The Aiden Grimshaw Appreciation Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• spiralstaticspiralstatic Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my! Aiden has a single in the charts! Let's be happy folks!! :p It's only been out 2 days!

Also, I know there's this thing regarding the singles and album chart on itunes, but surely when it comes to the actual UK top 40, all sales will count as single sales?

I do feel people are being overly pessimistic, but also it doesn't bother me where Aiden places. Initially, when we were thinking about the type of career Aiden might have, I never envisioned him to be a "pop star" with... see, I can't even bring myself to type that G word that describes fans... it makes me cringe on my insides in the same way personalised number plates do. It doesn't bother me that people use it, it just feels so 13-year-old-girl for your "fans" to be named anything (no disrespect to 13 year old's who can of course be just as much music lovers too, but I didn't know how else to put it?!)?! And I suppose I feel it implies more of an idolising-type fanbase than a music-lovers one were I to try to explain why it makes me feel this way. I wouldn't normally comment on the G word at all mainly because I'd never have considered myself grouped as a G-word in any case ahaha... although ahaha.. I'll stop there!! :o

I mean, I say this, but I do think he potentially could become the massive "pop star" (I hope just in those words it explains what I mean!) and it might even be easier to get there... but possibly less lasting. Maybe he can have it all ways too... I have no idea.

Anyway, in fact Aiden's music does seem a little more mainstream than perhaps initially I'd imagined it might be (by the time it was released I was expecting it, not to necessarily sound as it does as I happily had no idea, but I was expecting something more that could appeal to many many people!) but live his music is a lot less mainstream I feel and his promotion has been geared as exclusively as possible to a credible direction.

I do feel, with the song itself, there is a chance it could grow and either sell well or climb the chart... but I haven't a clue on the charts - obviously I didn't even know singles are pretty much entirely download only now even!! But I also feel (and of course hope) the plan for him isn't to make a some quick money. The single is here now... so now it can begin. Maybe when the album's released they can get Aiden a slot on Jools in the September shows and it'll blow up big for him. Maybe it'll be massive right away. AIden is in a weird position of being known both by a fan-base who as yet didn't know what his own music would be, and he's also in the heads of people (even if they've forgotten him - when they first encounter him, they'll be reminded) in a perspective put across by a telly show so those people may feel they know who he is already. Maybe he has to deconstruct a few preconceptions some people might have before he can rebuild. And in my view, that seems to have been done..?? The reviews all point to it :)!!!! It's happening, anyway - definitely!

I'm here for a long time career (well I'm here whatever happens, but a long career is what I'd hope for for Aiden) and because all that time ago, back on "that show" I felt Aiden had that something: both vocally and something there in that potential - to be an artist. I don't even know how you can say you sense or feel that in such a show, but we did. I think that's something that has to take time to grow and I feel excited not just for this album but to imagine where Aiden might go in the future: everything was obviously new to him this time so the idea that he could (and surely will) develop further musically is exciting to me.

I hope the people who've let him take his time with the album and are promoting him in this way are in it similarly, for the long term, with belief in Aiden :). We might not have expected they'd be... but from what we can tell thus far, it's seemed like they are? That's the way he's being promoted!! I think it's brilliant :).

I know we're in our own bubble a bit, but surely when he plays live it's going to be popular? Hopefully the album will do well. And look at bands & that who are becoming big. Most new artists you wouldn't even hear of their first single - it'd maybe be after their album is released that you'd start to hear the buzz....???? Or at least closer to the album's release..?

Maybe idlewildgirl will be lucky & they'll get him on some festival lineups in the summer too and build more music-lover buzz that way :). I can imagine it...?

Perhaps even before that, they'll get him in the live lounge or something?! I guess maybe not his entire potential music-buying market might've heard the song at all yet. But, hopefully they will. And when they do hear it, maybe they'll feel like they discovered it for themselves rather than it being shoved down their throats??

Obviously I don't really know what I'm talking about! I just came on here this morning to a string of a little bit :( posts and I feel ecstatic! Aiden's got a single in the charts!!! I'd send it to number one of course, and maybe it'll do really well, but whatever it gets to I AM EXCITED!!! :D

Also, http://idolmag.co.uk/music-interview/aiden-grimshaw is a lovely interview and Aiden says lots of lovely things. Also, "Sub Focus, Moby, Faithless" make sense of the music he's making!

Aaaaannndddd, I can proper hear in my head him singing "Breathe Me"... gonna be emotional that one, ain't it :cry:!!!! Goodness, just the idea of it!

Feels like a long time since I wrote quite such a massive long post about nothing. For shame. Sorry! .......*scarpers*

Oh! One more thing! I don't care what anyone else has to say about it if it doesn't top 10 or whatever!! Who cares what anyone says about anything?! Although the reviews are all great, so :) anyway! In the end it's the music that matters.

PS Maybe I'm overly optimistic? If so, I don't care!!!!! hahaha!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    As much as it would be wonderful to see Aiden chart highly, I'm not particularly fussed about it, if I'm being honest. I mean, it doesn't change anything, we can still listen to his music and we can still enjoy it. I remember once getting really annoyed that Joshua Radin (sorry I'm going to go a bit off topic now :p) didn't make the Top 10 with his debut single here, but then I realised that as long as I and his fans continue to listen and enjoy his music, and continue to support him thats all that matters. I think RCA are very aware of the support surrounding Aiden, and I think that they're not going to threat over his single sales. I think that in todays music, single sales are nothing, for example, a song can go no.1 one week, and drop the week after.

Sorry for going on a long rant, but I think we need to remain optimistic and continue to enjoy his music without regards to the chart positioning. I honestly think Aiden isn't going to be a single artist like Rihanna, or Katy Perry (I only mention them because they sell countless singles, even though their album didn't sale greatly), I think, Aiden will be an album seller, which in terms of an artist, is much better than a single :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I guess maybe not his entire potential music-buying market might've heard the song at all yet. But, hopefully they will. And when they do hear it, maybe they'll feel like they discovered it for themselves rather than it being shoved down their throats?

Agree with this point. It's almost like starting from scratch with his music and as an artist. The fact that one of his first gigs he's doing is a MusicWeek showcase for "new and breaking artists" hopefully indicates that the people around think this too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Articles like this don't help :(
    http://trashlounge.co.uk/12238/the-aiden-grimshaw-single-is-quietly-flopping/

It's more frustration than pessimism on my part. Of course we'll all continue to support and follow Aiden regardless but I feel like there are a whole load more people out there that would feel the same as we do if they heard his music. I feel sorry for them missing out :D:p

There seems to be a bit of a ramp up of publicity this week, with Is This Love being playlisted on MTV, added to spotify and on the homepage of iTunes (I know that's the album but it links to the single as well). Maybe the PR was aimed at a 'soft launch' in week 1, climbing to Top 20/10 in Week 2 :confused:

Do we know what singles are due for release this Sunday?
    Forum Member
    Kellz_xxx wrote: »
    Articles like this don't help :(
    http://trashlounge.co.uk/12238/the-aiden-grimshaw-single-is-quietly-flopping/

It's more frustration than pessimism on my part. Of course we'll all continue to support and follow Aiden regardless but I feel like there are a whole load more people out there that would feel the same as we do if they heard his music. I feel sorry for them missing out :D:p

There seems to be a bit of a ramp up of publicity this week, with Is This Love being playlisted on MTV, added to spotify and on the homepage of iTunes (I know that's the album but it links to the single as well). Maybe the PR was aimed at a 'soft launch' in week 1, climbing to Top 20/10 in Week 2 :confused:

Do we know what singles are due for release this Sunday?

June 10
    Cheryl Cole: 'Call My Name'
    Sam Sparro: 'I Wish I Never Met You'
    Stooshe: 'Black Heart'

Well Cheryl Cole's crap will probably sale greatly, but hopefully this will not affect Aiden's sales, and if it does, thats quite worrying.. Oh the youth of today :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Radio airplay chart position vs iTunes chart position. Doesn't include TV airplay which of course can have a big impact.

Just thought it may be relevant to show the airplay singles released this week were getting in relation to where they currently are in the iTunes chart:

Gary Barlow: iTunes No 1
    Airplay chart No 9

Usher: iTunes No 2
    Airplay chart No 24

DJ Fresh: iTunes No 5
    Airplay chart No 22

Nelly Fertado: iTunes No 15
    Airplay chart No 78

Aiden: iTunes No 39
    Airplay chart No 81

Source: http://www.ukairplaychart.com/
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio airplay chart position vs iTunes chart position. Doesn't include TV airplay which of course can have a big impact.

Just thought it may be relevant to show the airplay singles released this week were getting in relation to where they currently are in the iTunes chart:

Gary Barlow: iTunes No 1
    Airplay chart No 9

Usher: iTunes No 2
    Airplay chart No 24

DJ Fresh: iTunes No 5
    Airplay chart No 22

Nelly Fertado: iTunes No 15
    Airplay chart No 78

Aiden: iTunes No 39
    Airplay chart No 81

Source: http://www.ukairplaychart.com/

The Nelly Furtado song is the only real anomaly. It isn't rocket science. The higher the song on the airplay chart, the higher the song on the itunes chart. Obviously having an established fanbase also helps.

Hopefully the playlisting for MTV should give ITL a bit of a boost. :)
  • mistyellemistyelle Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kellz_xxx wrote: »

the obsession with sales has quietly killed the music business/newspapers and the like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airplay placings of June 10th releases:
    Cheryl Cole 2nd :eek:
    Stooshe 43rd
    Can't see Sam Sparro

Interesting that the volume of Aiden's plays is so much lower than everybody else at only 194. Compared to Alexandra Burke, who's a place behind him, with 1,286.
    In fact he has one of the worst volume of plays on that list, it is the number of listeners on Radio One that has resulted in him being as high as he is :cool:

Other RCA artists:
    Paloma Faith 10
    Kelly Clarkson 13
    Usher 24
    Kelly Clarkson 27
    Chris Brown 33 (pffft)
    Pitbull 80
    Aiden 81
    Alexandra Burke 82
    Will Young 91

Edit: On the Rolling Week Chart he's dropped to 88 ! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit gutting, was hoping he'd chart well :(
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delete.
  • mistyellemistyelle Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hoped it would but knew he wouldnt.

You have to realise that , for most, its not been heard. I rarely listen to R1 so, were it not for twitter/DS, i'd never known it was out.

I dont buy singles ,therefore, were it not for a tweet that told me otherwise i wouldnt have bought it. Got the Ep instead.

Its really about music journos/dj's and what they like:( Music comes in to it only incidently! which rarely suits my taste but that dont make them right/wrong.

I just hope in this case that he hangs on to what he's got! I never saw the next big thing just someone, FOR ONCE that i like! Just the way it is:(

music is about sales, sheep/musos and predicatability. I dont care that Aiden is from the X factor .I saw something different from the banal commonplsce that i just liked.

He's not original just ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as it would be wonderful to see Aiden chart highly, I'm not particularly fussed about it, if I'm being honest. I mean, it doesn't change anything, we can still listen to his music and we can still enjoy it. I remember once getting really annoyed that Joshua Radin (sorry I'm going to go a bit off topic now :p) didn't make the Top 10 with his debut single here, but then I realised that as long as I and his fans continue to listen and enjoy his music, and continue to support him thats all that matters.

I LOVE and ADORE Joshua Radin. Us Aiden fans have good taste :p In some ways and I do some some - not charting highly can be a compliment as a lot of the time, the stuff high in the chart is absolute rubbish! I much prefer the artists who hover under the charts yet have the creativity to create the music they want and their fans want without worrying about the pressure of chart topping hits - which can sometimes change an artist in my opinion. Although I do understand the importance of high placings just because of record labels so it's difficult. But Aiden has so far been the most successful 9th placed X Factor star ever right? :D Something we should all be proud of!

What doesn't help is the promotion hasn't been that spectacular. I've been listening to Radio 1 for days in the hope of catching his single live and haven't heard it once. And I'm looking out for it.
  • LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well aren't we all a happy bunch atm ;):)

He doesn't seem to be selling massively or being played a lot on radio but...

*positive hat on as always*

He has not had a big PR push, if like say Burke he had a high profile, was constantly in the media and had been flogging her wares all over the TV and people STILL didn't want to buy I would be worried.

But that isn't the situation Aiden is in. He is a new artist with a low profile. His label hasn't thrown money at his single launch it seems to have been targeted at particular areas few of which would be the first port of call to drum up sales. They are however good for building up a good rep and respect in the industry.

Some publications, sites and people who are very respected have showered the song with a lot of love. Aiden is building up a rep in the industry that will stand him in good stead for his long term career. And this is all about the long term. It shouldn't be about getting a mediocre single in the top 10 then disappearing never to be heard of again.
    He is an artist and he will have to build up his fanbase.

Top 10 straight away for the first single was always unlikely.
    Of course his record company want him to sell well and if the album doesn't sell then I will worry for him but not atm
    He is doing very well and impressing a lot of people. Respect goes a long way and he has caught the ears of a lot of important people.
    In the long term it is the quality of what he is doing that matters not the volume it sells. A shitty album that sells millions will soon be forgotten. But a brilliant album that sells only respectably will always be remembered. I would rather be remembered by a few than be forgotten by alot ;):p

I want Aiden to make one of the best (if not THE best) pop albums of 2012 and if it is not the highest selling I'm not that bothered tbh :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben just retweeted a link to Aiden's Official Charts interview:

http://www.officialcharts.com/features/aiden-grimshaw-chats-to-the-official-charts-1434/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, yay for positivity. Great post, LittleNothing. :)

I think it's incredibly sweet how Aiden's friends are trying to rally support on Twitter. Both Matt and Savan have tweeted positive things about the single today. I know in the grand scheme of things, that doesn't mean much, but I just feel vindicated in the fact that almost everyone who has heard the song likes it and wants it (and Aiden) to do well. If it doesn't make the top 40, which is looking increasingly likely, hopefully the label will accept that lack of promo on their part was a key factor in that, and learn those lessons for the album launch.
  • AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as chart position means absolutely nothing to me, it means a hell of a lot to the people who are waiting to brand him a flop... However I do think that with the sort/level of promo and airplay that he has had he his doing quite well. I just hope that his PR people have a good plan up their sleeves for the album launch!
  • LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as chart position means absolutely nothing to me, it means a hell of a lot to the people who are waiting to brand him a flop... However I do think that with the sort/level of promo and airplay that he has had he his doing quite well. I just hope that his PR people have a good plan up their sleeves for the album launch!

me too :) record companies are a business ultimately but if I feel like they aren't doing right by Aiden, or giving him a fair chance then I will be pissed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aiden is on R1 tonight at 9pm, on Edith Bowmans Review Show, reviewing stuff :D

Also, here's a diff link to interview that appeared last night, along with a diff picture

http://networkedblogs.com/yohB6

Edit: Absolutely love love love this article / blog :Dhttp://unrealityshout.com/blogs/single-review-aiden-grimshaw-love?utm_source=Twitterfeed&utm_medium=Tweet&utm_campaign=Twitter+%28%40unrealitytv%29
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that it's getting a resoundingly positive critical response... Hopefully that will translate into more radio play leading up to the album release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone interseted in going on a "date" with Aiden should watch this video and do what he says! http://youtu.be/Pmx__cv1fWo
    Forum Member
    Anyone interseted in going on a "date" with Aiden should watch this video and do what he says! http://youtu.be/Pmx__cv1fWo

Cue a mob of frisky, naive, teenage girls :p They better be good questions, I mean, if I have to endure one more :"what colour underwear are you wearing??" questions, I think I will have a nervous breakdown :mad::p
    Forum Member
    http://www.andydermanis.com/news/
    Images from the channel 4 show on at 1.10am on Wednesday
  • spiralstaticspiralstatic Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

hahaha!!

Can we all submit questions in your name? I think you should interview Aiden! I reckon you'd get us many answers :cool:!!?! All who say aye, say aye!! "Aye!" Even better, we could just call you "Ali" and your gender'd be disguised too!! ahahahaha :p:p:p Don't worry, we won't actually do this - I am steering well clear of there!
    The Aiden Grimshaw programme I directed is on C4 tomorrow night at 1.10AM - check out some shots from the shoot here

http://www.andydermanis.com/news/

Curtain call! With Labrinth's sister?

Also, were these ever here (probably they were... I wasn't around just following when the single was first listenable... been looking for the single image to make a CD of it thus found 'em.
    http://feedlimmy.com/2012/04/20/leak-report-aiden-grimshaw-is-this-love/
    http://iblamehollywood.net/?p=3075

Also, I feel ashamed for posting this morning now. I do go on! haha.

LittleNothing always says everything I wanted to say in much fewer words and making much more sense!

ETA Again I'm writing too long a post so CustardCreams:D beat me to the link. Will I ever learn? :rolleyes: (No. No I shan't!)
  • big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im gutted it's not making the top 20 at the moment but I think finishing only 9th on The X Factor has made people not give him a chance which is ridiculous imo, even I give people like Olly Murs a chance when they first started out as I hated him on The X Factor and alright I wasn't keen on his Music but I could at least I can say that I tried to like his Music.