Options

Mini - A Life Revisted (1975) - BBC4 Tues 10PM

pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
Forum Member
✭✭
Apologies if already a thread but couldnt find one. Caught a clip of this on the one show yesterday and looks very interesting.

"First broadcast in 1975, this provocative documentary about an 11-year-old serial arsonist shocked millions across the UK. Michael 'Mini' Cooper had already torched a church and set his family home ablaze with his violent father asleep upstairs. The film follows the angelic looking 'Mini' over a gruelling three-week period in a young offenders home in County Durham, as social workers and psychiatrists quiz and probe the charismatic and intelligent tearaway as they determine his future.
Franc Roddam's film has a simplicity and directness that captivates whilst never shying away from the seriousness of the situation. Roddam would go onto find fame in Hollywood, but nearly 40 years on remains close friends with Cooper, who has spent most of his life in and out of jail, care, mental health units and halfway houses.
Cooper has channelled his experiences into a revealing new book 'Mini and Me' and the programme also sees both Franc Roddam and Mini Cooper in conversation with Alan Yentob."

Comments

• Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He must have been a nasty lil bugger, eh?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'm watching, this will be interesting, very brave of 'Mini' to make an appearance later on.

I hate the Devil, nice cheery songs they teach you at Sunday School.
    I can see why they filmed him, he's a rather compelling little character, which is rather at odds with what he says and things he's done.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    God, I'm about the same age as him and I remember the terrible jumpers we had to wear then too.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This programme is extraordinary
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    He must have been a nasty lil bugger, eh?

No he wasn't. He was a victim of circumstance.

I actually gave this my full attention, and found the film fascinating. Such an independant bright little boy - what a pity his talents weren't channelled in a more useful direction. He wasn't bad - compelled, I think, to do what he did. His father was a terrible bully, and his mother well meaning but under her husband's control. :mad:
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had his self belief, confidence and cheerfulness knocked out of him...along with his Geordie accent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I was in the same school as him, and there around the same time, it has lived with me all my life, and I slowly managed to turn my life around, a lot of children there should not have been there and ended up in places institutionised , it did shock the nation at the time
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I found this really sad. A bright, eloquent eleven year old had his childhood taken from him and locked away. The end when he was told he would not be going home was heartbreaking.

It was interesting to watch the follow up from 1985 on the red button.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Though what Mini had done was wrong, at the age of 11 he would not have fully realised the ramifications of his deeds. What needed was information, not institution. This is the tragedy of people in authority ruining a child's life, by putting him into a situation that was infinitely worse than what he was in before.

This reminds me of the insane asylums back in the days, when people had little mental care, were abandoned by society, and ultimately ill prepared for reintegration when they do leave those places. Mini was not an incurable case, and if only he was allowed to discover an alternative outlet to his expressions, he could have been a productive and a much happier person.

When Mini was told about being put into an institution, just like every other interview in the film, he took the news quietly and calmly. But this was still just a small 11-year old boy, and you see him not being able to stop the tears rolling down his childish cheeks. It was absolutely and utterly heartbreaking.

It is therefore so great to see that Michael Cooper the man has finally managed to regain some part of his confidence. I'll be very interested in reading his autobiography, and wish him all the best in his future ventures in life.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I found it heart breaking. He was such a bright and engaging little boy and you could see something die inside him when he was told he wouldn't be going home. I wonder if, nowadays, they would have been able to help him without keeping him locked away from the community for so many years?

I missed the beginning of the programme and didn't realise his father was a bully. He seemed very fond of Mini and very involved with him.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the preview on The One Show but not watched my recording of the programme yet.

I could not understand how the film crew were allowed such access to the case at the time.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this was an amazing documentary , I'd never seen it before . does anyone know if its repeated ? I'd like to record it .
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Intelligent and articulate lad who now appears to be a pretty stable guy. Anyone else notice how his accent has been entirely 'lost'? That can't be blamed on circumstances either as Roddam came from the same area as 'Mini'.
    daisydee wrote: »
    His father was a terrible bully, and his mother well meaning but under her husband's control. :mad:
    What gave you that impression? :confused:
    Or do you personally know his parents?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rxlcrab wrote: »
    Though what Mini had done was wrong, at the age of 11 he would not have fully realised the ramifications of his deeds. What needed was information, not institution. This is the tragedy of people in authority ruining a child's life, by putting him into a situation that was infinitely worse than what he was in before.

This reminds me of the insane asylums back in the days, when people had little mental care, were abandoned by society, and ultimately ill prepared for reintegration when they do leave those places. Mini was not an incurable case, and if only he was allowed to discover an alternative outlet to his expressions, he could have been a productive and a much happier person.

When Mini was told about being put into an institution, just like every other interview in the film, he took the news quietly and calmly. But this was still just a small 11-year old boy, and you see him not being able to stop the tears rolling down his childish cheeks. It was absolutely and utterly heartbreaking.

It is therefore so great to see that Michael Cooper the man has finally managed to regain some part of his confidence. I'll be very interested in reading his autobiography, and wish him all the best in his future ventures in life.

I knew right from wrong aged 8.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member

Probably because you were taught right from wrong by people who cared for you and gave you the correct environment to grow up in.
  • Options
    LancslassLancslass Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Heart breaking to watch. I have two little grandsons and couldn`t bear to think they would ever suffer like little Michael.
    I felt I wanted to give him a hug and go back in time and put it right!! Silly I know.
    If the autobiography is written as well as he speaks it will be a spectacular read.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

It was a bit more complex than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Intelligent and articulate lad who now appears to be a pretty stable guy. Anyone else notice how his accent has been entirely 'lost'? That can't be blamed on circumstances either as Roddam came from the same area as 'Mini'.

What gave you that impression? :confused:
    Or do you personally know his parents?
    Simply by watching - the father was very domineering and the description by Mini of how his father beat him, yet his mother, seemingly, didn't stop the punishment, as it happened so often.
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Probably because you were taught right from wrong by people who cared for you and gave you the correct environment to grow up in .
    I got the impression the problems started when Mini had to stay with an Aunt when his mother was having her 4th child. I wonder if the reasons were fully explained to him? I get the impression he felt a little abandoned. We tend to forget that children can't rationalise like adults.
    Lancslass wrote: »
    Heart breaking to watch. I have two little grandsons and couldn`t bear to think they would ever suffer like little Michael.
    I felt I wanted to give him a hug and go back in time and put it right!! Silly I know.
    If the autobiography is written as well as he speaks it will be a spectacular read.
    Yes, I felt like that too - hind sight is a wonderful thing.
    It was a bit more complex than that.

Yes it was, If I could go back in time, I would have done things differently in regard to my own children.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Simply by watching - the father was very domineering and the description by Mini of how his father beat him, yet his mother, seemingly, didn't stop the punishment, as it happened so often.

Assumption on your part, I'd say, that his Mother would have objected if she wasn't dominated by the Dad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Assumption on your part, I'd say, that his Mother would have objected if she wasn't dominated by the Dad.

That's exactly my assumption. He came across as domineering and she came across as quite docile.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If by "beating" you mean smacking back then children were disciplined that way and yes, his Father was a disciplinarian (being ex-Forces he would be well used to firm discipline). I didn't hear 'Mini' describe his Father beating him up. Perhaps you can note at which part in the documentary this was said?

I'm not going to go down the well trodden and worn out route of 'smacking is beating' argument because we both really know there is a vast difference between the two.
  • Options
    alkrington girlalkrington girl Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    If by "beating" you mean smacking back then children were disciplined that way and yes, his Father was a disciplinarian (being ex-Forces he would be well used to firm discipline). I didn't hear 'Mini' describe his Father beating him up. Perhaps you can note at which part in the documentary this was said?

I'm not going to go down the well trodden and worn out route of 'smacking is beating' argument because we both really know there is a vast difference between the two.

It was said in the documentary that mini's father punched him. Mini felt that this was wrong and he would have accepted being
    Smacked. This psychologist also talked to Mini about his father trying to strangle his mother when they were in the car. This did not appear to be the first time this had happened. The parents admitted to arguing. Which is a classic understatement.
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could relate a lot to when he was in his twenties and describing what it was like being institutionalised. A bright kid who wasn't really heard or understood. Its a sinister, cynical world in there where you are taught to doubt everything about yourself. He had his own mind as a kid and would always struggle in the place he was put in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    70% of children were from broken or violent homes, the head of psychology dr Hoghuni was considered the best in his field for understanding these children , unfortunately other powers to be did not always see that , hence why MIni went to moss side unit