Options

Irritating advert (you know the one)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 798
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering if anyone else turned off their radio when the advert for a certain company that promises to purchase your car comes on?

I do everytime and if we all did this the radio stations would surely have to pull it, as other advertisers would know that if they were scheduled afterwards their puff would go unheard.

Comments

• Options
    radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hewjars wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else turned off their radio when the advert for a certain company that promises to purchase your car comes on?

I do everytime and if we all did this the radio stations would surely have to pull it, as other advertisers would know that if they were scheduled afterwards their puff would go unheard.

If the stations are getting money from the ad, then I doubt they would pull it.

If anyone is to blame, then its the producers of the ad, not the broadcasters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    If the stations are getting money from the ad, then I doubt they would pull it.

If anyone is to blame, then its the producers of the ad, not the broadcasters.

Or surely the producers are to be rewarded - these adverts always appear from time to time.

So annoying that people love to hate them - becomes water cooler chat - and wait a minute - a whole new thread in DS about it.

Its annoying ,but given the spate of adverts from companies trying to buy my old mobile phone and all of my unwanted gold - they needed a different approach.

As terrible as it is - it works
  • Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be worse than the one they keep runing on Kiss

""myyy bodddy... my boobies... my breasts!!"

Sang to a cheesy jingle. Spat my tea out first time I heard that!
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    First rule of advertising - if it's too stupid to say it, sing it.

The more catchy/annoying it is the more recall it'll get. I'm sure we all remember favourites from ILRs of old. "Coldseal windows we're the best double two double one double five..."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd wager that webuyanycar dot com is or will be one of the most successful radio advertising campaigns of all time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And it's not the producer who should be rewarded, it's the copywriter.
  • Options
    trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First rule of advertising - if it's too stupid to say it, sing it.

The more catchy/annoying it is the more recall it'll get. I'm sure we all remember favourites from ILRs of old. "Coldseal windows we're the best double two double one double five..."

That advert was the reason I stopped listening to Leicester Sound, in fact I don't listen to commercial radio ever. Radio adverts are just so annoying. TV ads can be dealt with by Sky+.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trigpoint wrote: »
    That advert was the reason I stopped listening to Leicester Sound, in fact I don't listen to commercial radio ever. Radio adverts are just so annoying. TV ads can be dealt with by Sky+.

Yet you still remember it even though the company went bust years ago. 1-0 to the advertiser (though 1-1 on aggergate I guess, since you can no longer buy their services).
  • Options
    trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet you still remember it even though the company went bust years ago. 1-0 to the advertiser (though 1-1 on aggergate I guess, since you can no longer buy their services).
    However I never bought anything from them, and the ad was enough to ensure I never did. Maybe I'm not the only one, which is perhaps why they went bust.

Maybe the fact I remember it is a plus for the advertising company, but a complete fail in that I never bought the companies products.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is it 1-0 to the advertiser? Surely if the company went bust, the advert manifestly didn't do it's job (IE produce more sales) ?

I don't buy this idea that if you remember it, the advert has done it's job. Any advertising campaign has to increase sales, if it just gets on everyone's t*ts to the extent they actively seek a competitor that is a bad thing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I'd go compare on any website other than gocompare.com......just can't stand those ads...I suppose thats just the downside of commercial radio, we don't have to like it but they (the radio stations) have to pay the bills.
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really, really hate the advert in the OP and always switch over when I hear it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adverts on the radio? Are there such things? Never heard one. :)
  • Options
    Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy this idea that if you remember it, the advert has done it's job. Any advertising campaign has to increase sales, if it just gets on everyone's t*ts to the extent they actively seek a competitor that is a bad thing?

I do buy into the argument that if its remembered then its done its job. The advert is there to increase awareness of the brand/product so that if you're in the situation where you need the service that they provide their name will be the first one that pops into your head. If that happens then the advert has done its job.

Of course you'd expect that to lead to increased sales and it usually would but once you make the call to that company then the ad has worked.

Of course there are plenty of memorable ads that don't work but thats becuse they are not clear enough about the product and what is being sold. The we buy anycar one sadly does all of this and I agree will be a very successfull campaign.

Anoying yes it is and its even worse if you're playing it 5 times a show but for the radio station in repeat business it'll work far better than the crap voice to bed "come and see us at such and such a place" type of ads that usually fill up ad breaks.
  • Options
    Sesay2000Sesay2000 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "We'll be 118 434! We'll be 118 434. We'll be 118, 118, we'll be 118 434! 434!"
  • Options
    TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alex_fife wrote: »
    Or surely the producers are to be rewarded - these adverts always appear from time to time.

So annoying that people love to hate them - becomes water cooler chat - and wait a minute - a whole new thread in DS about it.

Its annoying ,but given the spate of adverts from companies trying to buy my old mobile phone and all of my unwanted gold - they needed a different approach.

As terrible as it is - it works

Yes it may work as far as a lot of people remembering them. But really its not a complete success until people start using the companies services. I reckon a small fraction of those who get these slogans stuck in their heads actually go out and use these companies.

I personally wouldn't touch WBAC with a barge pole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is it 1-0 to the advertiser? Surely if the company went bust, the advert manifestly didn't do it's job (IE produce more sales) ?

That's why I qualified it with a 1-1 draw at the end. However, during the late 80s and early 90s Coldseal was a massive company. Their vans were everywhere. I think maybe the bottom fell out of the double glazing market as most new build homes already have it.

The ad writers came up with a whole host of nursery rhymes and the company would often ask for two slots back to back just so they could repeat the same advert over and over. Deeply irritating, but ultimately memorable.

Now simply repeating the name of a product doesn't mean it's any good, but as others have said, it's the first name that ops into your head. Yes, some people might say "I switch off every time I hear it" or "I will NEVER use their website" - which is frankly nonsense. And go into any pub tonight and somewhere you'll probably hear someone discussing Go Compare and - if they've had a few drinks - singing the jingle.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always remember 'wilma, wilma windowssssssssssssssssss'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    i always remember 'wilma, wilma windowssssssssssssssssss'

Signal Radio will never be the same :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    118 247 gets on my nerves too.

Didn't mean to post twice then, I shall blame the computer :mad:
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Webuyanycar.com
    GoCompare
    DVLA
    T-Mobile
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    118 434 and that bloody Maureen!!

Cringeworthy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Sesay2000 wrote: »

Wrong words mate! It's 'She'll be 118 434...' etc. etc.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the webuyanycar advert but hate the GoCompare one arrrgh
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sesay2000 wrote: »

I voiced those ads. ;)