Options

Black Christmas & the Remake!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,632
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Opinions? Just seen it for the first time. I'm a huge fan of the original, so I thought I'd check it out.

It really shows how different the slasher franchise is; the original wasn't about the gore, or having model-type actresses. Not saying the girls weren't attractive, they were, but they felt more like real people in the original, the remake felt like a horror set in the Playboy Mansion.
The original was so unsettling; no scary music in the death scenes, it was quiet. The fact we knew nothing about Billy added to the terror in my opinion.

That being said, I don't hate the remake. It's not as bad as people make out. I just think had they made this movie and changed the killer's name it would have stood up better. I did get tired of seeing eye balls being ripped out though. Something I enjoyed was the differences the girls had, they all came from different backgrounds; Claire never knowing her sister; Dana hating hers; one of them had similarities to that of an alcoholic; one of them had a rich father and so on.

What's your opinion on both movies?

Comments

• Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the original on Bluray last year and while I did enjoy it the US disc had such bad lipsynch it distracted me for the entire movie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the original, it was actually scary watching it many years ago on Christmas eve.
    The remake is watchable but not comparable in my eyes to the original.
  • Options
    suchavictimsuchavictim Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the remake gets unfairly dissed, yes it's not as good as the original, that is a fair statement but I think as a whole it's pretty fun and holds some nice underrated performances, especially from Crystal Lowe, Katie Cassidy and Lacey Chabert.

As a slasher I think it did well, we had eye gouging, head smashing and ever a bit of cannibalism. I enjoyed it because I didn't over think it.