The Scum about to start new smear Campaign against Ed

124»

Comments

• Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Out of interest how many times have the Sun supported Labour since 69, not the Herald as we are now going back to a different regime.
    Personally I don't judge the Sun for who they support politically, I judge then on how low they are prepared to stoop when resorting to despicable lies to influence public opinion.

Labour 4 times and the Tories 6
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Labour 4 times and the Tories 6

Thanks, yes surprised it's 4 times, even allowing for Blair years.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    The standards of proof for a smear campaign and what qualifies as one seem to have changed recently.
    If that's the worst they can come up with about Ed...
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Some people seem awfully upset that the Sun no longer supports Labour - I dont remember similar wails of woe from Tories when the Sun was cheerleading for Labour over the years. Just out of interest - since WW2 the Sun/Herald has supported Labour at more general elections than anyone else.

Labour voters have short memories , they have forgotten that 1997 -2010 every happened and the damage caused by the last Labour government let alone the joys of Callaghan as PM
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happens every election campaign. Most of the dailies come out in support of the Tories because they have hugely wealthy proprietors who are scared of losing some of their millions under a Labour government. The Establishment closes ranks and we get screwed for another 5 years and fed lies about economic recovery while ordinary people queue at food banks or suffer wage freezes while those at the top continue to pay themselves six figure bonuses while taxpayers subsidise their employees' wages
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I am surprise the SUN and DAVID CAMERON are not using the fact that ED MILIBAND is an ATHEIST against him

That would be silly.

Religious people see atheists as misguided and express a desire to get to know them and change them.

The non-religious see it as a welcome change from all the pretence.

Either way, the result is unlikley to be negative.
  • Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be silly.

Religious people see atheists as misguided and express a desire to get to know them and change them.

The non-religious see it as a welcome change from all the pretence.

Either way, the result is unlikley to be negative.

The problem with atheism for a politician is if you believe that there is no "good" or "evil" then what are you trying to achieve? In which long term direction are you taking society?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    This happens every election campaign. Most of the dailies come out in support of the Tories because they have hugely wealthy proprietors who are scared of losing some of their millions under a Labour government. The Establishment closes ranks and we get screwed for another 5 years and fed lies about economic recovery while ordinary people queue at food banks or suffer wage freezes while those at the top continue to pay themselves six figure bonuses while taxpayers subsidise their employees' wages

There are positives in that the declining newspapers are now far less influential than they once were because of impartial TV and radio coverage and diverse online media so although the vicious attacks against Miliband and Farage and their respective parties will continue, those attacks will be less effective overall.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    The problem with atheism for a politician is if you believe that there is no "good" or "evil" then what are you trying to achieve? In which long term direction are you taking society?

You don't need a deity to define what socially acceptable behaviours are.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are positives in that the declining newspapers are now far less influential than they once were because of impartial TV and radio coverage and diverse online media so although the vicious attacks against Miliband and Farage and their respective parties will continue, those attacks will be less effective overall.

True. I don't know what the Sun's circulation is these days compared with, say, 15 years ago before the internet really took off but I would hope that by now most people have enough sense to find more balanced news coverage away from the partisan newsprint media.

I used to read a daily paper up to about maybe 5 years ago but now I don't even bother picking up freebies like the Metro (not that there's anything of any interest in that loathsome rag anyway).
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    True. I don't know what the Sun's circulation is these days compared with, say, 15 years ago before the internet really took off but I would hope that by now most people have enough sense to find more balanced news coverage away from the partisan newsprint media.

I used to read a daily paper up to about maybe 5 years ago but now I don't even bother picking up freebies like the Metro (not that there's anything of any interest in that loathsome rag anyway).
    I only buy the Sun on Saturday for its TV GUIDE.