Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Red Button BBC & BBC 3

Thank you.
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    It's about time women's football got some decent TV coverage. The female game has been sorely neglected by the TV companies, mostly on the grounds that they perceive nobody wants to watch it.

I hope England do well. Us girls might just show the men's team how to win football matches just like we have in other sports.

The England women's rugby team are currently world champions and our women cricketers won their world cup and T20 world cup in 2009.

Go England women. Let's show the men how to win at football too...!!!
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I took a punt and went to the final of the women's Olympic football and it was great. Japan were far better technically than the USA but their keeper was about 5 foot tall whereas the USA had a giant in goal. The crowd were neutral for a while, then started supporting Japan.
    It was really technically excellent football. I'm going to watch the World Cup. Just wonder who is going to turn up for FIFA!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very much looking forward to it starting tomorrow, always liked the women play, and FINALLY no more idiotic talk about that moron lawyer and playing on artificial surfaces!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be a great tournament, I think it is wide open as to who will win it, there are some great sides, for me, if I had to pick one, it would be France, but it could be Germany or USA.

How England do against France will give us a good idea how far away (or close) we are to the very best.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's about time women's football got some decent TV coverage. The female game has been sorely neglected by the TV companies, mostly on the grounds that they perceive nobody wants to watch it.

I hope England do well. Us girls might just show the men's team how to win football matches just like we have in other sports.

The England women's rugby team are currently world champions and our women cricketers won their world cup and T20 world cup in 2009.

Go England women. Let's show the men how to win at football too...!!!

The thing is you yourself have just compared the womans game to the mens game. Its exactly the kind of thing that I think is best avoided.

How exactly are the women going to show the men's team anything?
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I would punt for France if I was betting. Germany and the USA have key injuries whereas France haven't. All three of those teams, generally thought to be the top 3, are all on one side of the draw. England is in the group with France which could be a blessing as it could see us to the "weaker" side for the knockout stages. Sweden is a dark horse.

England has some attacking talent up front but Sampson doesn't make use of it with his conservative tactics. I hope to be proven wrong but I don't expect England to make it further than the Quarters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that no one is talking about the current holders, Japan, I don't think that they will hold onto their trophy, but they might provide us with some good matches along the way.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that no one is talking about the current holders, Japan, I don't think that they will hold onto their trophy, but they might provide us with some good matches along the way.

You know a lot about Japanese women's football then Batdude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know a lot about Japanese women's football then Batdude.

No, not at all, I know that one player plays over here in the WSL for Chelsea I think it is, and from what I saw of them at the last World Cup, which was an exciting team with very good technically players.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the fact that I think women football is completely dreadful I think as there is an entire tournament on TV I will at least try to catch a game to see if I'm being unfair or if people are bugging this up for no reason at all.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the fact that I think women football is completely dreadful I think as there is an entire tournament on TV I will at least try to catch a game to see if I'm being unfair or if people are bugging this up for no reason at all.
    I've tried watching the ladies' internationals but the skill level and pace of the game is not quite there yet to make the matches an exciting spectacle. That's not to say that there are not some individual players who would shame some of the men professionals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's a good idea to show the tournament. When I was younger we never had such programs and girls like myself was deterred from the game.

I know of a number girls in primary school who play football, at least two of them has said they aspire to become a footballer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »
    I actually think it's a good idea to show the tournament. When I was younger we never had such programs and girls like myself was deterred from the game.

I know of a number girls in primary school who play football, at least two of them has said they aspire to become a footballer.

Serious question here.

Would you (or you as a child) be inspired by seeing the women game on TV or if the standard was much worse than the football you would normally watch on TV would it actually leave you feeling downhearted?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serious question here.

Would you (or you as a child) be inspired by seeing the women game on TV or if the standard was much worse than the football you would normally watch on TV would it actually leave you feeling downhearted?

No it wouldn't leave me downhearted. If games had have been shown when I was younger I would thought it was possible to play the game and even have a career. More women shown playing the game then it does encourage the possibilities.

Usain Bolt is the fastest man in the world, one could say women's athletics is not on par with the men. But how many girls have been inspired by Jessica Ennis?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »
    No it wouldn't leave me downhearted. If games had have been shown when I was younger I would thought it was possible to play the game and even have a career. More women shown playing the game then it does encourage the possibilities.

Usain Bolt is the fastest man in the world, one could say women's athletics is not on par with the men. But how many girls have been inspired by Jessica Ennis?

Fair enough I just wondered. I can see how it could be inspiring to see other females succeeding in an area that you may want to pursue.

I don't think an athletics comparison stands up as a spectacle but I would agree that Ennis would be more of an inspiration to girls than Bolt.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching it, its football, and Toni Duggan :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I've tried watching the ladies' internationals but the skill level and pace of the game is not quite there yet to make the matches an exciting spectacle. That's not to say that there are not some individual players who would shame some of the men professionals.

Women's football is much improved from say a decade ago. I thought the standard and entertainment value of the last women's World Cup was good. I don't really see the point in comparing it to the men's game to be honest. Men's sport vs women's sport. Different context and different kettle of sharks.

Having said that the tournament has expanded to include more teams and several of the lower ranked teams may be well over matched in some cases. I'm not looking forward to those and I don't think these encounters will be the best advertisement for women's football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women's football is much improved from say a decade ago. I thought the standard and entertainment value of the last women's World Cup was good. I don't really see the point in comparing it to the men's game to be honest. Men's sport vs women's sport. Different context and different kettle of sharks.

You have to compare it to the mens game though because most people have no vested interest in Womens Football so will just judge it on it merits as a game of football on tv in comparison to any other game of football on tv.

I find the idea of watching the game with "ah well its only women so i can't expect much" in the back of mind to be extremely patronising, so I will judge it simply as a game of football, and every time I have done this I have found the standard to be terribly low.

I have no doubt that it is improving and that in time it will get better but that doesn't justify it getting mainstream coverage as it stands.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does our women's team have a dismal penalty shootout record to match the men?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I find the idea of watching the game with "ah well its only women so i can't expect much" in the back of mind to be extremely patronising,

Well that is not what I meant... but hey ho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that is not what I meant... but hey ho.

How else can you mean it?

You are making allowances for the lack of quality because of the gender of those that are playing.

It may well improve as the years go by but that is not relevant to the game on display on mainstream TV at the time.