Options

Does you Android Tablet get updates?

FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
Forum Member
One often hears iPad owners having a dig at Android tablets to the effect that Apple pushes out its latest updates to quite old tablets e.g. iPad2 whereas Android tablets quickly become obsolete as they don't get the latest updates.

Now there has been some decent Android tablets around for some time now I was wondering just how true that jibe is.

Does anyone have a high end branded Android tablet e.g. Samsung Tab or Sony Xperia etc. and if so what is your experience of getting updates?

If you have an Android tablet that hasn't had any OS updates has it spoiled the user experience, is your tablet now feeling obsolete or is it obsolete?

If there are enough users around it should be for an interesting thread.

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want rapid updates then the only real official choice is get a Nexus. With the high end brands they usually do provide updates eventually though (unless they are old and no longer supported). Last article I read on this mentioned something 1.6% of Android devices are running Lollipop so far. It's not a problem for the more technical users who usually will find a way of installing updates from unofficial sources.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a Motorola Xoom 10" tablet that is stuck on 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
    Bought it 4 years ago, and it was running Honeycomb then, so it did get one upgrade.

Doesn't make much difference really. Perhaps it would be a little faster with a more up to date version? And perhaps a bit more secure?
    But then it wouldn't handle Flash content as easily as it does now.

I've thought of rooting it and putting a custom ROM on it, but haven't bothered as yet.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    If you want rapid updates then the only real official choice is get a Nexus. With the high end brands they usually do provide updates eventually though (unless they are old and no longer supported). Last article I read on this mentioned something 1.6% of Android devices are running Lollipop so far. It's not a problem for the more technical users who usually will find a way of installing updates from unofficial sources.

I'd read the thread regarding the pre-2014 Nexus 7 which has been made nearly unusable by the latest Android update!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    I'd read the thread regarding the pre-2014 Nexus 7 which has been made nearly unusable by the latest Android update!

Yes, I will be waiting for others to update their Xperia Z3 mobile phone to Lollipop before I am tempted. However I don't want this to end up a phone thread.

My experience is that iOS8 has ended up being a really bad move for my iPad2. A case of one update to many on an old device.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Yes, I will be waiting for others to update their Xperia Z3 mobile phone to Lollipop before I am tempted. However I don't want this to end up a phone thread.

My experience is that iOS8 has ended up being a really bad move for my iPad2. A case of one update to many on an old device.

I upgraded my Ipad2 to 8.3 and it runs fine. Have you done a factory reset?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5

The OTA Lollipop 5.0.2 update is rolling out now in other parts of the world, the UK version should be available this month.

I couldn't wait so I flashed it with the French Lollipop firmware, to be honest not much difference at all to Kitkat.

My mother has a Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 running Kitkat, no scheduled update to Lollipop yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I upgraded my Ipad2 to 8.3 and it runs fine. Have you done a factory reset?

I've tried everything in the known universe. The main issue as always is the stultifying slowness of Safari. None of the other browsers are any better as they all have to use the same engine.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

We've got a 2012 Nexus 7 in the house as it goes. I did notice the first version of Lollipop was soooo sluggish that it was practically unusable. Eventually though the later 5.0.2 version solved most of problems in our case thankfully. But I have been reading that Lollipop for some has been a total nightmare for many users on certain devices. Then again older Apple devices have also suffered sometimes with later iOS versions. Always best to wait I guess and not rush to update win older gadgets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    I've tried everything in the known universe. The main issue as always is the stultifying slowness of Safari. None of the other browsers are any better as they all have to use the same engine.

I find it OK, i've tested it against my Android devices and it isn't much different, I think it is more the crap websites that have so much garbage on their sites that sometimes sites can hang or are slow to load.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    We've got a 2012 Nexus 7 in the house as it goes. I did notice the first version of Lollipop was soooo sluggish that it was practically unusable. Eventually though the later 5.0.2 version solved most of problems in our case thankfully. But I have been reading that Lollipop for some has been a total nightmare for many users on certain devices. Then again older Apple devices have also suffered sometimes with later iOS versions. Always best to wait I guess and not rush to update win older gadgets.

Isn't more to do with encryption being on by default in 5? That seems to slow devices down.
  • Options
    42dragonfly42dragonfly Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I've got a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 - no updates to the OS since I got it last year.