Options

KFC - halal only?

Comments

• Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I agree that non-religious and religious methods of slaughter should both require stunning.

The good news is that around 90% of Halal slaughter does involve pre-stunning animals:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urlblob&blobheader=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=RSPCABlob&blobwhere=1109267162636&ssbinary=true

As far as I know, we have no figures for this after 2004. Maybe the % has remained at 90%, maybe it's even higher. However we don't actually know, and it could've gone the other way too. As we both agree - one law for all would be best.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an ignorant thing to say. Firstly, most people clearly couldn't care less, because KFC looks busy when I walk past it, so it's not 'pandering' because it doesn't hurt the consumer at all and secondly, all halal means is slaughtered in a slightly different way. If people cared about animal cruelty, they wouldn't eat at KFC ever.

You wouldn't care less about this if Islam wasn't involved. Take your daily fail attitude elsewhere

It's nothing to do with 'hurting the consumer,' and everything to do with a genuine concern for the humane slaughter of animals.

Why do people always have to deflect this concern with their own agenda?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with 'hurting the consumer,' and everything to do with a genuine concern for the humane slaughter of animals.

Why do people always have to deflect this concern with their own agenda?

KFC's halal meat is pre-stunned before killing. Is that less humane than their non-halal meat? :confused:
  • Options
    superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If half the people in this thread cared about animals as much as they're making out, they'd be vegetarians. I find it funny how they're amplifying how much they care about animals because it gives them an excuse to bash muslims, and come across as victims. Poor you.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As KFC is a private company surely they have the choice of where they place their shops and what they put in them? If the consumer doesn't like it they'll make their voices known and we'll see if KFC will adapt. I thought KFC were only doing this for a trial anyway and nothing was set in stone for the future. We as consumers have a right where to spend our money but where does the line end when it comes to expecting private companies to be the way we want them to be? I mean this isn't the NHS or other public service is it?

As other posters have said, considering what revelations about the quality and treatment of chickens have come out regarding KFC generally, is this not a second point to that glaring one? Especially given what seems to be a valid report stating only 10% of halal meat in the UK is not pre-stunned. I believe BG has said in the past 10% is still too much but it's better than 100%.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask the atheists (lol, sounds so weird), what's the problem in eating halaal or kosher meat ? :confused:

You guys don't have any religious guidance to follow; where's the problem ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Can I ask the atheists (lol, sounds so weird), what's the problem in eating halaal or kosher meat ? :confused:

I'm an atheist and I don't mind either Halal/Kosher meat. Many of the people that do (not all) seem to using this issue as a scapegoat to mask their underlying racist views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »

don't you know! You can catch MUSLIM!! :eek: ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    don't you know! You can catch MUSLIM!! :eek: ;)

Yes we are the Borg, resistance is futile. :p

It's such a nonsense innit? :)
  • Options
    Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does everybody keep going on about how the animals are slaughtered and whether it's racist??? :confused: That's not what I asked :)

My original comment was to find out if KFC had done this (making certain restaurants Halal only) and to raise the question 'why?'.

If there's a call for an eatery that serves only halal meat then open a new one - don't change existing restaurants and take-aways.

I feel equally strongly that many foods are losing their salt content and thus their flavour. That's nothing to do with religion or animal cruelty it's restricting our choice! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If there's a call for an eatery that serves only halal meat then open a new one - don't change existing restaurants and take-aways.

Why not?

Do you have a problem eating halal chicken? (Or halal sweets...mmmm)

If you ran a takeaway and felt that you could get more customers by serving halal food don't you think you should be able to? No-one is forcing KFC to serve Halal, whatever the Daily Mail says. They're choosing to do so, because they think they will make more money by doing so.
  • Options
    Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Why not?"
    - because you're taking away my choice
    "Do you have a problem eating halal chicken? (Or halal sweets...mmmm)"
    - I wouldn't knowingly want to eat halal but I should have the choice. If I went to a Muslim country would I have the choice?
    "whatever the Daily Mail says"
    - has it been in there now then? I wouldn't know I don't read it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? because KFC can make more money this way, as it allows them to sell their products to a wider range a people. It's fairly logical reasoning...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Why not?"
    - because you're taking away my choice

You have a choice. Eat there or don't. KFC is hardly an essential in life.

The *only* think I agree on with the anti-halal stuff, is that people weren't told about it when it was introduced in places, so people think it's all underhand. AFAIK, the likes of takeway shops do tend to offer signage; after all the main advantage for them is to attract more customers.

But I'd be very interested if you can think and explain to us *why* you wouldn't want to eat halal. Stick a halal slice of chicken and a non-halal slice of chicken in a laboratory test and it would be very difficult to tell which is which.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain the reasoning why they wouldn't want to eat halal meat aside from the unverifiable aspect of animal treatment or religious reasons?
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Why not?"
    - because you're taking away my choice"Do you have a problem eating halal chicken? (Or halal sweets...mmmm)"
    - I wouldn't knowingly want to eat halal but I should have the choice. If I went to a Muslim country would I have the choice?
    "whatever the Daily Mail says"
    - has it been in there now then? I wouldn't know I don't read it.

I'm afraid It's not all about you.

A lot of restaurants are not pandering to minorities with this move but are simply responding to market forces.

The chances are, the increase in demand for their food among Muslim consumers will outweigh any loss of demand from non-Muslim customers who feel so strongly about the way their KFC was slaughtered that they go elsewhere.

That's business.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid It's not all about you.

A lot of restaurants are not pandering to minorities with this move but are simply responding to market forces.

The chances are, the increase in demand for their food among Muslim consumers will outweigh any loss of demand from non-Muslim customers who feel so strongly about the way their KFC was slaughtered that they go elsewhere.

That's business.

Not always the case though. I live in Hackney which is not a majority muslim area and still our local KFC has decided to go Halal. They do say it's a trial, but I'd like to know their reasoning for trying it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Not always the case though. I live in Hackney which is not a majority muslim area and still our local KFC has decided to go Halal. They do say it's a trial, but I'd like to know their reasoning for trying it.

The demographic is not important.

The reasoning is this:

If we serve non-halal meat, non-muslims will eat here and most muslims will not.

If we serve halal meat, muslims will eat here and so will non-muslims

The chains have failed to take into account the OUTRAGE felt by certain non-muslims sections of society, which, as we've pointed out, makes no logical sense.

If however, the branches find they lose more business than they gain by being halal, rest assured they'll change back.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I imagine they might be wanting to get a feel for how non Muslims feel about it. If most people don't object, it might be cheaper and less complicated to have all their outlets sell only halal.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    I think it goes beyond that. Unless you're Jewish or a Muslim you have to adhere to the law and stun the animal before slaughtering it. When it comes to slaughter, only those two religious groups have a choice. That's not right. We should either allow everyone to slaughter without stunning or make everyone stick to animal welfare laws.

Do they stun it by clubbing it on the head first - which would probably kill it anyway ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do they stun it by clubbing it on the head first - which would probably kill it anyway ?

Who are *they*?
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe the area needs to majority Muslim, but there needs to be enough Muslims to make it a profitable move.

Judging by a friend's description of Hackney and having heard Dianne Abbott speak about her constituency, it seems like there's a large enough local Muslim population to make serving Halal food worthwhile.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the area needs to majority Muslim, but there needs to be enough Muslims to make it a profitable move.

Judging by a friend's description of Hackney and having heard Dianne Abbott speak about her constituency, it seems like there's a large enough local Muslim population to make serving Halal food worthwhile.

It's a majority Black Carribean and African area in Hackney. I am not saying I agree or disagree with it. I am just stating the facts as I see them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe Londoners are less likely to be scared of halal...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »

The *only* think I agree on with the anti-halal stuff, is that people weren't told about it when it was introduced in places, so people think it's all underhand. AFAIK, the likes of takeway shops do tend to offer signage; after all the main advantage for them is to attract more customers.

Myself, I don't even worry about that. KFC don't bother to write 'poultry reared in terrible conditions' or 'eggs that come from battery hens' on the door, do they? The reason they didn't need to tell anyone they were going halal, is that it makes no difference AT ALL to anyone that isn;t muslim.

Anyone who says is makes a difference is utterly kidding themselves ; stop eating from indian (and often chinese) takeaways, stop buying burgers in town, stop getting them goddawful kebabs. Just stop eating anything you don't ask the provenance of immediately, and I'll have a bit more sympathy for your 'plight'.