The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad difference right now... The Queen (BBC1) versus Jeremy Kyle (ITV).
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its Friday, the weekend, only a saddo would be staring at a box early/mid evening. This is going to be the norm until mid september. We better get used to it. Nothing else to say really is there. ;-)

I'm sorry but EastEnders should not be under a 30% share against mediocre opposition - in those terms it's, yet again, lower than Emmerdale. The second Coronation Street's share, relatively speaking, is poor too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Friday, the weekend, only a saddo would be staring at a box early/mid evening. This is going to be the norm until mid september. We better get used to it. Nothing else to say really is there. ;-)

Only a saddo? So by estimate of number of people watching TV last night, more than 10 million people in this country are saddos then? Is that your claim?
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    But worth stressing over the course of its run several million people will have tuned in and many of these would have been curious about its comeback, so it was always going to do quite a bit better than than that.

Still did very well but if it comes back for a series I don't personally see it doing much more than about 2m. Last night's rating was driven by the fact it felt like an event and the fact that if you don't like BB, there was sod all else on.

In which case Channel 4 would be fools not to bring it back. They do need Chris Evans though. I'm not sure Grimmy would have the same effect, especially among some of the older audience.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DalianR wrote: »
    3.67m for TFI Friday!!
    Exceptional and well done to Channel 4 for winning its slot. I've not been Channel 4's biggest fan in recent years, but they do seem to be finding a few decent hits and maybe it's time to give this show a ten week run if Chris Evans can be persuaded to leave TOS.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very poor for the soaps last night, Corrie and EE in particular. Under a better producer EE does not seem to be making any strides in upping its ratings.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very poor for the soaps last night, Corrie and EE in particular. Under a better producer EE does not seem to be making any strides in upping its ratings.

Maybe because saint DTC isn't actually that great after all as many EE fans have realised in the months following the 30th anniversary.

Meanwhile the incompetence of the people working at the top of Corrie has been highlighted with a huge continuity blunder:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a652725/coronation-street-boss-admits-kevin-webster-script-blunder-we-made-a-mistake.html#~pfutZtfcf6PEIl
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those viewers for eastenders are never coming back. They have themselves to blame for the dire 2010-13 period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised soaps have declined, but I'm surprised how fast. It doesn't seem long ago when Corrie was regulary getting 8-9m every episode.

As we've seen, all the soaps continued low during the winter, now they've seen to have dropped off for the summer, so will we another trend this coming winter of those viewers also not returning?

You never hear anyone talk about soaps either, any more.
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Only a saddo? So by estimate of number of people watching TV last night, more than 10 million people in this country are saddos then? Is that your claim?

I should not have used the word saddo, but you do get my point. For anybody that was watching tv early/mid evening I apologise for any offence this may have caused. I hope there is not an ofcom investigation. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I'm sorry but EastEnders should not be under a 30% share against mediocre opposition - in those terms it's, yet again, lower than Emmerdale. The second Coronation Street's share, relatively speaking, is poor too.

I agree EE should never dip below 30%, but I think all the soaps are in a slow decline and you will see even CS dip to a low 30/32% and ED and EE regualry dip below the 30%. They will still remain one of the most watched shows, but figures will fall and rise slightly in the autumn winter months. The golden days are over and not coming back. We might get the odd big rise with special episodes, like EE live but apart from that no.:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised soaps have declined, but I'm surprised how fast. It doesn't seem long ago when Corrie was regulary getting 8-9m every episode.

As we've seen, all the soaps continued low during the winter, now they've seen to have dropped off for the summer, so will we another trend this coming winter of those viewers also not returning?

Apart from the Lucy reveal, no we don't. It is no longer water cooler tv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those viewers for eastenders are never coming back. They have themselves to blame for the dire 2010-13 period.

Indeed you are right Cindy. This is a lesson itv should learn and take Heed. CS have a default audience, but for how much longer?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills has put up some interesting figures for GMB this week in another thread:

Monday 650,000
    Tuesday 630,000
    Wednesday 600,000
    Thursday 565,000

No school holidays to blame either

BBC Breakfast is pottering along at 1.4 million
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders 5.2m Shocker!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I'm sure "EastEnders in crisis" will rear its head again at some point on this thread.

Your right I am sure it will, I think it already has, eyes looking up! :D but at least it will make some people happy. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    EastEnders 5.2m Shocker!

Don't say that, the BBC fans will be on your back!
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Maybe because saint DTC isn't actually that great after all as many EE fans have realised in the months following the 30th anniversary.

Meanwhile the incompetence of the people working at the top of Corrie has been highlighted with a huge continuity blunder:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a652725/coronation-street-boss-admits-kevin-webster-script-blunder-we-made-a-mistake.html#~pfutZtfcf6PEIl

The hot weather doesn't help but the soaps don't always help themselves. If you put on interesting episodes people will want to see them.

Coronation Street, for all its faults, can still get a substantial boost from a storyline. That doesn't happen often with EastEnders.

When you look at 2014 the only thing that boosted EastEnders to 8m was Lucy murder week and no other storyline had that effect. They threw EVERYTHING at EE and finally had a story that worked. Problem is that nothing else has. Corrie has fallen but it's still in a better place than EastEnders.

EastEnders really, really, REALLY needs Kathy back soon to see if that will boost it. Summer could be a damp squib for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That and post live week. EastEnders didn't keep any extra viewers with the episodes that followed. That and 2011-2013 with the dreadful Lorraine Newman at the helm have done so much damage to the show in terms of ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    EastEnders 5.2m Shocker!
    Don't say that, the BBC fans will be on your back!

I'm a BBC fan and EastEnders fan and I think that rating is a shocker. It's actually 5.3m when you round up but it's nothing to be happy about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That and post live week. EastEnders didn't keep any extra viewers with the episodes that followed. That and 2011-2013 with the dreadful Lorraine Newman at the helm have done so much damage to the show in terms of ratings.
    I didn't know what dtc and the team were thinking about puting those episode after the 30th anniversary. Eastenders was getting good ratings for the 30th anniversary and everything was good for them. Until they were putting boring episode after the 30th. They should have put good episodes so casual viewers can stick around but they have to start all over again to get good ratings and win past viewers.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if this time next year we'll see Emmerdale on 4 million and CS and EE on 5 million, as they seem to be losing a million viewers a year. People just don't seem bothered with these overkilled, miserable and badly acted shows.
    While I wouldn't say people never mention soaps now, CS, which was always the biggest soap round here, is lucky to be mentioned once a week at work now, whereas when I started during the Free Deirdre era it was mentioned every day.
  • Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Bushmills has put up some interesting figures for GMB this week in another thread:

Monday 650,000
    Tuesday 630,000
    Wednesday 600,000
    Thursday 565,000

No school holidays to blame either

BBC Breakfast is pottering along at 1.4 million

Are those figures inclusive of +1 and HD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMB = Going Miserably Bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GMB = Going Miserably Bad.
    Lol:D.
This discussion has been closed.