iPods silly question but how do they come??

80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
Forum Member
A bit confused really .
I bought an iPod touch for my son for Christmas . It's the New iPod touch ( that's how was marketed) .
I went to pick it up from Tesco direct and I was shocked at how it was packaged. It was packaged in a clear plastic case no bigger than the iPod itself . No charger no nothing . It's no bigger than a deck of cards.
I did comment and say ' is that it!' they told me that's how apple package stuff.
It's a christmas present for my son and shallow as it may sound I was hoping it was going to come on a resonsably sized box with the word iPod in big letters written across it.
It dosen't look the amount I've paid for it.
Someone suggested going into an Apple shop and see if it's packaged differently.
Was the woman right? Is this how stuff is packaged? I mean no charger either.

Btw I know this should be in Advice or technology but Ive typed all this out on my phone now !

Comments

• iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ipod was in like a cd case box that was made in thick cardboard.

Very pretty packaged.

No charger? Are there instructions?
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should have got a USB lead for charging from a Laptop/PC, a wall charger, you'll have to buy separately, probably get one for less than a fiver on Amazon.

Something like this for example.

Obviously check model etc... first (and look at different chargers, just noticed that one I gave as an example hasn't got very good reviews).
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Tesco website, it should at least come with a USB cable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    iPods don't come with chargers. Every new iPod touch is packaged in the same way. You get headphones, USB cable and quick start guide.

This is the proper box/packaging, as shown on Apple's website for the touch:

http://images.apple.com/euro/ipodtouch/images/specs_box20100901.jpg

It's packaged this way to cut down on transport costs/waste. Think of the environment!

From Appe: Smaller, more compact packaging (17% smaller, 16% lighter)
  • rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the simplicity of the packaging personally :)
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80's chick wrote: »
    It's a christmas present for my son and shallow as it may sound I was hoping it was going to come on a resonsably sized box with the word iPod in big letters written across it.

Trust me, if your son is savvy, he will think you are the coolest mum ever! (Unless he wanted an iphone4 of course) Less is more with apple, that's the whole point. PS, as others have said, the USB lead that comes with it is used to charge it.
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do say the best things come in small packages :D, but maybe you could put the Ipod in a bigger box and cover it with shredded paper and then wrap that up in Christmas wrapping.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great things come in small packages.
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    Right I've just looked in the back and it says includes USB charger and earphones . It looks very small so I can't see how.
    I was going to open it in the shop but the woman said I wouldn't be able to get a refund if it was opened.
    I just expected more for my money .
    I have just shown my work colleague and she says the packaging makes it look very cheap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I got my first iPod about 6 years ago they used to come in a heavy set cube shaped box that was quite elaborate and colourful with iPod written across it in big letters like you imagined. It also came with installation CD, a USB cable, Firewire cable AND a wall charger.

These days Apple are very low key with their packaging, the new iPods do come in very cheap looking plastic boxes with a very snug fit. I think they're trying to reduce the amount of discarded packaging that goes to landfill. Does make gifts seem less WOW though I agree.

Perhaps you could put the packaging inside a larger box and fill it with coloured paper like party streamers etc? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Good on Apple at reducing unnecessary packaging. After it's opened you'd probably throw it in the bin!

When I got my iPod the USB cable and headphones were carefully wrapped up inside the case, behind the iPod. Other products have them on display, using much more packaging than necessary.

One thing which annoyed me is that you had to bend the plastic to get the iPod out. I was scared in case I snapped the iPod by mistake! :o
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just expected more for my money.
    Perhaps you should have got him one of these? :D

*edit - oops - why did I post a pic of a phone when we're talking about ipods :o
  • JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right I've just looked in the back and it says includes USB charger and earphones . It looks very small so I can't see how.
    I was going to open it in the shop but the woman said I wouldn't be able to get a refund if it was opened.
    I just expected more for my money .
    I have just shown my work colleague and she says the packaging makes it look very cheap.

Seriously, what are you talking about? He wants the iPod not the packaging! Flashing it to somebody at work and letting them tell you it looks cheap is just a little strange. I have heard people slag Apple for many things but never their packaging. Jesus. It used to be huge and bulky and now is small.

My Mother had the same reaction when she bought it for me. By the way the earphones and cable are in there, they are tucked in the back. Your son will love this and not be arsed about the packaging in any way. It is the same packaging in every shop by the way.

A company tries to be environmentally friendly and save money on storage and transport and they get ripped by some silly old woman you work with. Do yourself a favour, ignore this mad woman and think about your son and how much he will want this.

I personally love the small plastic packaging.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, what are you talking about? He wants the iPod not the packaging! Flashing it to somebody at work and letting them tell you it looks cheap is just a little strange. I have heard people slag Apple for many things but never their packaging. Jesus. It used to be huge and bulky and now is small.

My Mother had the same reaction when she bought it for me. By the way the earphones and cable are in there, they are tucked in the back. Your son will love this and not be arsed about the packaging in any way.

A company tries to be environmentally friendly and save money on storage and transport and they get ripped by some silly old woman you work with. Do yourself a favour, ignore this mad woman and think about your son and how much he will want this.

I personally love the small plastic packaging.
    Completely agree.

My iPhone came in a box no bigger than was needed to accommodate everything contained within. Had it not had a wall-plug adapter, it would probably have been only marginally bigger than the phone itself. Just like...oh, I don't know...an iPod's packaging.

If you're so desperate for it to be in a big box, buy one of these and write "iPod" on it yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Apple are minimalistic, Its what they do.

All the chargers (the charger itself is a USB cable that connects to your PC, I'm not sure, but I'm almost certain that you can buy a charger that plugs in the wall) and the headphones are all wrapped up under the iPod. As are the instructions and warranty details.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minimalism is the way to go. Nothing wrong with their packaging. I don't expect your son is too bothered about having some fancy writing on a box that he'll discard once he gets his hands on the gadget. You should be pleased Apple are doing something to help the environment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Minimalism is the way to go. Nothing wrong with their packaging. I don't expect your son is too bothered about having some fancy writing on a box that he'll discard once he gets his hands on the gadget. You should be pleased Apple are doing something to help the environment.

+1

Apples packaging is very stylish, From the iPod Nano to the Mac book, Both of which I use daily. The packaging, and the products are always very sleek and stylish. And yeah, the environment...:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't seem to win with some people. Everyone complains about excess packaging and here comes apple with great minimalistic packaging designs that look good, protect the product and doesn't waste any packaging material but someone actually wants extra packaging?

What normally comes in big boxes that mobile phones etc... come in?? Lot's of space for air thats what. Electronics companies are normally awful for excess packaging so well done apple :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is your son, OP?

Surely if he's old enough to have an iPod he's old enough to understand that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better when it comes to gifts, especially the more expensive ones like iPods?

Sure, it may not look like much when it's all wrapped up, but when he unwraps it and sees an expensive piece of tech that he wanted he'll realise that you obviously spent a lot of money on his gift.
    If not then he's ungrateful and doesn't deserve a bloody iPod!
  • cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where do you work that nobody has seen an iPod before? :confused:
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    Cartree it's just me and oanother work colleague tonight chatting about Christmas and because it was in my handbag ( need to find somewhere to hide it) I showed her when I was telling her that I wasn't happy with the way it came.
    She hasn't got an iPod and said she expected the packaging to be bigger especially as it is being given as a gift .

He is 10 for someone who wondered how old he was.

Oh well . Nothing I can do about it I suppose.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't this just epitomise Christmas -- an apparent desire for waste?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I think your son will be more impressed than you're giving him credit for. He'll also know it's value so enjoy his response!
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loudly :D
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    What do you need the packaging for anyway?

It's the contents that're important, right?