Options

Sol Campbell .... Tory S**m

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
Forum Member
Sol Campbell....a great footballer but turn coat potential politician.

I always find it amazing given his family and up bringing that people like Sol Campbell turn out as Tory s**m. I guess his recent gained wealth means a loss of his background values and principles.

To hear him defend wealth and privilege is sickening. He should know better.

Comments

• Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great defender, invincible, legend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Great defender, invincible, legend.

But now a millionaire leech defending only the rich, privileged and the status quo
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turn coat potential politician? Why change his nature?
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deccydoo wrote: »
    But now a millionaire leech defending only the rich, privileged and the status quo
    Human beings having self interests, shocking.
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand him.

Since retiring from football he's made a career as a professional race victim; on more than one occasion he has claimed that football is inherently racist from the top down, and even claimed that racism was the only reason he was never England captain. Around the same time, I also read an article that said he was selling his home for £25m.

He's a typical case of wanting to have his cake and eat it. Football made him an extremely wealthy man - in fact he even abandoned Tottenham Hotspur, the team that made him the player he was, and joined their arch-rivals Arsenal on a free transfer, showing him to be fairly callou himself - he played in World Cups, Champions League finals, has a net worth of £34m apparently (all because he can kick a ball), but the job that gave him all this is merely consisting of a bunch of racists because he never became England captain.

I'm not claiming he can't be the victim of racism because he's rich or anything, but he comes across as a completely deluded egomaniac who can't consider any possible personal failures and would rather attempt to gain sympathy from a nation with an unemployment crisis rather than look at himself.

No surprise he's moaning about tax, then. He's quite clearly incapable of thinking about anything other than Sol Campbell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with Hewitt. The racism card is hard to justify or believe from him.

Campbell uses it against the FA, criticises MOTD for the lack of black presenters and then joins/defends the nasty party. Outside of UKIP the Tories will have far fewer black faces (than the groups he berates) in mainstream politics today

I like the view he is an increasingly self centred loathe some individual
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,060
    Forum Member
    I dislike Campbell as a person and the Tories should stay clear of him - but its hardly a surprise that working class sportsmen who make a lot of money should become more inclined to vote Tory - as Labour's talk of 50% tax rates and a mansion tax isn't going to appeal much to anyone on a very high salary with a big house.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun's use of him will backfire as he was hardly popular beforehand let alone now, shows the desperation of the Tories and their supporters when they are forced to wheel in such people as Campbell to support them.

Maybe they will have Myleene Klass crying crocodile tears tomorrow too ?
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do people who vote tory, become scum? Is this the usual loveable nature from the left again?
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unlike Russell Brand who holds the same views as a successful entertainer and millionaire, as he did when he was a down at heel drug user. Yet Brand gets criticized for his honest views.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Increasingly comes across as someone who has headed a few too many footballs.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    why do people who vote tory, become scum? Is this the usual loveable nature from the left again?

From some on the left perhaps.
  • Options
    TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »

Sadly yes, anyone who works hard and makes the most of their talent is not liked by many on the left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly yes, anyone who works hard and makes the most of their talent is not liked by many on the left.

Not quite sure I would say a professional footballer works hard. Maybe you should ask police officers, teachers, nurses/doctors etc if a footballer works hard?

It is impossible for anyone on the right to have a social conscience
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To hear him defend wealth and privilege is sickening. He should know better.

Yeah, we need our politicians to promote poverty and disadvantage.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite sure I would say a professional footballer works hard. Maybe you should ask police officers, teachers, nurses/doctors etc if a footballer works hard?

It is impossible for anyone on the right to have a social conscience

Are they also scum if they vote Tory?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Yeah, we need our politicians to promote poverty and disadvantage.

Clearly greed and division is better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Are they also scum if they vote Tory?

The Tories are a party for the rich and privileged. They have no conscience or care for anyone but themselves . Outside of the Home Counties they are virtually non existent .
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    I can't stand him.

Since retiring from football he's made a career as a professional race victim; on more than one occasion he has claimed that football is inherently racist from the top down, and even claimed that racism was the only reason he was never England captain. Around the same time, I also read an article that said he was selling his home for £25m.

He's a typical case of wanting to have his cake and eat it. Football made him an extremely wealthy man - in fact he even abandoned Tottenham Hotspur, the team that made him the player he was, and joined their arch-rivals Arsenal on a free transfer, showing him to be fairly callou himself - he played in World Cups, Champions League finals, has a net worth of £34m apparently (all because he can kick a ball), but the job that gave him all this is merely consisting of a bunch of racists because he never became England captain.

I'm not claiming he can't be the victim of racism because he's rich or anything, but he comes across as a completely deluded egomaniac who can't consider any possible personal failures and would rather attempt to gain sympathy from a nation with an unemployment crisis rather than look at himself.

No surprise he's moaning about tax, then. He's quite clearly incapable of thinking about anything other than Sol Campbell.

I can't say if there's racism within the inner workings of football but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. If Campbell believes he was overlooked for the job for which he was the best candidate and most qualified for because of race then he has every right to vent.

He may be wealthy but it's appalling that he's criticised for it. He should be admired for being a self made man, coming up from working class roots and applauded for the incredible hard work and dedication he's put in to get to become the best in class in one of the most competitive vocations on earth.

Critisising him for erroneously playing the race card may be valid. Critising him for achievement is most certainly not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No one is criticising Campbell for his achievements.

My criticism comes from his new found political allegiances. He seems to have lost any sense of his roots and background, now he is a property dealing multi millionaire. Not many with his roots would embrace the nasty party. He flirts with them while at the same time criticises other institutions as racist

Not many people from a BME background vote for the nasty party and they have even fewer BME representatives

He is a hypocrite, does he not see the institutionalised racism in his new friends?

So when exactly did Sol Campbell become a right wing Tory scum?
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guy who came from humble origins and made a success out of his life via hardwork and determination supports the party of aspiration over the party that rewards inaction. I'm shocked.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Piss off back to the sports forums and take your trolling with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Piss off back to the sports forums and take your trolling with you.

The totalitarian nastiness of the right

UKIP supporter?
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    From some on the left perhaps.

Yes, some, but why is it so often that those some accuse others of not being empathetic with their fellow man (in this case "They have no conscience or care for anyone but themselves ") and call them words like "scum"? Do these some not have a sense of irony? ;-)
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    No one is criticising Campbell for his achievements.

My criticism comes from his new found political allegiances. He seems to have lost any sense of his roots and background, now he is a property dealing multi millionaire. Not many with his roots would embrace the nasty party. He flirts with them while at the same time criticises other institutions as racist

Not many people from a BME background vote for the nasty party and they have even fewer BME representatives

He is a hypocrite, does he not see the institutionalised racism in his new friends?

Do you realise that not all Conservatives fit the stereotype you're on the verge of describing? Some of them are actually quite moderate and decent people and I'm saying this as someone who generally supports Labour.