in S1.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acmac wrote: »
    I can think of a few more, and you're right, they are almost all all to Louisa.

Also re: Danny, DM quips that "maybe you're waiting for a sign from on high" about whether or not to marry him (Louisa counters with, "Now you're being horrible").

In S1E1, DM makes a sort-of joke about "the local primary school teacher, who is... a pirate, apparently". Later in the season Louisa jokes that it may soon be safe to admit to other villagers that she was on the committee that hired DM, and he says "Oh, I wouldn't break cover just yet."

The only other friendly-humorous exchanges I can think of (as opposed to the mocking/rude/sarcastic lines that are funny to us, but not to the recipients) are with Roger Fenn -- the "not like you'll be able to tell anyone, is it" line, etc.

Interesting topic! DM obviously has some difficulty understanding humor (more and more so as the series progress) but he's not completely lacking.

DM is funny in other situations aside from with LG. One of the top of my head is when he treats the cat lady in S5E7 who had a fall at Bert's restaurant. He find the injury less than compelling and is walking away when she mumbles something unkind about him, and still walking away he says "I heard that". It's maybe not a "joke" but it is a deliberately humorous line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    Two of my favs:

Roger: I have to come see you.
    DM: I'll try to squeeze you in. (after everyone in the village has canceled their appts)

After diagnosing Peter Cronk before LG's interview:
    Peter: Am i going to die?
    DM: Yes. Not soon enough, though.

Also, that ep whereby at the ending scene the two girls run to DM to say that their friend with the mole cut it off herself and is now bleeding a great deal. DM turns to walk into his Surgery to get his medical bag and behind him the gals ask "Is she going to die?" and DM answers "Yes." (and you can see the two girls reaction) and then adds "But not today."

Well, it makes me LOL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, all, for the positive comments about my story. We all write them for the love of the show and the joy of creativity, but it's sure great to see that others like them! You all really made my day! Thanks, again! :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »
    I have just returned from a trip to Great Britain which included a visit to Port Isaac. It was quite exciting to see the place and to try and recognize the various spots used for filming. My visit to the village was on a cold, drizzly and windy weekday in mid-May. Even so, the village was fairly crowded with sightseers. Midsummer will be much worse, I imagine. I was struck by how small the harbour area was in reality. There were boats on trailers parked in most of the concrete area above the harbour itself and the feeling was quite cramped. I can only guess they use wide angle lenses for filming in the area. The path up to the “surgery”was thronging with pedestrians, many of them (including me) getting themselves photographed in front of it.

I did drive down to the harbour area but it is pretty much a single lane from above the school and mid-day there are delivery trucks stopped at various points. However there is no parking allowed (except for residents) and so I had to drive back (and even turning around was not easy) out to a fairly spacious public (pay) lot over the top of the hill facing the ocean. (It is easy to see on Google Maps or Earth). It was about 90% full when I was there so it must be jammed in summer. The walk down the hill is about a quarter or third of a mile. One of the routes is the cliff walk where LG and her mother walked with the baby carriage. (There is another parking lot near the entrance to the village, but it is probably a mile from the harbour.) Three roads lead to the village, but the most westerly one (which leads up to the barn used as a studio) is extremely narrow and single track and is posted as “not recommended” (or something like that). The main road, B3267, is nominally two lane–each lane is extremely narrow and occasionally too narrow to pass and it has no shoulder or verges. It comes in from the top (south) of the main village. Finally one can approach it from Port Gaverne, also a single lane road but fairly manageable. (Many of the roads in the area are single lane with passing areas but are difficult without some experience and a clear sense of the width of one’s car–fairly tricky to judge for a North American driving a British car with its steering wheel on the right side.)

The surgery is easy to spot as is the “school” (now a hotel and restaurant) and, of course, the harbor itself. But some of the scenes which should have been obvious were not. I couldn’t find the “curb” over which Penhale drove and hung up his car after he was accidentally blinded–I think it was temporarilly "added" to the paved area of the harbour. LG sits out on a balcony at the pub on several occasions, but the only structure with a balcony overlooking the harbour is the Golden Lion Pub but it doesn’t look much like what I remember in DM–but it was closed that day and I was inside only for a couple of minutes. White Rose Cottage has had its name painted out but it is easy to spot just uphill from the "school"--and can be rented out by the week as a “self-catering” cottage. It is on the web. I could see in the window and it looks just like it appears in DM.

The surrounding area is very scenic. One can drive to Port Quin and the National Trust (which owns the “castle”) has a parking lot at the end of the cove. (It is also a one lane with passing places road.) The castle is a fair hike away and I don’t know how close one is allowed to get. (But, for a very high price, one can rent it for a week from the National Trust–see the website. There are lots of Bed & Breakfast and other accommodations around but since it is a very popular area, they tend to be pricy. (Padstow, nearby, is a major tourist attraction with several very good--and pricy--restaurants.) My wife and I stayed in an extremely good one (actually the best B&B in which I’ve ever stayed in the UK and I probably been in over a hundred of them over the years) near St. Endellion but it was £95 a night and it might be more in mid-summer. (I could see the upper part of the "castle" at Port Quin from our room--but I needed field glasses to see it in detail.) There is also a B&B at the top of the hill above the surgery but it must be hell to drive up to it and if one is using a car during the day, it would be very time consuming to go back and forth. There are also some B&Bs in the main part of the village (which is up on the top of the hill) and the “school” is in reality a hotel (with parking and not too hard to drive to once one is in the village).

I enjoyed my visit–I could have used more time I suppose but I’m now going to have to re-watch all of the episodes to see if I can match what I saw to what is on the disc.

PLM, I really enjoyed reading your description of the village. Thanks for sharing it all. Perhaps when I go next year, everyone will have drunk some of Bert's "spring water" and will be sick at home with diarrhea and I'll have the town to myself. ;-) Or, maybe, I'll being my own "spring water" and hand it out free, heh, heh, heh.... ;):)
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I was re-watching S5E7 the other day and was again taken with the scene when the Doc was treating the Cat Lady while Bert, Al and Joe were arguing around the corner with the loan sharks. While he was gently (gently!) wiping the blood off her face he told her that she wouldn't fall so much if she bought new glasses. He used his "Louisa" voice on the lady who rescues cats! Even while he was telling her that a little soap wouldn't go amiss. And he continued in that vein when Joe came to question her and DM told him that it wasn't a good time. It was only as he went to leave that he looked at her with his patented scowl. I think he realized all of a sudden who he had been being so nice to.

I love when they have DM be nice to a patient, because they've been really smart about keeping such instances rare (well, outside of S1, when they were, understandably, a bit overeager with the "heart of goooold" thing) and because they don't make his motivations too transparent. Which keeps it much more interesting than anvil-dropping would be. Maybe he sympathized with the cat lady because she reminded him of Joan -- elderly animal-lover with money problems. But then again, maybe not. The other example that comes to mind is the teenage girl who was self-conscious about her flat chest. I don't know if giving her a placebo was the most ethical way to go, but I think he was genuinely trying to make her feel better. Again, they leave his reasons a bit ambiguous -- though I suspect her line about being bullied by the other girls had something to do with it, triggering his own memories of being bullied as a kid.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he smiles when he sees AJ the first time in S1.

Yes - that and the one watching Ross' car in the water were both pretty full-on smiles. Biffpup also mentioned the one at the hotel after Louisa asked him to the concert - that was ALMOST a full-on smile.

I think my favorite one was part of my favorite moment ever in this show. When they were walking out of the concert and Martin clumsily took Louisa's hand. It took a few seconds to get it right, but when he did, and Louisa seemed to be good with it, his posture straightened up and he just had this proud look on his face with a slight grin. It just warms my heart every time I watch it. Of course he is rewarded for his bravery when Louisa pulls him into the trees.:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Yes - that and the one watching Ross' car in the water were both pretty full-on smiles. Biffpup also mentioned the one at the hotel after Louisa asked him to the concert - that was ALMOST a full-on smile.

I think my favorite one was part of my favorite moment ever in this show. When they were walking out of the concert and Martin clumsily took Louisa's hand. It took a few seconds to get it right, but when he did, and Louisa seemed to be good with it, his posture straightened up and he just had this proud look on his face with a slight grin. It just warms my heart every time I watch it. Of course he is rewarded for his bravery when Louisa pulls him into the trees.:D:D:D

It's been mentioned before on the Forum that he smiles pretty clearly to Roger when he sees Roger Fenn back at playing the piano to a roomful of school kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the "smile" sightings.

I do miss Roger. I rewatched the episodes in Season One with him. He was a good male foil for Martin.

Having watched those eps, however, reminded me of who I don't miss at all. I didn't like the character of Elaine and was delighted when she was gone at the start of Season Two. I guess her inability to apologize, which he suggested was part of the reason he fired her, was to suggest that he had many of the same characteristics, but to me she was just plain grating.

I liked Pauline, and find Morwenna's eagerness and enthusiasm has also worked well. That first episode with her grandfather, the sweetness they both showed, was just lovely.

Did anyone else find Elaine a jarring note in an otherwise well-balanced cast? I understand that the episode where DM sacks her was supposed to show the closeness of the community - despite her outrageious behavior, the commuity sticks behind her and shuns him until he rehires her.
This discussion has been closed.