Options

People who sit on shoulders at open air gigs.

JJ2005JJ2005 Posts: 5,188
Forum Member
I am just watching a recording of Live8 and there are quite a few, mainly girls, sitting on the shoulders of friends. What do the people immediately behind think when they have their view blocked?

I went to the Bruce Springsteen concert at Crystal Palace two years ago and we were about in the middle of the arena. In front of me there was a man who had his young son on his shoulders for ¾ of the concert and he was exactly in my line of sight to centre stage. I was not close enough to ask him to move, and moving to the side was not an easy option.

OK, it did not spoil the concert much but I did end up watching the monitors rather than the stage for a lot of the time.

I realise that a four foot kid would see nothing if he just stood, and no doubt his dad wanted him to share a fantastic concert. But the girls on shoulders at Live8 would get a good view if they just stood up normally.

What do you think? Am I a party pooper who should just accept it? Or is it something that bugs you as well?

Maybe it is OK for a few minutes but ¾ of the concert is too much?

Comments please. :)

Comments

• Options
    keli77keli77 Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you, at live 8 my mate sat on my brothers shoulders but it was for 1 min, just to get a pic of Robbie! I have to say though, as a girl, i can sorta understand why they get up there, I could barely see the screens at live 8 let alone anyone on stage & we were within the 1st quarter of the crowd!!! You gotta have some thought for the people around you though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of my pet hates! i am only five foot and can't see a lot at open air gigs unless i am at the front and i would never dream of going on someone's shoulders as i'm very conscious of blocking people's views behind me

also flag flying people-idiots!

3/4 of a concert is WAY too much- 5 minutes ok,more than that is just plain rude!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be picked off by a sniper situated on the speaker stacks... inconsiderate morons.
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaye wrote:
    one of my pet hates! i am only five foot and can't see a lot at open air gigs unless i am at the front and i would never dream of going on someone's shoulders as i'm very conscious of blocking people's views behind me

Take a pogo stick next time ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not take some step ladders with you, if you can't beat them join them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the last open-air concert I went to- Snow Patrol in Killarney, last Friday- all shoulder-sitters were ordered down by crowd control. That was a nice change. Although we were front row, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be an unspoken rule that shoulder sitting was only allowed if you were female and topless.

No-one seems to respect this rule anymore. :(
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ2005 wrote:
    I am just watching a recording of Live8 and there are quite a few, mainly girls, sitting on the shoulders of friends. What do the people immediately behind think when they have their view blocked?

What do you think? Am I a party pooper who should just accept it? Or is it something that bugs you as well?

Maybe it is OK for a few minutes but ¾ of the concert is too much?

Comments please. :)

I think your a party pooper, lets face it nothing over the size of a size 10 can be carried for long period's of time so it just highlight's the totty for us, :)
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Anyone sat on shoulders for a unacceptable amount of time is fair game for a hefty shove in the back by my rules.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be ridiculous ....sniper rifles ... hefty shoves in the back that's inhuman..... now a fully functioning heavy duty chain saw ................:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    another pet hate at gigs...people who seem to watch the whole show through a mobile camera phone screen :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    What next? Will you be moaning about people dancing at gigs and maybe bumping into you. I only think this has come up because of the large amount of outdoor gigs at the moment, but its pretty much always happened.

At a large (or small for that matter) gig its every man (or woman) for themselves and you're going to have to live with it.
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaye wrote:

also flag flying people-idiots!

3/4 of a concert is WAY too much- 5 minutes ok,more than that is just plain rude!

I'm five foot, and can guarantee that either the tallest man in the whole world usually wearing a tall hat and stack heels will come and stand in front of me. I usually tap them on the back, smile sweetly and ask them to move - and 9 times out of 10 they usually oblige. Maybe us shorties should be automatically allowed to the front - ;)

But - agree shoulder sitting and flag flying is a total pain. Been at loads of concerts where the shoulder sitters have had plastic bottles thrown at them - some containing 'liquid' which usually encourages them to get down. Whilst I don't necessarily condone the bottle chucking, I think the shoulder sitters should have more consideration.

Anyway - now I always take one of those kiddie steps with me (like the ones you can get in Mothercare for kids to stand on to reach the sink with - ) - only takes me up another few inches, so makes me about 5' 4" - much more respectable height - and amazing how much more you can see up there.
  • Options
    SchoolboySchoolboy Posts: 2,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    submitted by error
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeanie wrote:
    I'm five foot, and can guarantee that either the tallest man in the whole world usually wearing a tall hat and stack heels will come and stand in front of me. I usually tap them on the back, smile sweetly and ask them to move - and 9 times out of 10 they usually oblige. Maybe us shorties should be automatically allowed to the front - ;)

agreed!

Jeanie wrote:
    Anyway - now I always take one of those kiddie steps with me (like the ones you can get in Mothercare for kids to stand on to reach the sink with - ) - only takes me up another few inches, so makes me about 5' 4" - much more respectable height - and amazing how much more you can see up there.

what a fantastic idea :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at 6'7" i don't have much of a problem seeing stuff at the front of a large crowd. but you will be glad to know that anyone asking to get on my shoulders will be told to piss off. :)
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joemelling wrote:
    at 6'7" i don't have much of a problem seeing stuff at the front of a large crowd. but you will be glad to know that anyone asking to get on my shoulders will be told to piss off. :)

6'7" - :eek:

Aha! So you're the guy that always comes and stands in front of me!!! - ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yup - thats me. now i'm just going picking my oversized novelty cowboy hat for the next gig we end up at. lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luvsnail wrote:
    There used to be an unspoken rule that shoulder sitting was only allowed if you were female and topless.

No-one seems to respect this rule anymore. :(

Don't forget the other proviso, you must be at least halfway decent looking. No one wants some minger with miserable tits bouncing away up there. Thats no fun at all.

I agree though, bring back the topless girls! :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    may all who sit on shoulders get
    extremely sore piles :p unless yer luvly and got yer jugglies out :D
  • Options
    JJ2005JJ2005 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    luvsnail wrote:
    There used to be an unspoken rule that shoulder sitting was only allowed if you were female and topless. :(
    I wouldn't mind that too much but...

If you are behind, all you see is her naked back. Nice but not fantastic.

If you are in front you will either not notice or you will look a total perv if you turn around and look at her instead of the band on the stage. :D

It is good for a filmed gig when the camera zooms in. :D
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget the other proviso, you must be at least halfway decent looking. No one wants some minger with miserable tits bouncing away up there.

You may have opened a legal loophole by using 'halfway decent'. Some mingers could chance employing a no win-no fee muppet ( or use legal aid) to confirm their upper half is in someway acceptable, but only during (assisted) handstands.

I think a more detailed disecton of the important factors in this precedent is required. I will gratefully accept all non minger photos of breasts for a scientific approach to the 'best concert' experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ2005 wrote:
    If you are in front you will either not notice or you will look a total perv if you turn around and look at her instead of the band on the stage. :D

I'd probably turn around and stare. Not for my own benefit, but I love it when people do stupid things just to get attention. I love focussing all of my attention on them until they realise that attention isn't so nice after all. :D

Yes, I really am that sad. :(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the tallest man in the whole world

When I went to see Will Young at Eastleigh last summer, I had a great view with a group of smallish people in front of me (I'm only 5'2") and then this moron came and stood right in front of me. I tapped him on the shoulder and told him to get back behind me. "I've been here since 8 o'clock", he moaned. "So what", I said. "I've been here since 5.30! Get behind me". He did go behind me but the woman who WAS behind me made him go further back and he finished up several rows back. This was in the marquee!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ think that funny do you? go to the bar and get some beer crates next time, titch.