Options

How was your transition/move between Android and iOS?

Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
Forum Member
For about the last 4 weeks I have been in transition for want of a better way to put it. I upgraded my mobile from an iPhone 5S to a Galaxy Note 4, it sort of makes me hugely hypocritical as I was bemoaning about phablets and large screens. I honestly thought it would be difficult to switch, it wasn't much to my surprise. I think what I find more jarring now is that looking at a small screen sub 5 inches and I begin to struggle to use it. My biggest gripe with the Galaxy Note 4 isn't so much the size its the thickness, without a cover its ok but every case usually adds a couple of millimetres, I am awaiting a case that shouldn't really add any bulk but deliveries from China take their time. One thing I have always hated about android is the software buttons, GN4 doesn't have these and gives all the screen to the device.

What find more odd is the lack of problems moving from iOS to Android, most if not all the apps are available for both platforms. iOS definitely has more polish but Android is making headway in that area. I have always said I am a fanboy for neither ecosystem and that remains true, since I last had an Android as my main phone alot has changed. Previously taking a photo on an Android phone wouldn't show up in the camera roll or your tablet all that quickly, this has been resolved to my knowledge with Google+ and the photos app. Taking photos on a iPhone would then show those images on my iPad which I thought was useful.

My biggest like is the sharing.....take a photo and its easy to share on twitter/facebook/google/flickr or any other app. This isn't as easy on iOS at the moment not least until the Apps like Gmail/WhatsApp et al pull their finger out and use extensions.

I really do appreciate now that Android has come on leaps and bounds even since KitKat. The incoming Lollipop I think will stimulate things further, making for a better wholesale experience. I have used Lollipop on my Nexus 7, really loving the fluidity and response time, they have clearly invested a lot of effort and I feel that is paying off.

All being said I still think iPads are the best tablets on the market, they just work and have a very large premium app library which Android can only dream of. I think that is mainly how Apple is able to control the ecosystem in which to prevent piracy something Google still struggles with.

Anyway I just wanted to find out how other people managed, whether you regretted moving in either direction or was it a success?

Are there anything you miss from either platform having moved?

Comments

• Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    For about the last 4 weeks I have been in transition for want of a better way to put it. I upgraded my mobile from an iPhone 5S to a Galaxy Note 4, it sort of makes me hugely hypocritical . . . having moved?

After having several Android phones for a while, I now use an iPhone 5s. On a good fast phone Android is fine. On a slower phone it's not so good, but that obviously is not Android's fault. I find the 5s and IoS slicker, but that might just be because of the phone rather than the OS.

Still looking for features which might be there on IoS, such as delivery report, but to be honest I'm well beyond any of that and have got it out of my system. If the phone does what I want it to do with the fewest hassles . . .

I also have an iPad Mini and an iPad Air, and I do think they are a cut above the equivalent Android models.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    For about the last 4 weeks I have been in transition for want of a better way to put it. I upgraded my mobile from an iPhone 5S to a Galaxy Note 4, it sort of makes me hugely hypocritical as I was bemoaning about phablets and large screens. I honestly thought it would be difficult to switch, it wasn't much to my surprise. I think what I find more jarring now is that looking at a small screen sub 5 inches and I begin to struggle to use it. My biggest gripe with the Galaxy Note 4 isn't so much the size its the thickness, without a cover its ok but every case usually adds a couple of millimetres, I am awaiting a case that shouldn't really add any bulk but deliveries from China take their time. One thing I have always hated about android is the software buttons, GN4 doesn't have these and gives all the screen to the device.

What find more odd is the lack of problems moving from iOS to Android, most if not all the apps are available for both platforms. iOS definitely has more polish but Android is making headway in that area. I have always said I am a fanboy for neither ecosystem and that remains true, since I last had an Android as my main phone alot has changed. Previously taking a photo on an Android phone wouldn't show up in the camera roll or your tablet all that quickly, this has been resolved to my knowledge with Google+ and the photos app. Taking photos on a iPhone would then show those images on my iPad which I thought was useful.

My biggest like is the sharing.....take a photo and its easy to share on twitter/facebook/google/flickr or any other app. This isn't as easy on iOS at the moment not least until the Apps like Gmail/WhatsApp et al pull their finger out and use extensions.

I really do appreciate now that Android has come on leaps and bounds even since KitKat. The incoming Lollipop I think will stimulate things further, making for a better wholesale experience. I have used Lollipop on my Nexus 7, really loving the fluidity and response time, they have clearly invested a lot of effort and I feel that is paying off.

All being said I still think iPads are the best tablets on the market, they just work and have a very large premium app library which Android can only dream of. I think that is mainly how Apple is able to control the ecosystem in which to prevent piracy something Google still struggles with.

Anyway I just wanted to find out how other people managed, whether you regretted moving in either direction or was it a success?

Are there anything you miss from either platform having moved?

I used Android before i got an iphone 4S. The move was simple enough even though some things on iOS were beyond stupid then like turning wifi on or off was a pest compared to androids pull down a tab and click wifi. I never really understood why people said iOS was more user friendly and easier to use. I certainly didnt think so. Both were just as easy. Having said that, I really couldn't get into iOS so moved back to Android and haven't left since.

I have the release version of Lollipop on my LG G3 due to be released in Poland next week, and i have to say, its the best version yet. Even with LG's minimal skin on it, its fast as hell. More so than Kitkat.

With regards to the iPad, i had one and didn't like it! I mean, it was ok, but nothing special. I have had numerous top end Android tablets as well, but the best one i have had yet is my Asus Transformer T100 which runs a full version of Windows. To me nothing touches having a proper full OS on a tablet that doubles as a laptop.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    In 2011: horrible.
    In 2013: excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    To Android: Gain a few IQ points.

To iOS: Lose a few IQ points.