[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    If Ruby wins it will be 'the winkers' from The Restaurant all over again
  • Options
    Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    i#ve never liked P Hollywood but i can't bear him this year he's even more insufferable than usual

I always feel hes trying to live up to the character of 'Simon Cowell of baking' which is really annoying
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *sigh*
    We only have the judges' word that it tastes amazing.
    /facepalm.
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the company guys, off out to get my tea and maybe cakes too :D

Shame Christine went :(
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've obviously been lined up for a Kimberley/Ruby final
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Its hard when you cant taste them!

It is, but there are 4 people who do taste them, and if any one of them disagreed with the others, we know they're not afraid to say so.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    i#ve never liked P Hollywood but i can't bear him this year he's even more insufferable than usual

Yes agree. I've worked with someone who tried to bully and was far far worse as was my ex too. I think I'd just laugh at him, good job I have no ambitions to be on GBBO.
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww, poor Christine :(

This week's show should have been sponsored by Kleenex.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    I like Frances, but then I like all of them.

Good for Sue for sticking up for her.

I like her, too. She is creative and takes risks. I can't taste the food, so my eyes are sitting at the table as well. :D
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    Ruby could serve a turd on a plate.....gawd bless her
  • Options
    brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but I am really quite annoyed that Ruby got star baker for the 2lots of dross she produced. The shed looked like it had been sat on. Favouritism for Ruby I am feeling...disgusting.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    If Ruby wins it will be 'the winkers' from The Restaurant all over again

At least Ruby can bake whereas the Winkers could not cook a thing. She deserves to still be in, but has certainly been praised excessively.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the look of Becca's cake the most.
  • Options
    ivqiiivqii Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I am really quite annoyed that Ruby got star baker for the 2lots of dross she produced. The shed looked like it had been sat on. Favouritism for Ruby I am feeling...disgusting.

Do you think she is possibly???

With Hollywood's track record I suppose it's feasible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I actually think this is a great idea but it would mean the judges not seeing any of the baking at all, so I'm not sure the show would really work.

Different room. Don't let them taste the technical bakes in front of the judges. They only have to take one look at the contestants' faces to know who bakes what. The whole "blind judging" is a bit of a joke.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    ivqii wrote: »
    Do you think she is possibly???

With Hollywood's track record I suppose it's feasible

Oh yes. Under proved and under cooked, but that didn't get mentioned at the end. I do wonder if it's a collusion between Paul and the director.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,861
    Forum Member
    Ruby's cake looked the least professional out of them all, ok there was a lot of technique in it but Christine made her own fondant etc.. which was more than the others so I'm disappointed that they seemed to place less emphasis on that and it does seem like they're grooming ruby. However, I would not be at all surprised if ruby goes next week, there hasn't really been a 'shock' and I think she might mess up and go (or maybe it's wishful thinking as I simply cannot stand the whole 'it's so rubbish, I'm awful' winging) Still think Kimberley will win even though Beca is my favourite :)
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched tonight's GBBO. What has come over Mary Berry when she praised Ruby's efforts on the last cake she baked?! :confused: I'm beginning to understand why Ruby is constantly criticised as I find her woe-is-upon-me attitude quite annoying. As for Paul Hollywood, he's also turning me off big time...:mad:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/08/the-great-british-bake-off-self-depreciating-ruby-tandoh-riles-viewers-on-twitter-4139575/
  • Options
    mangobuttermangobutter Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think ruby realises she does the woe is me too much, so she has made an effort to stop. A winner needs humbleness but she needs to also be strong IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flanno wrote: »
    I've watched tonight's GBBO. What has come over Mary Berry when she praised Ruby's efforts on the last cake she baked?! :confused: I'm beginning to understand why Ruby is constantly criticised as I find her woe-is-upon-me attitude quite annoying. As for Paul Hollywood, he's also turning me off big time...:mad:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/08/the-great-british-bake-off-self-depreciating-ruby-tandoh-riles-viewers-on-twitter-4139575/

Oh god, the first picture (of Ruby). LOL! :D
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Ruby's cake looked the least professional out of them all, ok there was a lot of technique in it but Christine made her own fondant etc.. which was more than the others so I'm disappointed that they seemed to place less emphasis on that and it does seem like they're grooming ruby. However, I would not be at all surprised if ruby goes next week, there hasn't really been a 'shock' and I think she might mess up and go (or maybe it's wishful thinking as I simply cannot stand the whole 'it's so rubbish, I'm awful' winging) Still think Kimberley will win even though Beca is my favourite :)

Beca's my favourite too and hopefully she's learned her lesson about testing cakes before the day.

I think the whole episode was ridiculous really. It's why we don't make cakes with vegetables all the time, they don't taste as good and so, for a show where it's all about the taste, it was a bit of a waste of time imo.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As none of us are there actually seeing the food and, more importantly tasting it, how can we say the judges are wrong?
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As none of us are there actually seeing the food and, more importantly tasting it, how can we say the judges are wrong?

Well because for a start you could actually see that Ruby's chocolate wasn't tempered properly, it was dull and cloudy, it should have been shiny and rich looking, yet Mary said it was tempered beautifully. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Alli-F wrote: »
    I think the whole episode was ridiculous really. It's why we don't make cakes with vegetables all the time, they don't taste as good and so, for a show where it's all about the taste, it was a bit of a waste of time imo.

Veg cakes can and do taste really nice when cooked well, like most baked products. And to me, they count more as a cake and a worthwhile test of baking skills than a couple of bits of meringue drenched in icing.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A winner needs humbleness but she needs to also be strong IMO.
    (excuse me folks, I'm going to get a bit shouty)

The winner is going to be the one who bakes best in the final. Everything else is irrelevant.

IT'S A BAKING CONTEST NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST.

The fact Ruby appears to be surviving despite the pitchfork-and-torch waving mobs on the internet is, if anything, a proof that the conspiracy theories are wrong. if the producers were fixing the show to maximise later income, wouldn't they make sure the most popular one won, rather than the one half the internet want thrown down a well?

Unless you also believe the producers are attempting to scuttle the good ship GBBO because it's become too popular or something and they want people to go watch something else.

Give me strength, let alone Ruby.
This discussion has been closed.