Future of the BBC

Comments

• Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC gave up any pretence of impartiality this election. Their decision to leak the debate discussions believing they could force Cameron to do as they wanted was just the start of it. It's not just Tory issue though is it. BBC feted Farage when they thought he was only a threat to Tories. When it was clear that they were damaging Labour they opened up on UKIP SNP alleged bias in Scotland as well.

Clearly public can see through it and Tories sense groundswell for BBC bias to be taken on.
  • Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...for covering-up peadophila.

Think you've mixed it up with the Catholic Church....
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's one of the first programmes to go, mainly as all the bad aliens in it are modelled on Tory ministers.

The BBC is in need a good shaking up. It's mired with controversy, is bloated and saddled with overseeing huge waste of licence payer money. It's overstretched itself in what it was set up for and the quality of programming isn't particularly decent compared to what it once churned out. Hopefully, they can concentrate on what they do best as opposed to having their finger in pies which they shouldn't be looking at.

BIB...such as?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh really? How many football or rugby players get sacked for punching each other? Did John Prescott get sacked for punching a voter? The other "disciplinary issues" were nonsensical offences against political correctness.

Making racist comments and offensive comments about public sector workers is simply wrong and unacceptable. No debate needed and nothing to do with political correctness. Political correctness is a good thing too by the way.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    VDUBster wrote: »
    Wasn't really 'the workplace' was it...
    It was in a B&B, and in their downtime, they weren't working at the time. Hardly a workplace, even if it classed to be for legal reasons.

That's a weak excuse. It was work related. End of.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I have been waiting to see the BBC get a good kicking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't have to end it, all that need happen is that the franchise gets sold to Netflix, HBO, ITV or whoever thinks they can make a better job of it than the BBC.

Excuse me! >:( The purpose of the BBC is not to serve the private sector. The purpose of the BBC is to provide a public service for all. Doctor Who with adverts? No thanks. I would boycott it on principle.
  • Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    Them as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    One of my biggest fears from this government.

If they do scrap the licence fee and shrink the BBC as a result then they will have proven themselves as the crassest, most idiotic, mind blowingly stupid bunch of muppets ever to have been elected.

Cost of everything and value of nothing.

Get prepared to mobilise and campaign.

With you all the way mate. We are heading straight back to the 80s.

Fear not, only 36% of the electorate voted Tory...millions more love and back the Beeb. The Nasty Party have know idea what's coming to them. Woa betide them willingly setting out to damage our BBC. It is ours not theres.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »

And good old Maggie Thatcher. Oh and the NHS too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »
    BBC is a tax, shouldn't we decide which channels we want to pay to watch?
    It's a forced payment, without choice.
    Shouldn't we in today's multi-channel climate be able to pick and choose what we pay for?
    Not be forced by law to pay for a broadcaster!

No because the BBC is a public service and like all public services we should all contribute to it for the benefit of all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The Tories will do nothing as there isn't enough votes in it for them. They will bluster in the press to get good PR but they have more important things to do.

The supposed bias didn't stop them winning a majority and any fallout will not be worth the hassle. At best the increases to the licence fee may be frozen. In reality backroom deals will be done and the BBC will continue as usual.

The Tories are canny politicans as has been shown. They are not tin-foil hat wearing obsessives like the minority on the internet screaming for the licence fee to be dropped.

The Right have done enough damage to this country already which I haven't forgiven them for. They damage and ultimately destroy our BBC and our NHS, I will never ever forgive them.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Them as well.

And isn't it interesting that Whittingdale's half brother happens to be one too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...for covering-up peadophila.

Oh please. So the BBC is the only organisation / institution who has had issues with the above?

"...Covering-up..." - quite an accusation. Any evidence at all?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    BBC gave up any pretence of impartiality this election. Their decision to leak the debate discussions believing they could force Cameron to do as they wanted was just the start of it. It's not just Tory issue though is it. BBC feted Farage when they thought he was only a threat to Tories. When it was clear that they were damaging Labour they opened up on UKIP SNP alleged bias in Scotland as well.

Clearly public can see through it and Tories sense groundswell for BBC bias to be taken on.

A novel interpretation of events I see.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »

You clearly have a very fertile imagination!
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Doctor Who with adverts? No thanks. I would boycott it on principle.

You can watch adverts on many of the Bbc's 15 or so TV channels in the UK.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean the commercial channels on UKTV owned 50/50 by BBC Worldwide (which receives no LF funding) and Scripps?
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    No because the BBC is a public service and like all public services we should all contribute to it for the benefit of all.
    In that case it should realise its funded by a public tax and start spending the money a little less wastefully. A public service should be run efficiently for the public, not as some bloated self absorbed employment project. There is no reason why the licence fee cant be cut by a third without affecting output. Self interests are protecting the BBC. But fortunately we have a culture secretary willing to hold them to account
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    You mean the commercial channels on UKTV owned 50/50 by BBC Worldwide (which receives no LF funding) and Scripps?

Yup, although WW arguably indirectly recieves funding, or at least preferential/exclusive access to PSB content. But it does demonstrate the Bbc is larger than many people think, can sort of operate 'commercially' and could easily be cut back to a simpler PSB role with the rest merged with C4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    In that case it should realise its funded by a public tax and start spending the money a little less wastefully. A public service should be run efficiently for the public, not as some bloated self absorbed employment project. There is no reason why the licence fee cant be cut by a third without affecting output. Self interests are protecting the BBC. But fortunately we have a culture secretary willing to hold them to account

This whole 'waste' business is just a red herring. Do you have any hardcore evidence of so-called waste?

Quality costs. You take money out of the system and standards will fall which of course is what you want isn't it. It suits your anti-public service / anti-BBC agenda.

A well funded BBC = a private sector forced to bother. A strong BBC benefits UK broadcasting and the public more broadly.

Right-wingers have a real problem with successful / popular public services. Why?

Furthermore, this government was only voted for by 37% of the electorate. That is no mandate for them carry out a damaging offensive against the BBC. This government needs to look out. There will be trouble ahead.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With you all the way mate. We are heading straight back to the 80s.

Fear not, only 36% of the electorate voted Tory...millions more love and back the Beeb. The Nasty Party have know idea what's coming to them. Woa betide them willingly setting out to damage our BBC. It is ours not theres.

Agreeing with you is a rare occurrence but it illustrates how there is common cause and stout defenders of the BBC from right to left on the spectrum.

If the ghastly Whittingdale really thinks he can diminish the Corporation he will soon discover the free market ideologues and plebs who moan cos they only ever watch Bid-UP TV and resent paying the licence are out-numbered 3-1 by those who love the BBC and won't allow it to be threatened. And I know darn well which are the more eloquent.

There is much wrong with the BBC and I can be it's loudest critic. It is,. however, one of few institutions in the country that is genuinely unique and world class and only a government of philistines would mess with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd love you to tell me which ones. The last time I watched BBC1, 2, 3 or 4, I didn't see any. That's how it must remain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Furthermore, this government was only voted for by 37% of the electorate. That is no mandate for them carry out a damaging offensive against the BBC. This government needs to look out. There will be trouble ahead.

There's no mandate for them to carry out ANYTHING in their manifesto. Unless at some point we have a government with the decency to deal with our idiotic system it's something we have to live with, unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love you to tell me which ones. The last time I watched BBC1, 2, 3 or 4, I didn't see any. That's how it must remain.

I suspect the poster is referring to BBC promos, of which there are indeed, many. Not as many as C4 however.