The supermarkets were busy today..end of the world

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
Compare today to, last Mon xmas eve, and today hogmanay has to have been the busiest day this week

Thu..Fri..Sat..Sun...very quiet for the time of year, but come 10am, the queues were up the isles, and we didnt have thgis sort of rush on xmas eve, it was complete madness, and were not even closed tomorrow

Comments

• netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nipped to the shops this afternoon to get some fruit, everywhere was dead, hardly saw a soul, mind you it was pissing down.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Compare today to, last Mon xmas eve, and today hogmanay has to have been the busiest day this week

Thu..Fri..Sat..Sun...very quiet for the time of year, but come 10am, the queues were up the isles, and we didnt have thgis sort of rush on xmas eve, it was complete madness, and were not even closed tomorrow

Problem is a lot of them think we are closed and that's why they're panic buying a little bit. Most which actually asked if we were open were stunned.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to our local Tesco at about 4pm today and I can honestly say that in nearly 10 years I have never seen it as busy as it was when I was there today. It was madness. It was so busy staff were working the self-service tills :confused:
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird - especially as some supermarkets will be open*

* Exception will be Scotland where no-one will be in a fit state to open anything except alka-seltzer
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    End of the world? (again)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Weird - especially as some supermarkets will be open*

* Exception will be Scotland where no-one will be in a fit state to open anything except alka-seltzer

With a bit of luck ;):D
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    End of the world? (again)

Had to put that in as some customers commented..you would think it was the end of the world
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Had to put that in as some customers commented..you would think it was the end of the world

:)
    I was in Asda this morning, and it was quite busy now I think about it. I only wanted milk, so didn't hang around - but it was definitely busier than usual.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just today but Asda has been manic for the last three days. I bought stuff for my grandchildren which had to take back and each day the car park was full and had to wait for a space. never seen that before ! I am hoping that means supermarkets will be dead in January and i can saunter at leisure :D:D
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total and utter madness in Sainsburys today.

Shop looked like a bomb-site shelfs empty, queues up the aisles.

Unbelievable.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same in both Farmfoods and Asda by me absolute chaos.
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to Tesco this morning, expected a mad rush, but the opposite was true, no different to any other Monday and I was a happy camper indeed.

Last Monday (Christmas Eve) wasn't much busier, but the weekend before Christmas was totally manic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I went into Tesco to get me some of that Guinness.

It wasn't too bad to be honest. In fact quite refreshing to not have someone going into the back of my ankles whilst giving me a death stare every 30 seconds.

Although this was about 20 minutes before it closed.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waitrose was awful earlier, M&S a lot better.

When I went back to Waitrose on my home it was fine as well?
  • NerdyMageeNerdyMagee Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    It was busy today in Asda, and it was raining and horribly windy.
  • hunkyhunky Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Tesco near us was packed and you couldn't get down the drinks aisle for trolleys.
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I popped to Sainsbury's just before 6 this evening (closed at 6, apparently), but it was exceptionally quiet, unlike just before Christmas. I've never seen queues like those on the 23rd of this month - on every aisle the queues were stretching almost to the back of the (large!) store. Fortunately they were moving quickly, though.
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen queues like those on the 23rd of this month - on every aisle the queues were stretching almost to the back of the (large!) store. Fortunately they were moving quickly, though.

Yeah weekend before Christmas was crazy indeed! I left my basket sitting at the back of the huge queue waiting at self scanner on the Saturday before Christmas and walked out the door, can't be done with huge queues. Now I know were trolly rage comes from haha
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NRG wrote: »
    Yeah weekend before Christmas was crazy indeed! I left my basket sitting at the back of the huge queue waiting at self scanner on the Saturday before Christmas and walked out the door, can't be done with huge queues. Now I know were trolly rage comes from haha

I really do understand! We'd had an online delivery the day before so fortunately only needed a couple of extra bits that day, but, like I said - crikey - I'd never seen queues like it in my life :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NRG wrote: »

Quite :eek:

http://news.sky.com/story/1031967/m-and-s-trolley-row-man-critical-after-attack
    M&S Trolley Row: Man Critical After 'Attack'
    A 30-year-old woman is arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm after a man is critically injured at a store in London.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it'll be quieter tomorrow.