Options

What (free) Anti virus Software do you use?

Paul M CPaul M C Posts: 1,069
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

Bit of an old chestnut this, but following on from my previous thread about AVG11 slowing my pc start up time, I am looking for a free replacement to AVG and just wondered what other people use?

I've heard Microsoft Security Essentials (as recommended in the other thread) is supposed to be effective, but I have just read (on various review sites) that scanning can take a long while on this? I seem to recall a mate of mine had this on his pc and he said the same (scanning was very slow)......

Other than that, I've heard some good things about Avast but not sure whether to take the plunge and change....

AVG has (in the past) been fine for me - it's just this new version 11 which I don't like (as I say, slows up start up time once the desktop icons are displayed - and I've checked it's not doing any scans or updates on startup)....Is there any where where you can get a link to go back to the previous version of AVG (9)? If I did roll this back would you be "forced" to download version 11 via updates on AVG?

Any help or opinions really appreciated!

Cheers

PS Running XP by the way....

Comments

• Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many threads on this subject, but the most favoured free anti-virus programmes seem to be Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira AntiVir. Also worth having Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and/or SuperAntiSpyware too.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Avast Free but as above, many threads on it and there are 3 or 4 popular ones.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MSE

Shall we close the thread now?
  • Options
    ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Avast and Eset Nod32 ( on seperate pc's ) Must say i'm finding Avast is getting better and better.

Has anyone tried Panda Cloud antivirus ?

If so , any good?
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    MSE

Another MSE vote here, I have MSE 2.0beta on my 4 PCs :)
  • Options
    subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MSE + Windows firewall (mixture of windows 7 and vista) on three laptops, Kaspersky on PC and fourth laptop (windows 7 firewall).

MSE is really good, light and doesn't hog the system, like AVG used to.

They only other security suite I like is Kaspersky, when Mcafee, norton, Avast and AVG failed to clean my friends PC, I used kaspersky (when she told me about the problem), and job done.

She has MSE aswell, so far no problems....

Microsoft have done a good job with MSE...
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a little known programme called 'Rising Anti-Virus'. In tests,it did quite well if not better than most of the better known free programmes. It has free updates as well.

http://download.cnet.com/Rising-Antivirus-2010-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10674783.html
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    AVIRA Personal .. best free AV you can get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClamAV. I don't use it much, though.
  • Options
    DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for MSE
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    MSE

A quick scan should only take a few minutes.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one for Avira. Didn't like AVG.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avira AntiVir Personal 10