Options

Paul Gambaccini victim of a "witch hunt"..

i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
Forum Member
Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini has backed a 28-day limit on the use of police bail after telling MPs he was the victim of a "witch-hunt".

Mr Gambaccini was arrested on suspicion of historical sexual abuse and placed on bail for a year before the case against him was dropped in October.

He told a Commons committee that lost earnings and legal fees had cost him more than £200,000.

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) denied there was a "witch-hunt".

Gambaccini claimed he and others been the victims of a "witch-hunt" to divert attention from the failure of the authorities to deal with Savile while he was still alive.

Held on bail for almost a year he realised the dates of his bail renewal often coincided with important developments in the Yewtree investigation.
Bail was extended on 2 May, when publicist Max Clifford was sentenced for historic indecent assaults, on 30 June, hours after the conviction of Rolf Harris, and on 12 September when former Stoke Mandeville doctor Michael Salmon appeared in court charged with rape, he said.

When his bail was extended to 15 September, he suspected a link to the trial of Dave Lee Travis, which was due to end on that date.

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Not sure about "witch hunt". Why would he particularly be targeted by anyone? If someone makes an allegation of this type against anyone then the police have to pursue it. If they find sufficient grounds then they'll charge and seek prosecution. This is how it should be. If he is aggrieved then it should be with whomever made the false allegation (assuming that) rather than with the police for taking it seriously. Without knowing the details, it's impossible to say how far the case should have went but obviously it has to be investigated.

He's right though that it is quite obvious that they are scoping more for these type of allegations and stringing out the court cases to make a public show of it all and that it's the high profile nature of the Savile case that has caused this change, but then that is preferable to just turning a blind eye to any allegation of this type as seems to have happened too often in the past whenever it's been anyone of high status. That's the political element of the law - always trying to affect public perceptions after being shown up in the past (as well as now).

I feel sorry for anyone not guilty of this type of crime being put on public display but if it's a choice between that or having these type of allegations dismissed by authorities only to rise up decades later (and be proven true at times) then I think that's the lesser of the two evils from a holistic society POV. So long as the actual investigation is sound then you have to hope they uncover the truth in each individual case and there are no miscarriages of justice. I do have misgivings about them making names public before pursuing cases to the courts but I guess they have their reasons with wanting others to come forward. I'm not sure it's the right thing but then I'm not an expert in law and policing.

Now they need to have a long hard look at what is going wrong in the care homes and where all those allegations are coming from if they are serious about tackling it all. As well as the council/social workers around the country because the figures from Rotherham are absolutely shocking. That isn't a case of a few bad apples hiding a couple of cases. 1400 is more like a black market child sex trade. It's a mind-boggling number. You wonder how many people need to negligent for that to happen? (I'm assuming that figure is accurate.)
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    He seems to be suggesting the CPS were pulling levers behind the scenes as part of 'witch hunt'.

He says the police handed their one case file to the CPS in 10 February 2014 but it was another 8 months before he was told there was no case against him. Was it coincidence when the police chose to renew his bail, was it part of a PR exercise or is he being ultra sensitive.

Here's a humorous account of his evidence to the select committee.
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't doubt for a moment it was indeed a witch-hunt. I'm sure that the Tory grandees (and maybe even some Labour and LibDem ones) have instructed/threatened the police and the newspapers to go after showbiz and media celebrities even to the point of harassing innocents like Paul G, rather than go for MPs in the current HoC and in past ones. What happened to the dark hints that've been given over a paedo-ring that existed in Parliament in the 60s, 70s, 80s? It's been hushed up by elderly and ageing politicians I suspect.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he still off the radio?
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    I don't doubt for a moment it was indeed a witch-hunt. I'm sure that the Tory grandees (and maybe even some Labour and LibDem ones) have instructed/threatened the police and the newspapers to go after showbiz and media celebrities even to the point of harassing innocents like Paul G, rather than go for MPs in the current HoC and in past ones. What happened to the dark hints that've been given over a paedo-ring that existed in Parliament in the 60s, 70s, 80s? It's been hushed up by elderly and ageing politicians I suspect.

It's about the victims not the perpetrators something the internet mob seem totally unable to comprehend. It matters not one iota to the victim the social status of the perpetrator. This obsession with Parliamentary abusers as if their crimes against children are greater than other abusers smacks of politics rather than genuine concern. What we have in all these cases is massive pressure on authorities to bring cases to court but fact is there is very little evidence. Hence you get the police going on fishing trips ie. Cliff Richard and MP's using parliamentary priviledge to out names. The danger is that our civil liberties are in danger of bring eroded . PC is a victim of this this. Reality has got to kick in and the realisation that it is very difficult to bring cases decades later. For god sake concentrate on the kids being abused now in cities across the country by gangs.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Is he still off the radio?

No, he's back on Saturday nights on Radio 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    No, he's back on Saturday nights on Radio 2.

OK. Cool. Thanks.:)
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit like DLT. His crime was effectively no more than sexual harrassment in the workplace. Rife in all workplaces at the time although that didn't make it acceptable. However the usual punishment would be to get sacked from your job, not a high profile court case.

He said in court that he was "paying for Savile" in that the failings to spot what JS was up to meant that a few high profile names needed to go down. Fair enough with Hall, Harris & Max Clifford but DLT seemed to get a raw deal. And I say this as someone who could never stand the bloke.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    A bit like DLT. His crime was effectively no more than sexual harrassment in the workplace.
    Just to make clear Gambaccini was never accused of that.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit like DLT. His crime was effectively no more than sexual harrassment in the workplace. Rife in all workplaces at the time although that didn't make it acceptable. However the usual punishment would be to get sacked from your job, not a high profile court case.

He said in court that he was "paying for Savile" in that the failings to spot what JS was up to meant that a few high profile names needed to go down. Fair enough with Hall, Harris & Max Clifford but DLT seemed to get a raw deal. And I say this as someone who could never stand the bloke.

True I still hear people calling him a Paedophile, which id just wrong. He has been hung out to dry by the media.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the police know that they fairly cocked up with Savile and have been desperate to show that they've been doing something about historical child abuse ever since it was revealed that Savile was one of the worst child abusers in this nation.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think the police know that they fairly cocked up with Savile and have been desperate to show that they've been doing something about historical child abuse ever since it was revealed that Savile was one of the worst child abusers in this nation.

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. It seems that now the Police are over compensating for their massive errors. Rather than stand up and admit they got it wrong they now seem to take so long with every allegation being made.

Paul was out of his regular work for 12 months, he claims it's cost him £200,000
    Who on earth can afford to lose money like that only to be told at the end of it they aren't going to take thing any further.

So much mud was thrown at DLT something had to stick in the end. I dread to think how much money he lost in the last three years.

I believe later this month we will discover the fate of Neil Fox, he's now been off the radio for six months, presumably losing money.

It does make you wonder where it will all end.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gambaccini also appeared on a recent documentary about Status Quo on BBC4. This documentary was made about 2/3 years ago, but was only recently aired due to Gambaccini previously being persona non grata from the airwaves.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gambaccini also appeared on a recent documentary about Status Quo on BBC4. This documentary was made about 2/3 years ago, but was only recently aired due to Gambaccini previously being persona non grata from the airwaves.

That has been on before and was released originaly on DVD in 2012.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how Paul Gacoigne was the only one who 'turned to drink' because of the hacking.
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The woman who made the sexual harassment accusations against DLT used the story for many years in her comedy act, often claiming that it could have well been an accidental incident.
    She certainly beefed up her claims for the trial. As some people tend to do.
  • Options
    moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isnt Gambaccini that guy who appears in everyones tribute programme pretending to be their best friend when all he actually did was buy their record once?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Held on bail for almost a year he realised the dates of his bail renewal often coincided with important developments in the Yewtree investigation.

Similar I think to what happened last week when the police charged Neil Fox again on the very day Fred Talbot was sentenced. I have some sympathy with Gambaccini's suggestion that there is the whiff of these cases being managed around a series of carefully calculated PR opportunities.