Options

Is John Lennon`s `Imagine` a song about atheism?

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And how the world would be a better place without the religious grip?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's more about worldwide peace..but yes no religion would mean less wars even nowadays
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    No, it's a song about imagining a world without divisions and one of unity - it chimes a bit with liberation theology actually...

But either way, it's not entirely serious nor possible, its a bit of idealism hence John singing 'imagine no possessions' from a mansion :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    frank5 wrote: »
    it's more about worldwide peace..but yes no religion would mean less wars even nowadays

Misconception

Religions rarely ever cause wars, just used as an excuse by some
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    If the song was about atheism, it'd say 'there's no God', not 'imagine there's no God'.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Misconception

Religions rarely ever cause wars, just used as an excuse by some

Yet religions are rarely the driving force of universal understanding they might aspire to be. More often they are the source of sectarian tension which divides peoples. So yes, not the direct cause of war but a major influencer.

There are a number of interpretations of 'Imagine' which is partly what makes it such a brilliant piece of work.
    One interpretation might be that Lennon wants us to throw off all value systems be they religious ('imagine there's no heaven') or secular ('imagine all possessions') and that we understand our common humanity and work together to make the world a better place. At first reading that seems closest to a humanist view of society which is normally understood to be atheistic or agnostic.

On the other hand, it could be interpreted as endorsing an essential set of religious beliefs about the world. Christianity does suggest that reconciliation with your fellow man is an essential element of belief (love they neighbour as thy self) and you will find similar instructions in Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism and Islam. The fact that the followers of these religions don't always live up to these aspirations is not necessarily a weakness of the belief system just a weakness in people.

For me John Lennon was a rare, truly gifted artist. 'Imagine' shows how a deceptively simple work of Art can provide quite profound insights.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea what it is about as i never really listen to lyrics, but my god what a dull depressing song:eek:
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    No idea what it is about as i never really listen to lyrics, but my god what a dull depressing song:eek:

suppose its not glitzy enough for you... :sleep:

its a simple, gentle, wistful song with a beautiful but unattainable message.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I agree. I can't stand it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice song, naive lyrics though. What was the reaction of the church/establishment/media at the time, anyone know or was around then? Thanks :)
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's beauty is in it's simplicity. Which is why I hate whenever it's covered by some screamer. I caught a few minutes of someone singing it on The Voice and it was abominable. Obviously these people don't believe that there is such a thing as oversinging.

To me, the song is about having a common understanding between people, throwing off shackles of power and division (religion, wealth, politics etc.) and instead coming together in mutual understanding and peace. An idealist society.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you watch movies on mute too?
  • Options
    chrisgeorgiou46chrisgeorgiou46 Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    There is a difference between believing in God and believing in religion. I am not religious. Religion is just too corrupt IMO
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's annoying that even people who can't name more than 3 Beatles songs love Imagine so much. Imagine's not even the best song on the album it's on IMO!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    It's annoying that even people who can't name more than 3 Beatles songs love Imagine so much. Imagine's not even the best song on the album it's on IMO!

I did like 'Crippled Inside' and 'Gimme Some Truth' when I used the play the album to death. But 'Imagine' is still the best song. It's great to hear people talking about this song even now. It is part of the canon of popular music.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Lennon was an atheist. He expressed that much in his song God on his previous album. But Imagine isn't a song about atheism. It's about various beliefs or vices that are often the root of conflict and how we'd probably be better off without relying on them.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I can't stand it.

Neither can I
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I did like 'Crippled Inside' and 'Gimme Some Truth' when I used the play the album to death. But 'Imagine' is still the best song. It's great to hear people talking about this song even now. It is part of the canon of popular music.

What about Jealous Guy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    What about Jealous Guy?

At the time it was the one I skipped. I don't think I appreciated its honesty at the time.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno, but its about 3.03 too long IMHO
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a difference between believing in God and believing in religion. I am not religious. Religion is just too corrupt IMO

true..i accept the possibility of a god of some form , but i reject all religions, faith is possibly the most damaging of emotions, it gives you carte blanche to believe in anything regardless of the facts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    John Lennon was an atheist. He expressed that much in his song God on his previous album. But Imagine isn't a song about atheism. It's about various beliefs or vices that are often the root of conflict and how we'd probably be better off without relying on them.

In 1970, he may have been but...
    Grow old along with me
    The best is yet to be
    When our time has come
    We will be as one

God bless our love
    God bless our love

Grow old along with me
    Two branches of one tree
    Face the setting sun
    When the day is done

God bless our love
    God bless our love

Spending our lives together
    Man and wife together
    World without end
    World without end

Grow old along with me
    Whatever fate decrees
    We will see it through
    For our love is true

God bless our love
    God bless our love
    Well, I tried so hard to settle down
    But the angel of destruction keeps on houndin' me all around
    But I know in my heart
    The leaves are shining in the sun,
    That we never realy parted.
    Oh no, oh, help me, lord,
    Oh, help me, lord,
    Please, help me, lord, yeah, yeah,
    Help me to help myself,
    Help me to help myself.

They say the lord helps those who helps themselves,
    So I'm asking this question in the hope that you'll be kind
    'Cause I know deep inside
    The leaves are shining in the sun,
    I was never satisfied
    Oh no, oh, help me, lord,
    Please, help me, lord, yeah, yeah
    Help me to help myself,
    Help me to help myself.
    You don't need the package, just as you don't need the Christian package or the Marxist package to get the message. People always got the image I was an anti-Christ or antireligion. I'm not. I'm a most religious fellow. I was brought up a Christian and I only now understand some of the things that Christ was saying in those parables. Because people got hooked on the teacher and missed the message."

He was a hell of a complicated man
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was never intended that the lyrics be taken too seriously. The song is about life without reality, and it is a nice thought.

It was a great album, with very personal lyrics, but intentionally made a little more upbeat and commercial compared to his previous album, which was equally brilliant, but very hard hitting in terms of his personal life at the time.