Options

Software update + Anytime Problems (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
Forum Member
Hi all

Just to let you know we are about to start the new software roll out

http://www1.sky.com/opensourcesoftware/SkyHD/

Comments

• Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know. Any news on how the trials have been going?
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does that mean we should expect Anytime+ to be launched sometime soon
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    So does that mean we should expect Anytime+ to be launched sometime soon

Probably Spring 2011/2012/2013/2014*

* delete as appropriate :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Any idea if theres going to be a change to the way the last/favorites button works?

I only recently upgraded to HD and find it a bit annoying how it goes back to the last channel and continues from there, when instead it should go to last then continue from the current channel you're on, a simple issue i know but the way it works now is less useful as you skip back in the epg and have to press it a lot just to see past where you are.

If you have any contact with sky please let them know, here's a thread discussing it, cheers! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Magneto wrote: »
    Any idea if theres going to be a change to the way the last/favorites button works?

I only recently upgraded to HD and find it a bit annoying how it goes back to the last channel and continues from there, when instead it should go to last then continue from the current channel you're on, a simple issue i know but the way it works now is less useful as you skip back in the epg and have to press it a lot just to see past where you are.

If you have any contact with sky please let them know, here's a thread discussing it, cheers! :)

Really spooky, just said that on the EPG thread !:eek: Worst bit of the (otherwise great) new epg for me....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Harrowing wrote: »
    Really spooky, just said that on the EPG thread !:eek: Worst bit of the (otherwise great) new epg for me....

Yeah it's really the only thing i have a problem with and one that i suspect is easy to fix without having to remove the 'last' functionality!
  • Options
    technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deano_sky wrote: »
    Hi all

Do you know if the Thomson Sky HD boxes are going to get this new software?

Or are SKY dropping support for these boxes?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    It's good to know when new software is expected, but it would be far more useful to have a list of the actual updates that are being implemented.
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

What "new software rollout out" are you talking about?

The link you supplied has been available for weeks, if not months.

As far as i can recall that link originated when Sky included some Open Source code into their HD software (some months ago and well before the Anytime+ launch was announced), Sky were legally obliged to inform subscribers of the Open Source license.

It makes no reference to any "new software rollout out". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Restorer wrote: »
    Good to know. Any news on how the trials have been going?

The trials have been going really well on both the new software and the anytime +. Nothing really major has gone wrong so far (crosses fingers) :)
    Batch wrote: »
    Probably Spring 2011/2012/2013/2014*

* delete as appropriate :)

The updates started rolling out from the 26th Aug, and are on going. I think its Staff and VIP on Amstrad first and then working down the list.

As for anytime + going live...October is the penciled date I can see here in front of me.
    technoguy wrote: »
    Do you know if the Thomson Sky HD boxes are going to get this new software?

Or are SKY dropping support for these boxes?

Thanks.

As far as I know Sky will continue to support all HD boxes in the field.
    Clatter wrote: »
    It's good to know when new software is expected, but it would be far more useful to have a list of the actual updates that are being implemented.

The purpose of the new product is to refresh our STB software and provide a platform that is more suitable for future developments (e.g. improved VOD capability in Sky Anytime+).
    Doddie wrote: »
    What "new software rollout out" are you talking about?

The link you supplied has been available for weeks, if not months.

As far as i can recall that link originated when Sky included some Open Source code into their HD software (some months ago and well before the Anytime+ launch was announced), Sky were legally obliged to inform subscribers of the Open Source license.

It makes no reference to any "new software rollout out". :rolleyes:

We are moving from EPG1.5.5 Software to Darwin. I think that is what you call "new software rollout"
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are moving from EPG1.5.5 Software to Darwin. I think that is what you call "new software rollout"

Software evolution.

Thanks though, fairly useful info.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The purpose of the new product is to refresh our STB software and provide a platform that is more suitable for future developments (e.g. improved VOD capability in Sky Anytime+)"
    Quick question, and I understand if you'd prefer not to answer if it's classified info!

Is the Sky Anytime+ system a direct download service? As in, do all downloads come directly from a sky server? Or is it based on P2P distribution?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quick question, and I understand if you'd prefer not to answer if it's classified info!

Is the Sky Anytime+ system a direct download service? As in, do all downloads come directly from a sky server? Or is it based on P2P distribution?

As far as I know its still P2P. The previous Kontiki software on the current Anytime works using a peer-assisted format, and it will probably be the same on the new software and format for anytime +

Manly due to the cost factor and that its more cost effective.

I can't personally see any reasons to change from the P2P format. Most VoD's use the format with out faults.

Would be interested to know why you asked though :)
  • Options
    Gina CaranoGina Carano Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Will it fix the Pace picture break up problem and the low sound?
  • Options
    crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Will it add pillarboxing to 4:3 pictures over HDMI so they can be viewed in 16:9 in the correct aspect size?

2) Will it reinstate the volume adjustment of the HD box?

3) Will it sharpen up the SD pictures or add picture tweaks such as sharpness and tint?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know its still P2P. The previous Kontiki software on the current Anytime works using a peer-assisted format, and it will probably be the same on the new software and format for anytime +

I can't personally see any reasons to change from the P2P format. Most VoD's use the format with out faults.

The current Anytime service is direct download from satellite. Sky Player works on Kontiki P2P software. Are you getting confused?
  • Options
    mat.ralphmat.ralph Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mat.ralph wrote: »
    The question related to Anytime+ which supplements the current Anytime satellite downloads with pull VOD via the net.

Are you getting the two confused?

Try reading his reply
    Anytime is NOT peer-assisted it is a direct download from satellite and has no P2P content. Anytime+ is the new VOD and will probably be P2P assisted as is Sky Player.
  • Options
    mat.ralphmat.ralph Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try reading his reply

I did read again and realised my mistake, apologies.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Darwin was the name Sky and NDS gave to the Anytime+ project. It was mentioned in last years annual report.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great.... and I was just getting used to very reliable recording.... :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member

Those of us on Virgin Media for broadband may get hit by Shaped Traffic Management (STM) when Anytime+ is opened to other ISPs. It's not so much how much you download but how much you upload before VM hit you with STM and drop your broadband speed to 1/4 for the next 12 hours or so. Both are taken into account but the last time I was hit it was for uploading (torrenting the episodes of Heroes my V+ had not recorded for no reason) as it has a lower threshold.

Strikes me as Sky missing an oportunity BTW with Anytime+ by not including other ISPs in the aunch. Let your customers download off someone else's network - I would have thought they'd have jumped at the chance rather than having to upgrade their network first to take the strain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    Darwin was the name Sky and NDS gave to the Anytime+ project. It was mentioned in last years annual report.

Darwin is actually the base Linux operating system that Mac OSX is written on top of. Darwin can be downloaded freely (google it), and is basically a Linux OS.

That makes sense, as the new software rollout is all about making use of some new open source software that Sky feel will benefit the development of the SKY HD platform. Linux itself is OpenSource, as is a lot of the software developed for it.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Darwin mentioned in the rollout, is actually a Linux implementation for Sky HD.

Glenn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One other thing id expect to see other than the last/favorites issue fixed is the option to limit the amount of bandwidth used downloading stuff and be able to schedule downloads to happen at night.

Also have they considered allowing over the air downloads, like anytime but instead you can choose what you want, this way things can come down faster with a mixed Internet and air download, i imagine the system would be transmitting chunks of data 24/7 for all the most popular stuff, you could get the start quicker using the net but the rest is helped along from satellite transmission.
  • Options
    crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the "blue bars" issue on SkyHD/HDMI with ITV2 is fixed, and also the black bars left and right (resulting in a slightly squashed picture) on several channels showing 4:3 material on HDMI at 1080i such as GOLD.